Which HC would you say is under the most pressure this season and why?

CP3MVP

HC under the most pressure in 2023  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which HC is under the most pressure?

• Robert Saleh
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Brandon Staley
    • Mike Mccarthy
    • Ron Rivera
    • Dennis Allen
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kevin Stefanski
    • Other

49 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He shouldn't and wouldn't get massive credit for Rodgers doing well, no. That's a pretty absurd comparison.

What’s “massive credit”?  He brought him in. 

Are you still denying that he didn’t have anything to do with Wilson being picked and it was just forced on him?

19 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:
  • Arthur Smith: They probably use this year to see what they have in Ridder, but if they're at least not competitive for the weak NFC South, his seat is definitely red hot in 2024, if he survives next offseason

Arthur Blank is really patient with head coaches. Of his hires:

1) Jim Mora - was perfectly fine going into his 4th season until he declared his dream job was HC of the UW huskies

2) Bobby Petrino - Quit on the Falcons 13 games in

3) Mike Smith - got 7 years.

4) Dan Quinn - got 6 years.

5) Arthur Smith - First two years were the equivalent of ripping a band-aid off in the first year of your regular rebuild. This year, he needs to at least have a winning record. But if the Falcons win the NFC S and get to the playoffs, he'll be fine for at least another 2 years.

19 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Saleh picked Zach Wilson? News to me. If Rodgers sucks but the Jets' defense looks as good as it did last year, do they really fire Saleh? Where would be the logic in that?

He's the HC, not the defensive coordinator. There's the logic. He's responsible for the entire team, not just the defense.

17 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

What’s “massive credit”?  He brought him in. 

Are you still denying that he didn’t have anything to do with Wilson being picked and it was just forced on him?

I'm not saying Wilson was "forced" on him but you're here acting like Wilson was Saleh's guy lmao.

15 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

So it's Saleh's fault if Rodgers is no good?

Yes? Unless he was vocally against the move. If he supported it and Rodgers sucks of course he is? What kinda world wouldn't he be responsible for a decision he made/supported?

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes? Unless he was vocally against the move. If he supported it and Rodgers sucks of course he is? What kinda world wouldn't he be responsible for a decision he made/supported?

What I'm asking is whether Rodgers' play represents a failing of Saleh's coaching. I guess it was Lafleur's fault that Rodgers wasn't as good last season, too?

25 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

What I'm asking is whether Rodgers' play represents a failing of Saleh's coaching. I guess it was Lafleur's fault that Rodgers wasn't as good last season, too?

He's responsible for the ENTIRE team. So yes, if he hired an offensive staff that produces another failed offense it comes back to him. 

That's kinda the entire point here...being a good defensive mind doesn't mean you're a good HC. If the offense fails, he failed at that part of his job.

*Edit - and to address your MLF question: absolutely. If he pounded the table for Aaron last off-season I really question him. But I have no clue. I'm beyond excited to see what he'll do with his offense now that Aaron isn't changing 33% of it at the line. I think it's going to look a LOT more efficient than it did last year. If it's a flop, he should be on the hot seat in 2024.

Edited by incognito_man

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

Arthur Blank is really patient with head coaches. Of his hires:

1) Jim Mora - was perfectly fine going into his 4th season until he declared his dream job was HC of the UW huskies

2) Bobby Petrino - Quit on the Falcons 13 games in

3) Mike Smith - got 7 years.

4) Dan Quinn - got 6 years.

5) Arthur Smith - First two years were the equivalent of ripping a band-aid off in the first year of your regular rebuild. This year, he needs to at least have a winning record. But if the Falcons win the NFC S and get to the playoffs, he'll be fine for at least another 2 years.

Yeah, I think he's only in danger if they aren't even contending for the division and next year doesn't look to be much better

I think Rivera is in a unique position — this year, at the very least, and maybe ever. 

He’s not just the coach, he’s also the head of the FO. That makes his position in the organization extremely tenuous with new ownership coming in. Any owner is going to want to put his stamp on the organization by installing his own guy at the top of the totem pole. Almost impossible to do that with Rivera still in the mix. Would they replace him as head of personnel while keeping him as the coach? I doubt it, and I kinda doubt he’d stay.

I think he only has one chance to stick around, and that chance is named “Sam Howell.” If Howell somehow emerges as the next hotshot sophomore QB in the league, maybe they just can’t move on from Rivera. But by far the most likely outcome is that everyone thanks him for a job done — fumigating the organization of all the rot and infestation, and doing it with all the way — and someone with a little more upside comes in to try to take a solid start over the top.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah sure responsible, but it doesn’t mean he’s gonna get fired for it. Wilson being a horrific bust isn’t completely on him. Unless that team just falls flat on their face this year with Rodgers

McCarthy and it's not really close IMO. The fact he was given or took over "Play call" duties in 2023 says it all. If the Cowboys don't make a deep Playoff Run, he's toast! 

Especially if Dan Quinn has another top 5'ish Defense! Fat Mike/Dak can't be the reason Dallas chokes yet again in the playoffs.