2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Newest entrant in the May Only Interest Me file:

One thing I find interesting this year is how few career carries many of the projected top backs have entering the draft.  Not sure if that's similar to past years, or becoming the new normal?

Jonathan Brooks 187 in 2023  30 in 2022

Trey Benson 156 in 2023 154 in 2022

Marshawn Lloyd 116, 111, 64

Jaylen Wright 137, 146

Will Shipley 149, 210, 167

Bucky Irving 186, 156, 133

Braelon Allen had a lot of touches, Estime had 210 this year, Kimani Vidal has a lot of wear on his tread but so many of the top backs have really limited touches for the last 1, 2 years.     For comparison, Saquon Barkley had 217, 272, 182 and Jonathan Taylor had 320, 307, 299.

Our own Josh Jacobs only had 120 carries his Jr yr before entering the draft and promptly became an extreme workhorse so not sure if it matters.     

17 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Newest entrant in the May Only Interest Me file:

One thing I find interesting this year is how few career carries many of the projected top backs have entering the draft.  Not sure if that's similar to past years, or becoming the new normal?

Jonathan Brooks 187 in 2023  30 in 2022

Trey Benson 156 in 2023 154 in 2022

Marshawn Lloyd 116, 111, 64

Jaylen Wright 137, 146

Will Shipley 149, 210, 167

Bucky Irving 186, 156, 133

Braelon Allen had a lot of touches, Estime had 210 this year, Kimani Vidal has a lot of wear on his tread but so many of the top backs have really limited touches for the last 1, 2 years.     For comparison, Saquon Barkley had 217, 272, 182 and Jonathan Taylor had 320, 307, 299.

Our own Josh Jacobs only had 120 carries his Jr yr before entering the draft and promptly became an extreme workhorse so not sure if it matters.     

The top RBs are also pass catchers with the way offense are evolving. They still get the ball into their hands, but not always behind the LOS. Look at total touches. It makes sense that the player would want that, too. WR market is silly and RB’s is depressed. The guys who can run/catch/block are the unicorns that get paid. 

*Also hadn’t watched Lloyd until now. A bit long and upright, kind of like Starks, but fast and pretty smooth runner. Also saw him make some nice grabs, not just check downs. I don’t know what round he goes in but I would be very happy with a guy like that in GB. 

Edited by Refugee

McConkey's the guy who's going to be drafted in the 2nd round because he's an average sized white dude, but then he'll be like 7th overall in the 2025 "ReDraft" posts that come out after the season. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

McConkey's the guy who's going to be drafted in the 2nd round because he's an average sized white dude, but then in he'll be like 7th overall in the 2025 "ReDraft" posts that come out after the season. 

very intriguing athletic profile, will add to my list to scope out. Along w/ Shipley

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

very intriguing athletic profile, will add to my list to scope out. Along w/ Shipley

You are going to spend time watching a WR who is likely to be drafted in rounds one or two?

You have that much time to kill?

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are going to spend time watching a WR who is likely to be drafted in rounds one or two?

You have that much time to kill?

Are you even doing draft season right if you're not watching tape for every player possible?

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

McConkey's the guy who's going to be drafted in the 2nd round because he's an average sized white dude, but then in he'll be like 7th overall in the 2025 "ReDraft" posts that come out after the season. 

There's always the argument that when a position is deep there's no need to take guys early because we're unlikely to run out of quality prospects at that position.    Like 2014 was a year where WR was super deep and (stack) LB was not, so guys like Anthony Barr, C.J. Mosely, and Ryan Shazier were first round picks while Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, and Jarvis Landry lasted deep into the 2nd.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

There's always the argument that when a position is deep there's no need to take guys early because we're unlikely to run out of quality prospects at that position.    Like 2014 was a year where WR was super deep and (stack) LB was not, so guys like Anthony Barr, C.J. Mosely, and Ryan Shazier were first round picks while Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, and Jarvis Landry lasted deep into the 2nd.

Alternatively, the more WRs taken early, the more players at other positions drop into the territory of Green Bay's picks.

I hope Brian Thomas Jr is gone by pick 25.  6'3, 209 and a 4.34 40.  LOTS of other holes to fill, but watching his tape he's giving me some pause.  

Reminder for me:

Gute doesn't take WRs in the first.

Gute doesn't take WRs in the first

Gute doesn't take WRs in the first.

Said this in the FA thread, but Ridley is an argument for drafting and developing a WR every year. I don't think you want to be in a position where you're handing out $50 million guaranteed to a WR when good QB play and good coaching can turn 21 year old draft picks into quality weapons on rookie deals.