2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Amarius Mims (77) is back for Georgia, looks like he wants back into the top 20 conversation lol.

That’s who I want. Elite blue chip recruit, massive , athletic . Hasn’t played too too much, but played great vs Ohio St in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:11 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

Your problems with him is that he grew from his time at Arizona St and that he plays on a good offense ? Youre way off base on this one. I still think he overtakes Maye, but I’m very confident he’s a top 16 pick. 

Explain to me how he's any different than Michael Penix or Bo Nix?  They're all cut from the same mold.  All 3 struggled at their initial schools, and then transferred and took off both in terms of on-the-field play as well as their production.  Penix's coaching staff at Indiana was mediocre, and his supporting cast wasn't any better.  He transfers to Washington to play with Rome Odenze and Ja'Lynn Polk who are likely early picks.  Same thing with Bo Nix.  If you want to argue that Daniels is a bit younger and a bit more athletic, I wouldn't fight you on that one.  But they're all effectively in the same vein.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Explain to me how he's any different than Michael Penix or Bo Nix?  They're all cut from the same mold.  All 3 struggled at their initial schools, and then transferred and took off both in terms of on-the-field play as well as their production.  Penix's coaching staff at Indiana was mediocre, and his supporting cast wasn't any better.  He transfers to Washington to play with Rome Odenze and Ja'Lynn Polk who are likely early picks.  Same thing with Bo Nix.  If you want to argue that Daniels is a bit younger and a bit more athletic, I wouldn't fight you on that one.  But they're all effectively in the same vein.

Both Penix and Nix and quality pro prospects too. I wouldn't draft the former because of his injury history and the way he moves, but Nix is probably going to solid. 

The difference is Daniels is in another league athletically. 

20 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

The difference is Daniels is in another league athletically. 

That's where you and I fundamentally disagree.  He's better athletically no doubt.  Is he in a different league?  Absolutely not.  That's reserved for guys like Anthony Richardson.  And with Richardson, there was enough to draw on based on his athletic tools and his situation (mediocre HC and poor supporting cast) that you could dream big.  Unfortunately, he got injured this year.  But he showed more in 4 games with Indianapolis than he ever did with the Gators.

Penix went to Washington to play for Kalen DeBoer who was the OC for Penix at Indiana.   Penix knew the offense and how good DeBoers offense is.  Penix is a hard guy to evaluate.  Is it him, is it DeBoers system, is it the Washington stable of WRs.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a QB throw as many bombs on the money like he does and his WRs are often wide open.  That wont happen like that in the NFL.  He's a tough eval.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's where you and I fundamentally disagree.  He's better athletically no doubt.  Is he in a different league?  Absolutely not.  That's reserved for guys like Anthony Richardson.  And with Richardson, there was enough to draw on based on his athletic tools and his situation (mediocre HC and poor supporting cast) that you could dream big.  Unfortunately, he got injured this year.  But he showed more in 4 games with Indianapolis than he ever did with the Gators.

In a different league athletically from Nix and Penix. Neither come close to what Daniels can do when he pulls the ball down and runs.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don’t know why that matters so much to you. 

Jayden Daniels is accurate on all 3 levels and it’ means more going against SEC defenses . Shredding soft PAC-12 defenses doesn’t really impress me. 

Athletically , Daniels is a tier above both and probably close to a tier plus. Hes probably going to be a top 5 running QB in the league . 

I don’t want to hear about LSU’s ‘system’ either . Unfortunately, being a ND fan I had to watch BK never develop a QB, or underutilize his weapons. Brian Kelly isn’t making Daniels look good, unlike at Wash or at Oregon. 

Plus, Penix’s throwing motion is trash. 

• Like 1

Should we even be considering a WR, unless it's a late round pick? Watson has come on again and looking teh part again. Reed is definitely legit. Doubs and Wicks are extremely solid #3 WRs. Today Heath got his chance and made the most of it. He is also a willing blocker. 

Throw in our TE situation and I think a WR in the early rounds is a luxury we can't afford. 

I'd be all over Cooper DeJean if we're in the late teens to early 20's with a shot to get him.