2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

8 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Bingo. Let's say I'm giving you Gronk, Kelce, or Kittle. Who isn't taking that in the top ten? 

You can say tight end isn't a premium position, but if you actually have the best of the best it's EXTREMELY valuable.

Every team in the NFL without the benefit of hindsight. 

Also, who is to say we don't already have the best of the best on our roster in Musgrave. He just hasn't had time to develop with his quarterback.

Edited by Old Guy

11 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Bingo. Let's say I'm giving you Gronk, Kelce, or Kittle. Who isn't taking that in the top ten? 

You can say tight end isn't a premium position, but if you actually have the best of the best it's EXTREMELY valuable.

And I am not saying any current prospect is on that level.  

But we know the positional value of certain positions.  Do you take a Hall of Very good player, say Bryan Bulaga, over a HOF level TE?

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My point was pretty simple, even if you missed it. IF we were to take Bowers, his likely role would be Deguara's. Really that simple. 

And yes, Bowers looks like an absolute legit stud. 

I feel like that is a pretty bad point.

You don't take a TE that high and not put him in a position to stress the defense.  That should be Kraft.  

You gotta let a TE like that (and Musgrave) stress the defense while giving your wideouts better matchups.

12 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Am I the only one who doesn't consider OT a pressing need?

I feel like yes, you are the only one.

I get your line of thought.  I like Walker.  I feel like he can be a spot starter and backup.  That is great for where we picked him.

But we should want something better at LT.  Heck that could even be Tom, but he's more or less solidifying himself as an upper tier RT.

It is about time to draft a better pedigree at LT, if one is there.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like yes, you are the only one.

I get your line of thought.  I like Walker.  I feel like he can be a spot starter and backup.  That is great for where we picked him.

But we should want something better at LT.  Heck that could even be Tom, but he's more or less solidifying himself as an upper tier RT.

It is about time to draft a better pedigree at LT, if one is there.

I think you go with Tom at LT next season, IF you don't find one that you like in the draft.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it, and Tom has been good at RT.  In addition, it isn't like lesser pass rushers are on the offense's right anymore, they move up and down the line all game.  

I also don't think we need any more depth tackles.  We have Walker, Jones, Tenuta, and Telfort.  Those are four large men, and at least three of them have looked very good in preseason action.  I think you go early pick for starter, or just roll with the second year guys that we already have.

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you go with Tom at LT next season, IF you don't find one that you like in the draft.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it, and Tom has been good at RT.  In addition, it isn't like lesser pass rushers are on the offense's right anymore, they move up and down the line all game.  

I also don't think we need any more depth tackles.  We have Walker, Jones, Tenuta, and Telfort.  Those are four large men, and at least three of them have looked very good in preseason action.  I think you go early pick for starter, or just roll with the second year guys that we already have.

The nice thing is that there are 2 premium LT's in the draft and what I would consider 3 premium RT's. Depending on which one you end up with is where you put Tom. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If we think he can play LT at a high starting level, why not get him in there this season where stakes are lower and expectations are based on improvement and not getting into the postseason?  Maybe we think he’s a better RT than Walker and Yosh has been dinged up but if we think he could be our cornerstone I feel like we should have him in there taking reps with EJ right now. We’ll see how they play it but with no OL taken last draft, there will be a priority there early and mid rounds this year. If we get a rookie LT in there, he’d better be a fast learner because people’s jobs will be on the line next season. 

13 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

If you can guaranteed me that he's a future top 3 TE, yes.  But you can't.  Remember when Aaron Curry was a can't miss future All-Pro LB?  He was out of the league in 4 years.  Those can't miss prospects do indeed miss.  Kyle Pitts was a can't miss TE prospect coming out of Florida, and he's not the impact TE he was billed as.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The nice thing is that there are 2 premium LT's in the draft and what I would consider 3 premium RT's. Depending on which one you end up with is where you put Tom. 

I agree about Tom, but with hesitation.  For a first year starter at RT, he's been very, very good.  Maybe that translates to LT, but if it were me, I'd be trying my best to keep Tom at RT.   

To me, it is clear that they want Tom at RT, or he'd be playing LT already.