2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Your logic still isn't making any sense.

You think we only need one safety; I think we could use 2 safeties and a slot guy tbh. If Jaire is back and they have confidence in Stokes, a CB may not be a necessity. 

You can disagree with the players, that fine. You can disagree with what we need on the roster, that's perfectly fine too. 

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

Yes. Obviously, yes. If you have this generation's Tauscher and Clifton you lock them up.

Times have changed monetarily since those two were around. We are not going to be able to keep all of our young talent. Some tough decisions are forthcoming. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

You think we only need one safety; I think we could use 2 safeties and a slot guy tbh. If Jaire is back and they have confidence in Stokes, a CB may not be a necessity. 

You can disagree with the players, that fine. You can disagree with what we need on the roster, that's perfectly fine too. 

So what's the problem with drafting one of the premier DBs in the draft then? The only one who's proven he can take the ball away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Times have changed monetarily since those two were around. We are not going to be able to keep all of our young talent. Some tough decisions are forthcoming. 

Sure, but extending good tackles won't be a tough decision.

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

And neither will step foot on the field after year three if they've proven to be top notch tackles. Their agents will not allow it until extension is worked out. 

That is my thought/question. If both prove to be very good tackles, do we extend both or do we let the hypothetical 2nd round tackle in this year's draft take over one of those positions, likely Walkers. The cost to extend both would be pretty expensive. 

It also looks like the past two drafts are going to have a lot of guys needing second contracts. That will have to be taken into consideration. Like, Watson if he gets his hammy situation worked out. 

GB as of now has $94M in cap space for 2025.  Their 2025 FA are Bahktiari,  Clark,  Jones, Love, Stokes, Myers, Slaton, Newman, McDuffie.

Of that group, Love and Slaton are the 2 players you'd be looking to retain as certainties.

Tom and Walker could be signed pretty comfortably if they were worthy of extensions before the 2025 season.

21 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Yes. Obviously, yes. If you have this generation's Tauscher and Clifton you lock them up.

Or Bahktiari and Bulaga.

GB has been able to pay 2 OT at market value before.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So what's the problem with drafting one of the premier DBs in the draft then? The only one who's proven he can take the ball away.

I was never against taking Cooper DeJean. I was against using both 2nd round picks to move back up in to round 1  to take one of the Alabama CBs. 

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB as of now has $94M in cap space for 2025.  Their 2025 FA are Bahktiari,  Clark,  Jones, Love, Stokes, Myers, Slaton, Newman, McDuffie.

Of that group, Love and Slaton are the 2 players you'd be looking to retain as certainties.

Tom and Walker could be signed pretty comfortably if they were worthy of extensions before the 2025 season.

I'm aware you can extend them. The problem isn't year one of their contract. These contracts all balloon over time. There will be a lot of that based on the talent we've acquired over the past two drafts. 

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Any of the tape watchers have thoughts on Barton?  Would he be a fit for GB in RD2 as a G/C upgrade?

Graham Barton, G/OT/C, Duke  -  Height: 6-5. Weight: 306  -  Projected Round (2024): 1-2

1/6/24: Some pro sources said their teams are projecting Barton to move inside to guard in the NFL. They noted that Barton plays with short arms and his body type could fit better on the inside. He also has anchor issues with stopping speed to power. Pro evaluators said they like how Barton is physical, nasty and strong in the ground game.

At left tackle for Duke, Barton was a consistent run blocker and pass protector. He missed time and played through some injuries in 2023. Some sources said they think Barton would be a fabulous center in the NFL. He played some center as a freshman, but might need development in terms of snapping the ball.

I’ll say this for Barton as well as Fautanu and Beebe, you try them at Tackle, because they have more than competent tape there. Some scouts mistake “playing with short arms” with using technique. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm aware you can extend them. The problem isn't year one of their contract. These contracts all balloon over time. There will be a lot of that based on the talent we've acquired over the past two drafts. 

Walkers contract isnt ballooning. If he wants anything over 5m a year he walks.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Sure.  Having good players is needed to succeed in the NFL.  Aides in winning games, making playoffs and winning playoff games.  The downside of that is those good players are more expensive.  

So where would you spend the money if not on quality starters at OT?  If you aren't willing to spend money on a premium position you have in house, that seems a bit idiotic.

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Walkers contract isnt ballooning. If he wants anything over 5m a year he walks.

You are jumping in the middle of a conversation. My original post had a caveat to it, which I'm not going to get into explaining. Given the context of my original comment, you'd be way off base for what Walker would hypothetically be worth. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I was never against taking Cooper DeJean. I was against using both 2nd round picks to move back up in to round 1  to take one of the Alabama CBs. 

I was with PackerRaymond's thought process too.  I would certainly take DeJean and would also not be very happy moving both 2nd round picks to move into the 1st round.  Besides, it shouldn't take both of those picks in the 2nd round to move up into the 1st.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:06 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

I am currently looking at OT like I am looking at WR.  We are perfectly fine at the position.  If there is a value too good to pass up, take the guy.  But I don't feel like this is a top of the list position anymore.  Walker is at the very least functional, and he is still just 23.  We also still have Kadeem Telfort as a lump of clay to add to Jones and Tenuta.  

I'm in the same boat.  IF there's value there for either OT or WR, I'd take that position.  But I'm not tripping over myself to actively look to ad to either room.  I do think there's a strong chance that there's an OT on the board at the Packers' pick.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I was with PackerRaymond's thought process too.  I would certainly take DeJean and would also not be very happy moving both 2nd round picks to move into the 1st round.  Besides, it shouldn't take both of those picks in the 2nd round to move up into the 1st.

My thought process is the Packers need at least two starters at DB. It's inarguably where they're lacking the most. I don't think if they wait until round two they're going to get one of the guys you pencil in as a day one starter. 

It wouldn't take both 2nds to get into the first. You might just need a 2nd and a 3rd. But either way I think they'll need to move back up.