2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

With his workout here at the combine, did Jared Verse jump into the conversation for Green Bay at DE?

I expect Verse is long gone by 25. But if anybody from that top tier falls to 25, you have to at least talk about it.  How many pass rushers you have doesn't really enter into it, since teams want at least three good ones but there's no such thing as too many.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

With his workout here at the combine, did Jared Verse jump into the conversation for Green Bay at DE?

If so, can VanNess play IDL?

I think he's quite literally jumped out of the conversation, since he now seems even more unlikely to be available.

• Like 1

Terrion Arnold shares favorite Nick Saban story from his career - On3

Just a random note I stumbled on as I was researching Arnold's background.   Love this story.

Also, I'm trying to remember if it was Arnold that they talked about at the Combine and mentioned he had 6 dogs and was an avid hunter?    His background working with his grandfather as a roofer and the passion for the outdoors and hunting just had me wishing we were in a position to grab him.    Could be a perfect performance/lifestyle fit     

Edit - I was reminded that the 6 dogs and avid hunter profile was referring to Edgerrin Cooper - not Arnold.     Arnold has that blue-collar worker attitude, but not sure about the hunting bit anymore.   

Edited by Kampfgeist

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think he's quite literally jumped out of the conversation, since he now seems even more unlikely to be available.

All four of the top edge rushers with a RAS so far over 9. Should help more OL or DBs fall to 25 at least. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Terrion Arnold shares favorite Nick Saban story from his career - On3

Just a random note I stumbled on as I was researching Arnold's background.   Love this story.

Also, I'm trying to remember if it was Arnold that they talked about at the Combine and mentioned he had 6 dogs and was an avid hunter?    His background working with his grandfather as a roofer and the passion for the outdoors and hunting just had me wishing we were in a position to grab him.    Could be a perfect performance/lifestyle fit

6 dogs is Edgerrin Cooper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The "vertical stretch" argument you keep going back to is a red herring.  Teams aren't picking Odunze because they are looking for someone to fill a vertical stretch role. 

Yes, we will have to respectfully disagree, including whether or not my opinion is a red herring. For a 6'3, 210 guy with great hands, great contested catch artist who was reported to run a low 4.3 prior to this Combine, I would have thought teams would consider such a prospect for a role of challenging the Deep Third. For sure, it may not be the only role they'd be looking for out of him, but certainly one of the roles if they didn't already have such a WR on their roster who could do that role well. He still may be tried in that role as part of his toolshed. My initial comment was that his 4.45 didn't help his case in that regard. Hence, the counter-argument came that a team in the top 10 will take him for his all-around game. I get the argument. But multi-role WR prospects (say good at any role but not great in any one role) are much more plentiful than big, tall, sub-4.35 vertical stretch guys with great hands who are great at challenging the deep third (whilst they may or may not also be great at the short to intermediate stuff.) To my mind, post-Combine Brian Thomas, Jr. will be taken alot higher in round 1 precisely because a team wants that vertical stretch role filled in a great way. Supply and demand. There are plenty of multi-role guys like that in this draft. Odunze is one of them. Is he that much better than the rest that he is worth a top 10 pick? You and most others would say yes. I'll go against the grain and suggest no. So this is my rationale for why my hunch is that he won't go top 10. If I'm wrong and he goes top 10, I'll eat crow. Still, I'd love to see the Bears take him at #9, because again, I think he is overrated for what he brings. (Heresy!)

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Huh who has an “inside track” on free agents now that you “know of”? Someone looking to lose draft picks? 

For example, if our defensive coordinator worked with one. If one was a previous player here. If we had no state income tax. If we had anything else other than money to offer? Continuity? Surrounding cast? What is it that’s going to make the top free agent pick us? Cheese? 
Right so when the contract is 5 million more annually than any of us expected because we have to overpay, let’s all tell ourselves it’s no big deal because the gambling money.

41 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Tyler Nubin has said "playing for the Bears would be a dream." He's from St. Charles, IL. I say "Stop dreaming and set your sights higher."

Tyler Nubin either enjoys losing or doesn't like winning or he doesn't know the difference between a dream and a nightmare.