The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

If they believe insert QB here is a franchise QB and he's there at 11 they aren't hoping he falls to 23, they'll take him at 11. Or at least I sure hope they would.

This.  And the history of "passing on" QBs for another position has been pretty spotty lately outside of Jalen Hurts.  And I'd argue he actually outperformed his draft expectations substantially.

• Like 1

ESPN's Matt Miller:

"One of the most interesting nuggets I've picked up over the past two weeks is that multiple NFL teams have J.J. McCarthy ranked ahead of North Carolina's Drake Maye. A high-ranking evaluator I spoke to this week said McCarthy's winning résumé, upside as a mobile QB and impeccable poise under pressure all graded out higher for them than Maye. When under pressure last season, McCarthy completed an FBS-best 68% of his passes and averaged 10 yards per attempt (second-best)."

https://fansided.com/posts/latest-nfl-draft-rumor-suggests-multiple-teams-like-jj-mccarthy-over-drake-maye-01ht59cb8bs0/partners/40734?fbclid=IwAR0O6jwTm_n6n8qIIEk1E85RiS49j0muAITtVZP3qmm1cT3oC1PwSMpwvJQ

11 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

They would take McCarthy in a heartbeat. It’s not even close. 

please stop putting Penix in the same conversation as any of the top 4 QB’s.. There is a reason why he is not in that conversation!!!! 

How is he not in the conversation? Because mock drafts tell you so? 

I still don’t even see how Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy are getting more buzz than him. They’re not better. 

His injury history is a risk, and his older age I don’t really like, but what he shows in the football field is better than what they’ve shown. Easily at that. 

There’s no way anyone could convince me that either of the guys I mentioned above are a better thrower of the football than Penix. He has some things to refine but that’s what O’ Connell is for. Also, so does every QB prospect. 

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 2

Maybe it's time to switch our conversation from which QB we draft in the 1st (and, I do believe the Vikings will get a QB before pick 11) and think about what the Vikings might do to upgrade the interior line on both sides of the ball.

One of the things I appreciate most about Christian Darrisaw at LT, is that he's complete.  He's great in pass protection and a bully on the edge on running plays, especially in space against linebackers and DBs.  On the other side, O'Neill is above average, but is not the catheter that Darrisaw is.  But, he holds his own.  We have all complained about the deficiencies in Bradbury's play for years.  He's slow in getting his base set in pass protection which allows opponents to push him backwards into the pocket.  He's average as a run blocker.  Ingram is a conundrum. He flashes great talent, but there are times when he misses his assignment.  Currently, the Vikings don't have a starting LG under contract. They could try and bring Risner back, but he doesn't seem to really want to be with Minnesota. The front office hasn't done much to upgrade the line in FA. So, I think they are looking at the draft.

Flores, it has been noted does not favor the big, stout, run stuffing DT or NT. The Vikings will face a number of good running teams this coming season and the Vikings got gashed by quality running teams this past season. How will KAM address the interior dline? Again, the edges have been addressed in FA for 2024, but not much has been done for the interior. 

So, for those of you who are knowledgeable, what linemen, defense and offense, might the Vikes target after round one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Maye is not in my top 4 QBs..

This is the biggest reason I love this forum during draft season. It’s the range of where everyone can have certain players. Even more when we look into QB’s.

5 hours ago, Morlee said:

How is he not in the conversation? Because mock drafts tell you so? 

I still don’t even see how Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy are getting more buzz than him. They’re not better.

His injury history is a risk, and his older age I don’t really like, but what he shows in the football field is better than what they’ve shown. Easily at that. . 

I personally believe exactly what you said is the reason he isn’t probably in most conversations for a lot of people 

1. Mock Drafts - many people do just follow along these lines

2. They Might not be better right now, but as you said, he is older. The younger player can have more time to develop. If player A is 25, and player B is 21, that’s 4 years that player has to be able to develop in a system and with a NFL coach to hit their stride. 

3. Injury history, we have seen for years and years this is a big reason for players to drop in drafts.

——

while I do agree with you, Penix is probably on par, at least to me, as a QB currently. I’d love to see the Vikings to come away with Odunze and Penix, But I also can see why in the draft he’s probably not going to go top 10. He’s 23, so he’s not that old, but is injuries are not helping him. 

• Like 1

So, considering the high likelihood of us trading up into the top 5 for a QB, what do you guys think we should do with our next picks in the 4th round?

Personally, I prefer going OL and Edge.

I'm thinking we target DL, WR, RB, OL and Edge for the rest of our draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

This is the biggest reason I love this forum during draft season. It’s the range of where everyone can have certain players. Even more when we look into QB’s.

I personally believe exactly what you said is the reason he isn’t probably in most conversations for a lot of people 

1. Mock Drafts - many people do just follow along these lines

2. They Might not be better right now, but as you said, he is older. The younger player can have more time to develop. If player A is 25, and player B is 21, that’s 4 years that player has to be able to develop in a system and with a NFL coach to hit their stride. 

3. Injury history, we have seen for years and years this is a big reason for players to drop in drafts.

——

while I do agree with you, Penix is probably on par, at least to me, as a QB currently. I’d love to see the Vikings to come away with Odunze and Penix, But I also can see why in the draft he’s probably not going to go top 10. He’s 23, so he’s not that old, but is injuries are not helping him. 

I wouldn’t be against drafting a third Receiver with one of the 1st round picks. It would just make the offense that much harder to stop. 

I also wouldn’t mind any IOL or DL with the pick, along with Penix. 

These QBs are interchangeable to me. Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Daniels and Penix are 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E.  Not in that order necessarily. 

Penix definitely could slide because of his injury history. I’m just one of those people that believe, if a player is medically approved as 100% healthy, then you go off of that with guys this young.

Vice Versa, a prospect with no injury history could have a season ending injury without even being hit. You just never know. It’s a risk no matter who you draft or what free agent you sign. Maybe I’m convincing myself lol. 

Who are the top IOL anyway? I haven’t paid much attention to that position. 

• Like 1

Joe Burrow was 23 when he was drafted. The age thing isn't a factor when you consider QBs play up to 40 if they are special. If anything a guy who is 23 is more mature than someone barely old enough to buy a beer. If I'm Jefferson I'd rather play with a guy closer to my age.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, babababa said:

Joe Burrow was 23 when he was drafted. The age thing isn't a factor when you consider QBs play up to 40 if they are special. If anything a guy who is 23 is more mature than someone barely old enough to buy a beer. If I'm Jefferson I'd rather play with a guy closer to my age.

It isn’t about how old they are when they play their last season in the NFL. The concern is whether they had their best year in college against guys who were less physically, mature and less experienced. There is also concern about whether or not they have reached their peak physically. A 21 year old undoubtedly has more room to grow than a 24-year-old. A 23 or 24-year-old who has spent six years in college programs should play better than 19, 20, and 21-year-olds. Burrow seems to be the exception. Not the rule. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN's Matt Miller:

"One of the most interesting nuggets I've picked up over the past two weeks is that multiple NFL teams have J.J. McCarthy ranked ahead of North Carolina's Drake Maye. A high-ranking evaluator I spoke to this week said McCarthy's winning résumé, upside as a mobile QB and impeccable poise under pressure all graded out higher for them than Maye. When under pressure last season, McCarthy completed an FBS-best 68% of his passes and averaged 10 yards per attempt (second-best)."

https://fansided.com/posts/latest-nfl-draft-rumor-suggests-multiple-teams-like-jj-mccarthy-over-drake-maye-01ht59cb8bs0/partners/40734?fbclid=IwAR0O6jwTm_n6n8qIIEk1E85RiS49j0muAITtVZP3qmm1cT3oC1PwSMpwvJQ

Once more deceptive information, McCarthy attempted 93 less passes than Maye "under pressure" and played 15 total games last year Drake Maye played 12, so take out those three playoff games and the attempt difference is even larger.

Not to mention 10 of those 12 regular season games were 40-10 final average so how much pressure was he actually under, sure on paper it was pressure but the game itself was at hand and under control completely in a lot of those "under pressure" throws.  

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not to mention 10 of those 12 regular season games were 40-10 final average so how much pressure was he actually under, sure on paper it was pressure but the game itself was at hand and under control completely in a lot of those "under pressure" throws.  

couldn't he have been under pressure when the score was tied or close? or isn't even considered under pressure when it's 3rd and 7 or more yards, regardless of the score?

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

couldn't he have been under pressure when the score was tied or close? or isn't even considered under pressure when it's 3rd and 7 or more yards, regardless of the score?

True if one went play by play the entire season possibly, but with scores that one sided in a great majority of the regular season games, chances are they were usually in a blowout so again I would say that specific statistic is a bit deceptive, but maybe that is just me. 

I would argue pressure on a QB in a blowout is not even close to the same as pressure on a QB in a tight game.  And one of those super tight games during the season this year they did not even attempt to throw the ball 2nd half, so not sure how great he is under pressure all of the time...  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True if one went play by play the entire season possibly, but with scores that one sided in a great majority of the regular season games, chances are they were usually in a blowout so again I would say that specific statistic is a bit deceptive, but maybe that is just me. 

I would argue pressure on a QB in a blowout is not even close to the same as pressure on a QB in a tight game.  And one of those super tight games during the season this year they did not even attempt to throw the ball 2nd half, so not sure how great he is under pressure all of the time...  

you, my friend, are the master of both broken records and splitting hairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

He was rarely under any real game pressure, and one of the close games he threw zero passes in the second half. The sample size of under pressure here is tiny for McCarthy, tiny. 

• Like 1