2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Seen a lot of speculation on us drafting someone to upgrade RG early. Does everybody hate the idea of drafting a tackle early and kicking Tom inside?

Depends on who the Tackle is TBH. That person may already be on the roster. I think we go OL much later than one would think TBH unless Barton falls to us at 41.

19 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Seen a lot of speculation on us drafting someone to upgrade RG early. Does everybody hate the idea of drafting a tackle early and kicking Tom inside?

I don't, if playing the best five is accurate, why not? If BPA at #25 is a RT I would definitely consider moving Tom inside.

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Drafting Guyton with the intent of kicking someone else inside is a go-to move when I do the mock sims 

Not sure we do that this time, though that's certainly been the successful practice in years past. FWIW we've met with Barton and Zach Zinter(who I really like at pick 88) who are pure Guards.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-visit-tracker/

28 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

It seems like they are set at RT with Tom.  Gute seems open to a switch, but I think I the coaching staff seems pretty locked in with Tom at RT and Myers at C.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers snag Jackson Powers Johnson if he's available at #25.  Myers is a FA next year I believe and I can't imagine they want to hand him a big deal.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I am happy to take whoever projects better respectively at the position of OG and OT in this draft. I want as many studs at all 5 spots. A stud (player or prospect) at every OL position is worth their contract or high draft slot every time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers seem to draft with upcoming free agents in mind.  I could definitely see us taking Murphy or Newton if they are there.  Productive guys that could allow them to move on from KC in 2025 if they so choose.  KC has a lot of wear and tear at just 28 and it makes me think the Packers won't want to pay him 20 plus on his next deal.

My only concern with Murphy is size. He's only 6' tall with shorter arms than most DT's, but Mike Daniels was quite successful for us when he had some size around him. Do we keep Slaton or Ford? Draft a bigger DT somewhere on Day 3?

4 hours ago, dust247 said:

I honestly won't be surprised if Cooper cracks the first round, being the first LB off the board. 

I honestly won't be surprised if we get him at 41 or 58. Personally, I like Trotter and Colson more; but I'd be shocked if one of them went Day 1 TBH. 

On that note, consider the fact that we've also talked to Trevin Wallace who could be a Day 3 pick for us. Check out Zierlein's reports of the two:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/edgerrin-cooper/3200434f-4f53-5990-fc98-570859860963
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trevin-wallace/32005741-4c50-5176-62e5-ca60fedbd783

Methinks they're the same athlete profile: just over 6', run a 4.51 40, "explosive" players who run with reckless abandon. Also, IDK if this forum discusses RAS Scores but both players have RAS Scores well into the 9's FWIW. 

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers snag Jackson Powers Johnson if he's available at #25.  Myers is a FA next year I believe and I can't imagine they want to hand him a big deal.  

Or Myers gets kicked to Guard. I don't see him moving on from Center and I wasn't all too thrilled with him as a prospect, but we could probably do a lot worse at Center.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm one of the few that thinks Edgerrin Cooper is a legitimate target at #25.    I understand people's concerns over his fit with Quay, but #1- I think he's a better prospect coming out than Quay and #2- I think they can coexist just fine.   I'd make Walker the Mike and Cooper the Will but could be interchangeable.  Quay did a lot of the dirty work at Georgia taking on blocks and filling holes and until Cooper has a year or two to add 10lbs, will be the bigger body.  McKinney is going to have the green dot anyway so both Walker and Cooper can just play fast and instinctive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Looks like I'm one of the few that thinks Edgerrin Cooper is a legitimate target at #25.    I understand people's concerns over his fit with Quay, but #1- I think he's a better prospect coming out than Quay and #2- I think they can coexist just fine.   I'd make Walker the Mike and Cooper the Will but could be interchangeable.  Quay did a lot of the dirty work at Georgia taking on blocks and filling holes and until Cooper has a year or two to add 10lbs, will be the bigger body.  McKinney is going to have the green dot anyway so both Walker and Cooper can just play fast and instinctive.

Cooper isn't the best LB prospect we could pick at 25. I have no issues with him working alongside Quay and really don't see how someone would see that as a problem given the versatility required to play the overall position by today's standards. I also don't think Cooper has to gain any weight either; he's fine at 230.