2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Fair to say that Tyler Nubin's 40 and 3-cone times will be some of the most important to see next week. He'll become one of the more popular mock picks at 25 if he runs/moves well. Checks every other box for Hafley's FS position.

Agreed.  What would you think Nubin needs to do to be in play?

40:  4.5?

3 cone:  sub 7.1??

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  What would you think Nubin needs to do to be in play?

40:  4.5?

3 cone:  sub 7.1??

I'd say that's the range. Clinton-Dix ran 4.58 and 7.16 with comparable size to Nubin. 

If Nubin gets close to 4.5 and 7.0, those marks would likely put him in 1st round territory. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd say that's the range. Clinton-Dix ran 4.58 and 7.16 with comparable size to Nubin. 

If Nubin gets close to 4.5 and 7.0, those marks would likely put him in 1st round territory. 

Savage was 4.36 and 7.03

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Fair to say that Tyler Nubin's 40 and 3-cone times will be some of the most important to see next week. He'll become one of the more popular mock picks at 25 if he runs/moves well. Checks every other box for Hafley's FS position.

Probably.  Although, I'm not sure he's much of a CF free safety which I believe is what Hafley prefers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Probably.  Although, I'm not sure he's much of a CF free safety which I believe is what Hafley prefers.

I think hes fringe and that will be determined by his numbers. He played plenty of CF at Minnesota. Question is, does he have the range to do it in the NFL. Testing will be huge. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I think hes fringe and that will be determined by his numbers. He played plenty of CF at Minnesota. Question is, does he have the range to do it in the NFL. Testing will be huge. 

Good football player, instinctive.  I dont thing he has the range or the stop/start change of direction for the next level.  I think there are defenses he can fit in,  not sure GB is one of them.

I would avoid paying too much attention to RAS when talking about safeties because it doesn't really model what the Packers are doing here.  Part of RAS is "size relative to the positional standards" but "Safety" is a position where a team might be starting both a 5'10" 200 lb guy and a 6'3" 235 guy (e.g. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor). Center Field safety and Box safety aren't really the same position, but there's a lot more variety in how teams are going to use their safeties than other defensive positions.  So rather than saying "this guy has a bad RAS, because while he's explosive, he's small" and "this guy has a good RAS, because he's huge but not really rangey" is not that useful.  Instead you should figure out what you want your safety to do, find the guys who can do that, and then select for the biggest fastest guys.  Like you shouldn't hold their height or their bench against a center field safety.

• Like 4

On 2/24/2024 at 1:28 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Want to see that he has that speed with legit RB weight, is my guess.  He is listed at 215, which is bigger than Aaron Jones.  If that is legit, sign me up.  But, just like I have been saying about Ennis Rakestraw, let's see an independent weigh-in on that number.  And to be clear, I am team Wright and team Rakestraw, I just want to be 100% with the information there.

I have been saying for a while, there are a LOT of RBs that I like in this draft.  It just lacks that day 1 complete player.  Like, tell me that a tandem of Audric Estime and Will Shipley wouldn't be very interesting.  I also kind of think that the "don't pay a RB" is bleeding into "don't draft a RB" and hurting the stock of some players.  I do think that you could probably plug and play Jonathon Brooks, Trey Benson, and Blake Corum.  While I hesitate to pick a RB in the first round, I don't think it is a waste to take one in the second.  We got 4 years out of AJ Dillon and 4 years out of Eddie Lacy.  Were they flawed? Sure.  But you don't have to go very far back in Packers draft history to find worse uses of second round picks.

Also, to be clear, I am not advocating for any specific RB in any specific round.  Only that I don't immediately dismiss the idea of a second round RB, if that is the way that the board lines up.  

Man, you've studied a lot more RB's than I have....tell me about Corum.  And tell me if I'm wrong.

I like the kid.  He looks like a capable NFL back.   I also do not see a superstar.  I do not see a franchise back.  I don't think he will scare a defense, but he will move chains, pass block and I feel like one of his best attributes is catching out of the backfield, even though I didn't see a lot of it.

But in terms of a pure runner, I just don't see anything special with him.  Like if the blocking is there to get 3 yards, he will get three yards.  So really, I see him as a tick above Jamal Williams, but well below an Aaron Jones type player.

No offense meant to Jamal, but he's not really special.  But he is adequate.