2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

19 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I have a hard time seeing a 4.61 WR as a top 20 lock. It could happen, but certainly not a lock IMO.

Also, the past two years make me hesitant to call McCarthy a lock. It sure *seems* like he’s a lock to go top 10, but then I felt the same about Will Levis and Malik Willis.

It's the time of year when fans get 40-time brain lock, Drake London was probably a 4.7 guy and was the first WR off the board in '22 at 8th overall. 40 times might be the most overvalued thing that many fans obsess about. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

DeJean, to me, can play safety at a high level in the NFL for 10+ years.  Not sure he can do that at corner, but I have zero doubt about him as a safety fit, even with the injury.

If he's there, he's as much of a no-brainer as LVN was last year.

I would be really excited to have him as a safety. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, R T said:

It's the time of year when fans get 40-time brain lock, Drake London was probably a 4.7 guy and was the first WR off the board in '22 at 8th overall. 40 times might be the most overvalued thing that many fans obsess about. 

Goes both ways. The Xavier Worthy talk is just as bad, all because he ran 4.21 in a straight line. 

• Like 1

If you wouldnt be fired up over having the fastest guy in nfl history at mlfs diposal idk what to tell you.

Are there people i would rather have? Sure. But if gute and mlf have a vision for the kid i am here for it

Edited by HokieHigh

I am again looking at more running backs, because it is fun.

I was impressed by Kimani Vidal.  At first, I looked at his highlights and thought that he was a sawed off Jamaal Williams.  Then I re-watched Jamaal Williams at BYU... holy **** is he number 1 rb in this draft class!  But Vidal has some pretty useful tools.  I wouldn't mind him being brought in at all.  There is a noticeable lack of long speed, but I would categorize him like Cody Schraeder, gets to top speed real quick, so while you can catch him, you also probably will have to catch him.   

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kimani-vidal/32005649-4410-3821-f78f-4dbf76ad9374

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lpVYif3QE

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

I have cooled on DeJean.

I feel like his injury probably was a lot worse than we’ll know. Unless it’s been cleared up and I just missed it, I think the mystery around it is no good.

I’m not even that high on taking a corner in this draft anymore either. At least not in the first round. I think they’re becoming a little overvalued. Especially if we’re going to be running mostly zone still. And considering we’ve got Jaire still, who is more than capable with the right DC.

I’m all about the OL. 

Feel the same way.  Was a nasty injury.  He is supposed to be ready for his pro day in April so teams should be able to get a beat on his health.  Have a feeling he's going to drop.  Not a fan of taking injured players there is no guarantee they will come back to their previous form.   Talented player with injury risk is a 4th rounder at best.  Don't like any of the CB's either.  Either OL Edge DL with that first pick.  I'd probably trade back in the first and try to trade up from #58 in the second.  That 30-40ish range seems to be the sweet spot.  Be nice to score 3 picks in this range.  OL S and ILB would be sweet. 

Edited by Scoremore

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

I have cooled on DeJean.

I feel like his injury probably was a lot worse than we’ll know. Unless it’s been cleared up and I just missed it, I think the mystery around it is no good.

I’m not even that high on taking a corner in this draft anymore either. At least not in the first round. I think they’re becoming a little overvalued. Especially if we’re going to be running mostly zone still. And considering we’ve got Jaire still, who is more than capable with the right DC.

I’m all about the OL. 

I think the versatility of Graham Barton is very attractive to the Packers and the plain dullness of picking him is moving him up my nonexistent board.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Not a fan of taking injured players there is no guarantee they will come back to their previous form.   Talented player with injury risk is a 4th rounder at best.  Don't like any of the CB's either. 

There is a question to be answered on injured players - I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Like most things it is a judgement call, both for when to take them (if you are inclined to do that) and when you think it is good value to pull the trigger. 

Some I wouldn't touch, some might be very good value. For example, Would you take Benson, supposedly  the top RB with Jonathon Brooks coming back from an ACL. I would strongly consider Brooks as early as 58, while I'd tend to pass on Benson, because while healthy now, he has had more  injuries than Brooks................... and Brooks is the better RB when healthy.

I've said elsewhere that at #25 you are probably getting the 6th best O lineman or 6th best corner because its looking like lots of guys at both  positions will be off the board early. However, if you pick a DL or Edge, you'll be getting one of the best from this years draft.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There is only one good player to come out of Iowa anyway.  Let's just draft him instead.

There were two, and GB drafted both of them.  Too bad they couldn't figure out how to use Micah.

• Like 1

Also, if you are pining for Xavier Worthy, compare him to Bo Melton.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier-worthy/3200574f-5274-1496-c9ca-5c4709faa05b

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bo-melton/32004d45-4c57-5431-1061-b314a42762bf

Worthy jumps a little better and runs a little faster.  Melton has slightly longer arms and bigger hands.  Melton was also pushing 190, while Worthy is 165.  We got Bo Melton for free, while Worthy will take a second (if you believe @ReasonablySober , and I do).  Every WR that we take a chance on is eliminating one that we already have.  If it is a "small," you are getting rid of Bo Melton and Samori Toure.  If it is a "big" you are getting rid of Malik Heath and Grant DuBose.  These guys certainly can be improved upon, I don't think anyone would argue that.  But is it a wise investment to use a top 50 pick to replace one of them, given the make-up of the rest of the roster?

Personal preference, the only WR I want in this draft is Johnny Wilson.  But I also really liked Lazard, and really like the group that we have in the room right now.

• Like 1