2023 draft- stolen players

minutemancl

I'm not talking about the traditional 'steals'. I'm talking specifically about 1 team jumping another for a player the trading team knew the other wanted. Sometimes this is just a ton of conjecture, but in rare instances, teams will admit it or you can glean some information from the scenes from the war room.

For the Giants, I really think the Buccaneers stole TE Payne Durham from us. They jumped directly ahead of us in the 5th to take him, and apparently the look on Dabs's face after that pick popped up said a lot. The Giants had Durham in for a top-30 visit, which is a very good indication that Schoen and co really like a player (they drafted almost entirely from their top-30 visit list last year and I believe 3/7 picks this year were from that list).

I know there is also a chance that the Cowboys really wanted Kincaid in the first, but the Bills jumped up to 25 to take him. This is more of a guess, but from what I've seen it holds a little bit of water.

• Like 1

I truly believe Dallas wasn’t zeroing in on Kincaid but there would have been a debate if he was there when we were on the clock and probably win that over our current 1st pick. As dumb a pick as Schoonmaker was in the second I’m glad Kincaid wasn’t there to take in the first to debate it. Just don’t believe TE return value as a first rounder. Especially one who in our offense would need to block more and he is awful at this point in his career 

Edited by TheBeast23
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, hburn said:

We didn’t trade up but I think Seattle stole Witherspoon from the lions, I think is taking him is why they traded back

Good call; I believe this was definitely the case. You didn't trade up for him, but Detroit did trade back because he was gone.

Not sure about the Patriots but basically the Packers "jumped" them in the Rodgers trade with the swap of 1st round picks.

The draft comes around and the Packers select Van Ness. A player who the Patriots brought in for a top 30 visit. The Patriots immediately traded down after that.

All was well at the end as they were able to land Gonzalez who I think is a really really good player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

Not sure about the Patriots but basically the Packers "jumped" them in the Rodgers trade with the swap of 1st round picks.

The draft comes around and the Packers select Van Ness. A player who the Patriots brought in for a top 30 visit. The Patriots immediately traded down after that.

All was well at the end as they were able to land Gonzalez who I think is a really really good player.

+1 to this. 

NE brought in most of the edge guys for a top 30 visit and apparently had a really good meeting with LVN. Reportedly he (and Flowers, who NE passed on) were set to be favorites there at 14. NE then used its SRP on a an edge rusher with (projected) similar inside-outside ability. Think there’s enough smoke here to say that Green Bay sniped LVN at 13.

That said, NE’s gotta be happy landing Christian Gonzalez at 17.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chili said:

And in our trade back, Steelers jumped NYJ and took Broderick. They then reached on McDonald, when they need tackles.

This counts, @minutemancl ?

• Like 1