2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

55 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Imagine a world in which you are not really forced to do a third deal with Clark because you have Newton on a rookie deal.

It makes me smile.

And I love me some KC.  But moving on from him is oh so much easier when you have a young talent like Newton coming up in the system.

(Not to mention Slaton, Wyatt and Brooks)

Ah.  A guy can dream.

The Packers seem to draft with upcoming free agents in mind.  I could definitely see us taking Murphy or Newton if they are there.  Productive guys that could allow them to move on from KC in 2025 if they so choose.  KC has a lot of wear and tear at just 28 and it makes me think the Packers won't want to pay him 20 plus on his next deal.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

I guess DeJean may have been the secret reason we got rid of Jones, so he could get #33. After all, #3 is retired. I wondered how he'd look with #43, and I can't even remember the last guy who wore that number for this team.

At least he's white, so we wouldn't have nightmares of MD Jennings wearing #43 again.

23 hours ago, R T said:

Would be surprised if they drafted Melton with his brother on the roster as a fringe player. 

I'm not going to say Bo Melton is a roster lock, but he's closer to a roster lock than he is a fringe player.  Short of him struggling badly in camp or the other fringe guys drastically outplaying him, I expect him to be on the 53 man roster next year.

• Like 3

With Gary, LVN, and P. Smith essentially moving to DE, the LB room looks pretty weak right now.

Only notable players on the roster are Quay Walker and Isaiah McDuffie.

I think Edgerrin Cooper has to get serious consideration with pick #1 for the Pack. I could see the Pack trading back to the early 2nd and using their first pick on Cooper.

Scenario such as:

Trade pick 25 overall to Washington for pick 36 and 78 overall.

Pick 36) - LB Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M)
Pick 41) - S Tyler Nubin (Minnesota)

I honestly won't be surprised if Cooper cracks the first round, being the first LB off the board. 

19 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Like him, tore his ACL in Nov, he'll likely miss TC plus a chunk of the 24 season.  Might be a deal breaker for the Packers, but I like him.

If anything, I think it might be a bonus for Green Bay.  They don't need a player for 2024, they need it for 2025+.  I would assume he won't be ready right away, so he likely starts the year on the PUP list which would let them roster someone else.  I just think it's more likely that another team values him higher than Green Bay will.  I can't imagine Green Bay would pick him any earlier than their second SRP, and even then that doesn't seem likely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Kiper had the Packers taking Latu in his latest mock. That would be a home-run pick IMO, however, I truly wonder whether he's even on the Packers' board at all due to the neck injury. My guess would be that the Packers wouldn't go there.

Can't imagine he's even on the board for the Packers given his medical history.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not going to say Bo Melton is a roster lock, but he's closer to a roster lock than he is a fringe player.  Short of him struggling badly in camp or the other fringe guys drastically outplaying him, I expect him to be on the 53 man roster next year.

Agreed. He made some plays for us (and himself....) last year.

12 minutes ago, dust247 said:

With Gary, LVN, and P. Smith essentially moving to DE, the LB room looks pretty weak right now.

I think Edgerrin Cooper has to get serious consideration with pick #1 for the Pack. I could see the Pack trading back to the early 2nd and using their first pick on Cooper.

Scenario such as:

I honestly won't be surprised if Cooper cracks the first round, being the first LB off the board. 

I could see them not being too worried about the MLB spot. Waiting for the 3rd/4th maybe just scooping a couple guys later even. Should be the most basic position on defense. Drop zone. Shed blocks.  Could get through the year with a minor talent there or journeyman who gets cut in camp.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You are way over thinking my comment. Melton has built some equity with his hard work on the PS and late season game action, but he is still WR 5 or 6 and that is before the draft. 5th or 6th WR's are fringe roster positions by their nature and if Gutes drafts another WR that he thinks is just too good of value to pass up Melton could easily get caught up in a numbers game. They are not cutting any of their top 4 WR's to make room for Melton and a 2nd, 3rd rounder will be given a spot, and a 4th rounder would probably need to pull a J'Mon Moore not to get the nod. He is no lock...yet. 

53 minutes ago, dust247 said:

I think it's unlikely we trade back for another 3rd round pick.  Right now, we're slotted to pick 41, 58, 88, and 91 on Day 2.  I'm not going to say never, but it just doesn't seem likely that we're going to get yet another Day 2 pick.

Just now, R T said:

You are way over thinking my comment. Melton has built some equity with his hard work on the PS and late season game action, but he is still WR 5 or 6 and that is before the draft. 5th or 6th WR's are fringe roster positions by their nature and if Gutes drafts another WR that he thinks is just too good of value to pass up Melton could easily get caught up in a numbers game. They are not cutting any of their top 4 WR's to make room for Melton and a 2nd, 3rd rounder will be given a spot, and a 4th rounder would probably need to pull a J'Mon Moore not to get the nod. He is no lock...yet. 

We're almost assuredly carrying 6 WRs next year.  Watson, Dobbs, Reed, and Wicks are roster locks.  Bo Melton is in that next tier.  That still leaves one "open" roster spot just to get to that 6 WR slots.  So they'd need to bring in 2 more WRs that are clearly better than Melton.  And they're not going to invest that highly into the WR position given what the Packers' young WRs showed this past season.  So unless a late round pick, UDFA, or one of their other young WRs brought in last year light it up, the Bo Melton is pretty much going to make the 2024 roster.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dust247 said:

Scenario such as:

This is a classic example of obsessing about a position to the point as to screwing up a whole draft to try and cover for it.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

We're almost assuredly carrying 6 WRs next year.  Watson, Dobbs, Reed, and Wicks are roster locks.  Bo Melton is in that next tier.  That still leaves one "open" roster spot just to get to that 6 WR slots.  So they'd need to bring in 2 more WRs that are clearly better than Melton.  And they're not going to invest that highly into the WR position given what the Packers' young WRs showed this past season.  So unless a late round pick, UDFA, or one of their other young WRs brought in last year light it up, the Bo Melton is pretty much going to make the 2024 roster.

And again you are twisting my original comment, 5th or 6th WR's do not have the luxury of being locks, they are always one player away from breaking out from being off the roster. That is by definition a fringe player.  

8 minutes ago, R T said:

And again you are twisting my original comment, 5th or 6th WR's do not have the luxury of being locks, they are always one player away from breaking out from being off the roster. That is by definition a fringe player.  

Fringe means easily replaceable.  Based on what Melton did at the end of last year, that's not easily replaceable.  He was our most productive WR over the last 3 regular season games.  Grant DuBose didn't do that.  Samori Toure didn't do that.  Malik Heath didn't do that.  So he's not in that same tier, so he's not quite a roster lock but he's also not a fringe guy either.

• Like 2