2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

For sleepers, I like RB Laube (5'9", 210, 4.45) in about round 5. Good burst, low pad level and a terrific receiver.

Also for slot corners, there is Jarrian Jones (6'0", 192, 4.49) and CB/S Renardo Green (6'0", 186, 4,45) both in round 5'ish............not as good as Sainristil, but HE will go in the 3rd. Green could also play as an outside press or zone corner.

15 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Arnold and Mitchell (I'm assuming) and who else?

DeJean. He's convinced me with his instincts for the game. I think all three could be gone by 15 though.

I certainly get why people are focusing on the CB group as a likely 1st round target for GB. If the BPA/BVA is a player from that group, that will probably be the pick. However, I think we may be all over-emphasizing the perceived "need" for a boundary CB. 

I think the team is probably a lot higher on Valentine, and even Stokes than a lot of people here. There is a very good argument to make that under Hafley's scheme, Valentine should be an even better fit (coupled with the expected growth from a 2nd year player), and the same can be said about Stokes. This DC switch could very well save his career because Stokes is a press-man CB through and through. The Packers aren't going to give up on the former 1st round pick that easy.

Now you can make the argument that with the injury histories of Alexander and Stokes, a boundary CB in round 1 makes sense, but I don't think it's as simple as "we need to draft a CB because we need a starter opposite 23." I think the Packers already believe that guy is No. 37 or 21. 

So, while I could certainly see the Packers go CB in round 1, I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we make it to Day 3 and we haven't taken any CB, other than maybe a true slot guy. 

• Like 7

Good post, packfan.  The internal perspective of D+D Gute might be very different from what the common-fan presumptions are.  I don't know anything, but safety and slot seem both more urgent than a boundary corner.  

I am a little uncertain about this comment that you made:  "This DC switch could very well save his career because Stokes is a press-man CB through and through."

In yesterday's presser, what MLF said he liked first about Hafley's scheme was **more** "eyes on the ball", which does NOT seem press-man?  Hafley said he values eyes on the ball, and that press-man works against that.  So, I didn't get hear anything from the head coach or the DC to suggest that press-man is what either of them prioritizes?  Hafley obviously talked about mixing things up, so like ever coach he'll have some press-man mixed in with lots of zone.  And maybe I'm misinterpreting, and there is more nuance; maybe the safeties/slots will have eyes on ball on a lot of calls, zone; even while the boundaries are doing press-man, non-zone?  I don't know.  

Point of ramble, I think, is that Hafley seems unlikely to play lots more press-man, and his arrival is unlikely to change the world for Stokes.  Stokes being healthy might change his world, though, regardless of coach; and good coaching might certainly help him improve his game, whether for playing zone or press.  

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Good post, packfan.  The internal perspective of D+D Gute might be very different from what the common-fan presumptions are.  I don't know anything, but safety and slot seem both more urgent than a boundary corner.  

I am a little uncertain about this comment that you made:  "This DC switch could very well save his career because Stokes is a press-man CB through and through."

In yesterday's presser, what MLF said he liked first about Hafley's scheme was **more** "eyes on the ball", which does NOT seem press-man?  Hafley said he values eyes on the ball, and that press-man works against that.  So, I didn't get hear anything from the head coach or the DC to suggest that press-man is what either of them prioritizes?  Hafley obviously talked about mixing things up, so like ever coach he'll have some press-man mixed in with lots of zone.  And maybe I'm misinterpreting, and there is more nuance; maybe the safeties/slots will have eyes on ball on a lot of calls, zone; even while the boundaries are doing press-man, non-zone?  I don't know.  

Point of ramble, I think, is that Hafley seems unlikely to play lots more press-man, and his arrival is unlikely to change the world for Stokes.  Stokes being healthy might change his world, though, regardless of coach; and good coaching might certainly help him improve his game, whether for playing zone or press.  

To be fair, he also said, "I like to press people" and said he "loves" press man coverage.

The vibe I got from that presser is that they're still figuring out the scheme, and the big priority is just getting guys to play harder and bring that energy you see from defenses like SF, Houston, NYJ, etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Safety is clearly the #1 priority.  I'm think Dejean at #25 if he's there, but possibly Tyler Nubin if he tests well.  After the Hafley press conference it's pretty clear that free safety is a major concern.  

The way he answered that question about what he looks for in a free safety, it sounds like we'll either be bringing Ed Reed out of retirement or going overseas to find someone genetically engineered in a lab.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Safety is clearly the #1 priority.  I'm think Dejean at #25 if he's there, but possibly Tyler Nubin if he tests well.  After the Hafley press conference it's pretty clear that free safety is a major concern.  

Yea, I'd be very surprised at this point if we don't sign at least one safety in FA (probably in the tier of Whitehead, Gilman or Fuller) and then draft one pretty high. Classic Gutey double dip.

If the Giants put the transition tag on McKinney, don't be surprised if Gutey takes a big swing there (like he did with Kyle Fuller). 

3 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

The way he answered that question about what he looks for in a free safety, it sounds like we'll either be bringing Ed Reed out of retirement or going overseas to find someone genetically engineered in a lab.

Basically, they need Nick Collins. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, I'd be very surprised at this point if we don't sign at least one safety in FA (probably in the tier of Whitehead, Gilman or Fuller) and then draft one pretty high. Classic Gutey double dip.

If the Giants put the transition tag on McKinney, don't be surprised if Gutey takes a big swing there (like he did with Kyle Fuller). 

Yeah .. they could go big for an established safety in FA or via trade, but so used to the Packers not doing that kind of stuff that I feel they will stick to the draft like usual.   Seems a free agent safety of quality is a must, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. they could go big for an established safety in FA or via trade, but so used to the Packers not doing that kind of stuff that I feel they will stick to the draft like usual.   Seems a free agent safety of quality is a must, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

At a minimum you're likely going to see us add a guy like Gilman (connection to Ansley) or Fuller (connection to Hafley). Neither one will be expensive, the safety market is always cheap AF compared to most position groups. 

Two guys I haven't seen bought up very much are CB TJ Tampa and CB Max Melton.   Pre-Combine, I really like them as options on Day 2 but curious what others think.

I'm not sure I've read more varying scouting reports on a player than TJ Tampa.   One site will say he's a perfect player in man but struggles in zone and another says his best plays have come in zone and he may struggle in man.   One questions his physicality while another states he's very physical but needs to work on tackling technique.   One states he's incredibly fluid for a bigger (6'2") corner and able to mirror another says he's tight in the hips.     

I've watched enough individual games and highlights of each of them to think they would be good options.    They are two I'll be watching closely at the Combine 

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I certainly get why people are focusing on the CB group as a likely 1st round target for GB. If the BPA/BVA is a player from that group, that will probably be the pick. However, I think we may be all over-emphasizing the perceived "need" for a boundary CB. 

I think the team is probably a lot higher on Valentine, and even Stokes than a lot of people here. There is a very good argument to make that under Hafley's scheme, Valentine should be an even better fit (coupled with the expected growth from a 2nd year player), and the same can be said about Stokes. This DC switch could very well save his career because Stokes is a press-man CB through and through. The Packers aren't going to give up on the former 1st round pick that easy.

Now you can make the argument that with the injury histories of Alexander and Stokes, a boundary CB in round 1 makes sense, but I don't think it's as simple as "we need to draft a CB because we need a starter opposite 23." I think the Packers already believe that guy is No. 37 or 21. 

So, while I could certainly see the Packers go CB in round 1, I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we make it to Day 3 and we haven't taken any CB, other than maybe a true slot guy. 

I'm looking more at players who have the skills to play inside and outside - I think we could find an affordable stopgap in free agency that could handle it well - but at least a few weeks ago it looked like CB was the best marriage of value and need late in the first.

Now it looks like the best fits for us are longshots to make it to 25.

Interesting fact...

Ross Uglem -  YouTube commenter opines that Gutekunst "struggles to draft RB" in the comments.

Interesting stat:  AJ Dillon has more rushing yards than the 2 backs taken in front of him (C. Akers & JK Dobbins), & the only one of the 13 backs taken after him with more yards is Antonio Gibson.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Interesting fact...

Ross Uglem -  YouTube commenter opines that Gutekunst "struggles to draft RB" in the comments.

Interesting stat:  AJ Dillon has more rushing yards than the 2 backs taken in front of him (C. Akers & JK Dobbins), & the only one of the 13 backs taken after him with more yards is Antonio Gibson.

We all love Dillon the human being but the player hasn’t exactly set the world on fire on the field.  Comparing him to 2 RBs who suffered devastating injuries that forced them to miss a ton of games is also interesting