2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

He'll probably be the safest pick on the board if he's there at 25.  Solid choice.  He brings Jenkins type flexibility to the line.  That's pretty valuable and helps keep the meatheads off Love.

Really growing on me too. And, I was not a Barton guy from the start. Thought he might be in okay at 41 but maybe lower too. Now, I’m ok with 25

7 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Could definitely be a factor but I think the participation was already dropping noticeably before any schedule changes.     If just a couple prospects are missing these tests it may have an adverse draft consequence for them but with the proliferation of agents advising their clients to skip - now it's the majority of draftable players without testing so no consequence 

Really increases my admiration for a player like Odunze that intentionally stayed after his group was done to keep trying to meet his 3-cone goal.    Unfortunately, if both Harrison and Nabors are drafted ahead of him and he drops out of the Top 10 anyway - what lesson is to be learned?

He's not dropping out of the top ten. He's more likely to go top five.

I've just done an nflmockdraftdatabase mock (no trades) that was probably the best 5 round draft I've ever done (and I have done lots in this simulator, in PFN, Draft Buzz and Fanspeak). Everything fell just right.

1 CB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo) Barton and JPJ were also there at 25. QM is ranked at 11 on this site.
2 C/G Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon) Still on the board ? Somewhat shocking.
2 ILB Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M)  Often gone at #58 but sometimes here, and he is, this time.
3 S Javon Bullard (Georgia) Draft Buzz rated Tackling 88%, Zone 85%, Man/Press 96%
3 S Calen Bullock (USC) Tackling rated 80% - not so bad. Zone and Man/Press ranked 85% and 87%
4 RB Jalen Wright (Tennessee) Speed to burn. Crazy to see him this low in the board
5 CB/S Renardo Green (Florida State) More a CB than safety imo. 81% tackling, 89% and 82% in Zone and Man/Press.

Sure, this isn't likely to happen in the draft, but WOW !  A fine opportunity to get an excellent double-dip at Safety. I'm only missing out on slot corners Sainristil or Jarrian Jones (went at 48 and 119), but Renardo Green (pick 168) can handle that.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I've just done an nflmockdraftdatabase mock (no trades) that was probably the best 5 round draft I've ever done (and I have done lots in this simulator, in PFN, Draft Buzz and Fanspeak). Everything fell just right.

1 CB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo) Barton and JPJ were also there at 25. QM is ranked at 11 on this site.
2 ILB Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M)  Often gone at #58 but sometimes here, and he is, this time.
3 S Javon Bullard (Georgia) Draft Buzz rated Tackling 88%, Zone 85%, Man/Press 96%
3 S Calen Bullock (USC) Tackling rated 80% - not so bad. Zone and Man/Press ranked 85% and 87%
4 RB Jalen Wright (Tennessee) Speed to burn. Crazy to see him this low in the board
5 CB/S Renardo Green (Florida State) More a CB than safety imo. 81% tackling, 89% and 82% in Zone and Man/Press.

Sure, this isn't likely to happen in the draft, but WOW !  A fine opportunity to get an excellent double-dip at Safety. I'm only missing out on slot corners Sainristil or Jarrian Jones (went at 48 and 119), but Renardo Green (pick 168) can handle that.

To quote an Arby's commercia, "Where's the beef?" 

Great draft but need another offensive lineman in there. 4 DBs is a bit of overkill to me. I'd like a mid-round guy like Slaton in case we don't extend him next year as well. 

Always good to keep these blurbs from McGinn in mind when talking about the draft and player rankings.

More than 50 percent of first-round players are headed for disappointing careers, and the success rates descend each round after that.

Scouting is an inexact science because it deals with the human element. It’s why two scouts can see a player from almost diametrically opposed perspectives. The stories of scouts almost coming to blows during draft-meeting disagreements over a player are legendary and true.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I like what you did but just 1 safety in the 3rd and a vet free agency safety would be fine with me.  Use that other 3rd for that slot corner, an OL or DL guy.  Send this to Gute.

Edited by coachbuns

17 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It's just... I will be pumped for football Christmas all day.  I am going to get home as fast as I possibly can on Thursday night.  Get myself a fun meal.  Have all the computer tabs open.  Stay up until like midnight... and we draft a guard.  I know I asked for socks.  And I know I need socks.  But goddamnit, just once, get me a remote controlled boat for Christmas!

I once equated drafting Kenny Clark to the equivalent of getting trousers on Christmas Day.

I loathe the idea of taking an IOL in the first round.  

But dang, Kenny Powers, I mean Jackson Powers-Johnson is just different...in a good way.  

If we are actually interested in bringing JRJ back, that means we are far from "sold" on Rhyan as an NFL starter.

I'm actually sold on Myers at center.  But I don't know if the club is or is not.

But by taking JPJ, you plug two holes with a very, very good interior lineman.

No reason he couldn't play RG for a year and take over for Myers.  Or win the center role outright as a rookie and move Myers to RG.  Either way works.  GB gets a better line.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I loathe the idea of taking an IOL in the first round.  

But dang, Kenny Powers, I mean Jackson Powers-Johnson is just different...in a good way.  

If we are actually interested in bringing JRJ back, that means we are far from "sold" on Rhyan as an NFL starter.

I'm actually sold on Myers at center.  But I don't know if the club is or is not.

But by taking JPJ, you plug two holes with a very, very good interior lineman.

No reason he couldn't play RG for a year and take over for Myers.  Or win the center role outright as a rookie and move Myers to RG.  Either way works.  GB gets a better line.

It’s 25th overall. Gotta treat it like a high second round pick and take the best player available. Positional value is thrown out the window more and more with every pick you get past 21st overall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Bortolini in the top 55? JPJ not?

Two players destined to be labeled as a reach (Bortolini) and great value (JPJ) based on pre-draft rankings of non-NFL scouts.

• Like 1

OT Roger Rosengarten is a player that should be on all Packer fans radar for their 4th round sweet spot. Still 21 YO, very athletic and lots of growth ahead of him. If the 1st round OT board goes quickly before the Packers pick Rosengarten becomes an even more likely target.   

• Like 2

Probably don't need 3 LB, but couldn't pass on a LB named Steele Chambers.

25: R1 P25 CB Nate Wiggins - Clemson
41: R2 P9 C Graham Barton - Duke
57: R2 P25 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
88: R3 P24 RB Jonathon Brooks - Texas
91: R3 P27 S Javon Bullard - Georgia
125: R4 P25 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina
169: R5 P33 S Jaylin Simpson - Auburn
200: R6 P25 WR Luke McCaffery - Rice
216: R6 P41 CB Myles Jones - Duke
218: R6 P43 OT Andrew Coker - TCU
244: R7 P25 LB Steele Chambers - Ohio State