2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm just not sure that we can really understand what the Packers want from an RB, since the only RBs that they have put significant resources into acquiring since LaFleur became the coach were A.J. Dillon (a 2nd round picks) and Josh Jacobs (FA).  Everything else has just been UDFAs or day 3 picks.

This is now I feel too.  I was not expecting GB to have serious interest in Jacobs.

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Go to YouTube and type "[name of team the player you want to watch is on] offense vs [year you want to watch]" or "vs [name of team the player you want to watch is on] defense [year you want to watch]".  You can also type "[name of player you want to watch] vs".  Plenty of game film cut-ups out there that aren't highlights.

Will try that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Generally speaking, search [Insert Player Name] vs.  It's not great, but it's better than highlight reels.

Yep I have something to do at work tonight now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh_Mann said:

found Will Shipley pro day numbers here

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-football/story/xavier-thomas-shows-speed,-will-shipley-shows-athleticism-at-clemson-pro-day-21983

Height: 5111
Weight: 206
Bench: 16

10 y: 1.54
40 y: 4.39
Shuttle: 4.11

3 cone: 6.81

Vert Jump: 38.5

Broad: 10' 2"

Consistent with what you see on the field. He embarrasses defenders in the open field 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Consistent with what you see on the field. He embarrasses defenders in the open field 

But...as we've determined...not as quickly as some others though Ha! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

But...as we've determined...not as quickly as some others though Ha! :)

I can absolutely admit CMCs 3cone is at another level than Shipley's and that shows up on the field too.

Shipley is not at CMCs level, as a football player for sure. But I think they unquestionably have a similar play style and athletic profile. I legitimately knew nothing about Shipley before I searched him on YouTube for a highlight reel. I then knew the only other piece information I learned before watching his play: that he went to Clemson. After about 6 highlights the first thing that popped in my head was "he looks like someone in the league with the ball in his hands..." then like 3 plays later I knew I was thinking of CMC. Didn't have any idea how tall he was or how much he weighed or his 40 or production or anything. Just thought immediately he played similarly to CMC and got similar results against his highlight reel competition. 

Then 10min later I looked up his RAS and saw how athletically similar he was to CMC and thought "this makes sense to me"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I can absolutely admit CMCs 3cone is at another level than Shipley's and that shows up on the field too.

Shipley is not at CMCs level, as a football player for sure. But I think they unquestionably have a similar play style and athletic profile. I legitimately knew nothing about Shipley before I searched him on YouTube for a highlight reel. I then knew the only other piece information I learned before watching his play: that he went to Clemson. After about 6 highlights the first thing that popped in my head was "he looks like someone in the league with the ball in his hands..." then like 3 plays later I knew I was thinking of CMC. Didn't have any idea how tall he was or how much he weighed or his 40 or production or anything. Just thought immediately he played similarly to CMC and got similar results against his highlight reel competition. 

Then 10min later I looked up his RAS and saw how athletically similar he was to CMC and thought "this makes sense to me"

Sounds good. I'm just effing with ya at this point. The odds of do we or dont we draft the guy......not worth worrying about at this stage. I've looked at that one tape and come up with some general thoughts. If we do draft him - I'll root for him. If we dont - I'll root for us driving him into the ground. I keep it simple :)

Not seeing it yet with Shipley. He had just as many games under 4 ypc as over it last year. Started with his game vs fsu since it popped up first and that was really not good. I'll keep going until I watch all his games from last year though. 

One other thing about Shipley (and keep in mind that I like the prospect and would love GB to draft him) is he needs a lot of work in pass pro. Like a lot. 

Maybe the least concerning thing for me when drafting a RB, but it will prevent the likelihood of him being a meaningful 3rd down back early on. He will need work there. 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

One other thing about Shipley (and keep in mind that I like the prospect and would love GB to draft him) is he needs a lot of work in pass pro. Like a lot. 

Maybe the least concerning thing for me when drafting a RB, but it will prevent the likelihood of him being a meaningful 3rd down back early on. He will need work there. 

95% of these guys need work in pass pro. That's why bringing back Dillon was huge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Not seeing it yet with Shipley. He had just as many games under 4 ypc as over it last year. Started with his game vs fsu since it popped up first and that was really not good. I'll keep going until I watch all his games from last year though. 

IRT Shipley, look at his skillset and not necessarily his production in 2023. Clemson's offense was more catered to Phil Mafah's strength's as a runner than Shipley's this year. Shipley was also beat up pretty good this year IIRC. Look at him as a fit for our offense. He's perfect for the Aaron Jones role. Like literally perfect for it.

Everybody sees different things when they watch guys. For example, I see way more NFL running from Will Shipley than I ever do from Jaylen Wright. Yet, Jaylen Wright is the guy everyone drools over (and will be wrong about in the end) and Shipley is the guy people "don't see it with." 

I'll confidently say that Will Shipley will be in the NFL for a decade and Jaylen Wright will wash out before his rookie contract is up. Wright is this year's Israel Abanikanda. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that. In fact, I'm pretty certain I've seen someone else say that here. Come forth! 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1