The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Or he looks "good" against a good team when he's got a legitimate WR carrying him.  Let's look at this objectively speaking, North Carolina has beaten South Carolina (2-4), Appalachian State (3-3), Minnesota (3-3), Pittsburgh (2-4), Syracuse (4-3), and Miami (4-2).  Of those 6 wins, I'd argue 2 of them are "quality" wins which are South Carolina and Miami.  In that South Carolina win, Maya threw 2 INTs and in that Miami win Tez Walker accounted for nearly 50% of Maye's passing yards and 75% of his passing TDs.  I mean, I get we're all desperate for multiple franchise QBs in a draft, but let's be realistic at least.  That South Carolina game was bad both in terms of scouting tools and production.  That's a one-read and run the ball if it's not open offense.  This is Mitchell Trubisky all over again.

Drake Maye is not Mitchell Trubisky, he has a far more athletic family background that is absolutely certain, and he is better in the pocket as a passer and has better fundamentals as well as a passer at this early stage.  

Sure they have not played a great schedule but it is not an awful schedule either and they are undefeated for the first time in what seems like forever honestly, and since when are QBs not carried by good wide receivers at times?  Tons of them get yards by having little screen plays to a great receiver and they run 80 yards after the catch for a TD.

The ACC in general is weak, especially compared to say the Pac-12, but UNC is most likely going to be 8-0 when they play Duke and should beat them and be 9-0 when they play Clemson.  That is a damn good season and they have a chance to go unbeaten in the regular season, without Drake Maye absolutely no way that happens.  

Drake Maye does not just run around like a crazy guy trying to make big plays and extend the play waiting for WRs to break open and get a huge pass.  He is controlled and does not rely on those huge plays to look good by running around, I love his play in the pocket and he only extends when he absolutely needs to unlike say Caleb Williams who does it constantly.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

On Tuesday night, BroBible's Dov Kleiman resurfaced a July report from PFT's Mike Florio that claimed “representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft."

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-rumors-caleb-williams-earth-shattering-demand-to-team-that-will-select-him-revealed

hahaha, good luck, buddy. as if billionaires are going to let you into their club before you've ever thrown a NFL pass.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

On Tuesday night, BroBible's Dov Kleiman resurfaced a July report from PFT's Mike Florio that claimed “representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft."

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-rumors-caleb-williams-earth-shattering-demand-to-team-that-will-select-him-revealed

hahaha, good luck, buddy. as if billionaires are going to let you into their club before you've ever thrown a NFL pass.

Not only won't it happen, I don't believe it can.  While I'm not an attorney, I believe that would violate the CBA and possibly even anti-trust law.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Drake Maye is not Mitchell Trubisky, he has a far more athletic family background that is absolutely certain, and he is better in the pocket as a passer and has better fundamentals as well as a passer at this early stage.  

Sure they have not played a great schedule but it is not an awful schedule either and they are undefeated for the first time in what seems like forever honestly, and since when are QBs not carried by good wide receivers at times?  Tons of them get yards by having little screen plays to a great receiver and they run 80 yards after the catch for a TD.

The ACC in general is weak, especially compared to say the Pac-12, but UNC is most likely going to be 8-0 when they play Duke and should beat them and be 9-0 when they play Clemson.  That is a damn good season and they have a chance to go unbeaten in the regular season, without Drake Maye absolutely no way that happens.  

Drake Maye does not just run around like a crazy guy trying to make big plays and extend the play waiting for WRs to break open and get a huge pass.  He is controlled and does not rely on those huge plays to look good by running around, I love his play in the pocket and he only extends when he absolutely needs to unlike say Caleb Williams who does it constantly.

They're fundamentally the same player.  A one-read and tuck it and run QB.  It's the same major issue that Trubisky had coming out of North Carolina.  Trubisky wasn't asked to do a whole lot of reads in college, and it wasn't something he excelled at with the Bears.  If you want to try and force him inside the top 5, go right ahead.  I'll laugh when you're as a GM looking for a new job.  Nothing is worse than betting on the wrong guy.  Honestly, I'd rather gamble on Ewers and I'm not a huge believer of Ewers.  At least not now.

11 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

He's literally a top five prospect on every board....

Then take him with your top pick, and I'll be laughing when you're looking to replace him in 2-3 years.  The only reason we're talking about him being a top 5 prospect on every board is because he started there (remember the Drake Maye could push Caleb Williams for 1.1 discussion), and people are too reluctant to move him down.  Drake Maye is the epitome of what you want a QB to look like, and physically be.  But when you watch him play, the issues stand out glaringly.

I'm not a big Maye guy either. He makes questionable decisions, and is a 1 read to checkdown QB for the most part.

I think I would trust this staff to get the most out of a creative QB that they can settle down than to try to get a guy to be more creative when things break down based on what we've seen.

I think Maye will have to go to the right situation, and Minnesota is only that with a year behind a QB Cousins, IMO.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I can't comment on each player individually a lot, it's dangerous to compare Maye and Trubisky since they played under completely different staffs at UNC. 

They're also nothing alike physically. Mitch was a way better athlete and a significantly worse thrower.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Yeah, this is a ridiculous take by Caleb and his entourage if true. No way this ever happens, imo. 

On 10/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, PrplChilPill said:

Watching Oregon vs Washington. Nix has not thrown down field much, but just made a couple great throws. Penix Jr looks max effort on throws, but he's really accurate today. Like perfect. I don't think either goes in the top twenty unless someone just really wants a QB.... Of course, I was wrong about Herbert, so what do I know....

Gotta think this is the first time two QBs with last names ending in "ix" have ever faced off, right?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They're fundamentally the same player.  A one-read and tuck it and run QB.  It's the same major issue that Trubisky had coming out of North Carolina.  Trubisky wasn't asked to do a whole lot of reads in college, and it wasn't something he excelled at with the Bears.  If you want to try and force him inside the top 5, go right ahead.  I'll laugh when you're as a GM looking for a new job.  Nothing is worse than betting on the wrong guy.  Honestly, I'd rather gamble on Ewers and I'm not a huge believer of Ewers.  At least not now.

Fundamentally the same player?  What the hell are you watching?  Run QB?  Maye had almost 700 yards last year as a runner and he is not a run first QB what so ever, Trubisky never had over 350 yards at UNC rushing and he is a QB that relied on running a lot especially with extending the play and trying to create time down the field for the receivers to get open.

Also on UNC Trubisky was a backup for two years then had that one single breakout season.  Maye was a freak show and was wildly productive last year and will be doing basically the exact same thing this year so way more actual legit starting experience for him.  Also Trubisky was a what freaking RS JR when he declared with only one season of legit long term starting experience.  Drake Maye is a RS SOPH and has two years of legit starting experience.

What are Maye's issues exactly?  He has better pocket awareness and control than Trubisky had, is way more successful in terms of actually winning football games than Trubisky in college.  He has a much better release, way more controlled, better athlete, taller.  The only thing they are similar in is what school they play for, to call them the same player is ridiculous.