2023 Prospects who fell, why, and do the concerns matter?

General Tso

Wanted to make a thread for posterity to see who "fell", why, and if historically these kinds of issues matter for past prospects. I define "fall" based on more famous mocks like Kiper, Jeremiah, CBS, PFF, etc. Feel free to include tweets or articles that might corroborate the concerns. 

Jalen Carter - Off-field issues and work ethic questions even from his own coaches. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/?partner=Yahoo

Christian Gonzalez - Lacks physicality on his tape. Might not have been a scheme fit for some teams (Washington). https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2023-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Wednesday

Nolan Smith - Tore his pectoral, is small, didn't have great pass rush tape.

Will Levis - His tape isn't as good as Young or Stroud and his traits are worse than Richardson.

Michael Mayer - He's a TE; he didn't test insanely athletic.

Brian Branch - He's primarily a nickel or SS who plays close to the LOS and this isn't really a "position." He also tested poorly.

Hendon Hooker - Injured his knee, is 25, and came from a simple offense.

Darnell Washington - Medical concerns https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1652114356790784003

Ade Adebawore - Tested well, but most are expecting him to make a position switch to the inside.

Dawand Jones - Weight concerns.

Antonio Johnson - Similar to Branch here with the position he plays and poor testing.

Tre'vious Hodges-Tomlineson - He's short.

Ones that I'm not sure about

Jalin Hyatt/Cedric Tillman - I am going to guess it's because of the offense they play in. Tillman also was injured.

Kelee Ringo - Not the most impressive tape? 

Luke Wypler - ??

Do you think some of these concerns are legit? Any past examples of one way or the other?

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Wanted to make a thread for posterity to see who "fell", why, and if historically these kinds of issues matter for past prospects. I define "fall" based on more famous mocks like Kiper, Jeremiah, CBS, PFF, etc. Feel free to include tweets or articles that might corroborate the concerns. 

Jalen Carter - Off-field issues and work ethic questions even from his own coaches. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/28/jalen-carter-overcame-not-great-feedback-from-georgia-coaches-to-stay-in-top-10/?partner=Yahoo

Christian Gonzalez - Lacks physicality on his tape. Might not have been a scheme fit for some teams (Washington). https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2023-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Wednesday

Nolan Smith - Tore his pectoral, is small, didn't have great pass rush tape.

Will Levis - His tape isn't as good as Young or Stroud and his traits are worse than Richardson.

Michael Mayer - He's a TE; he didn't test insanely athletic.

Brian Branch - He's primarily a nickel or SS who plays close to the LOS and this isn't really a "position." He also tested poorly.

Hendon Hooker - Injured his knee, is 25, and came from a simple offense.

Darnell Washington - Medical concerns https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1652114356790784003

Ade Adebawore - Tested well, but most are expecting him to make a position switch to the inside.

Antonio Johnson - Similar to Branch here with the position he plays and poor testing.

Tre'vious Hodges-Tomlineson - He's short.

Ones that I'm not sure about

Jalin Hyatt/Cedric Tillman - I am going to guess it's because of the offense they play in. Tillman also was injured.

Luke Wypler - ??

Do you think some of these concerns are legit? Any past examples of one way or the other?

Gonzo concerns were also he doesn’t have that Dawg in him or competitive edge I guess 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Wypler is very scheme dependent.  He will excel in a zone blocking system.  Power running, not so much.

Yeah, but more than half the teams in the NFL nowadays run that scheme. I guarantee you it was the short arms, which I think is a horrible reason to drop an interior trench player. 

13 hours ago, General Tso said:

He also was supposed to blow the doors off the combine and actually didn’t test very well, at least nowhere near the athlete he was billed to be. Bad film in 2022 without the athleticism is a double edged sword there.

• Like 1

I love Darnell Washington as a prospect and hated to see him fall.  Sounded like some knee swelling at the combine scared teams off.

New #Steelers TE Darnell Washington would have gone much higher than late-third round but "medical zonked him," as one scout said. Knee is a concern, and might not be only one, depending on the team. But as that same scout added, 'It's laughable. He will play a long time."

Also, there were reports of extremely vague character concerns, but no one ever had any more than that.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:15 AM, Ragnarok said:

I love Darnell Washington as a prospect and hated to see him fall.  Sounded like some knee swelling at the combine scared teams off.

New #Steelers TE Darnell Washington would have gone much higher than late-third round but "medical zonked him," as one scout said. Knee is a concern, and might not be only one, depending on the team. But as that same scout added, 'It's laughable. He will play a long time."

Also, there were reports of extremely vague character concerns, but no one ever had any more than that.

The character reports on Washington seemed entirely like conjecture. When there are rumors that a player like him will fall, it is either because of medical or character issues. It sounds like some in the rumor mill heard he was going to fall and hadn't gotten news of the bad medicals yet, so they just went with character concerns.

I will say though, since he fell to the 3rd and went behind TEs like Musgrave, Schoonmaker, Strange, and more, I'd think all 32 teams dinged him for medical reasons, including the Steelers. They just felt comfortable with the risk in the 3rd round, which I think is that sweet spot where teams will draft talented guys with certain concerns. They feel more comfortable with risk starting in the 3rd round.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:55 PM, General Tso said:

This is just hilarious to me. IIRC, nobody really thought of him as an EDGE before the combine... he predominantly played DT at Northwestern. So he's going to switch positions from IDL/Not an EDGE to IDL/Not an EDGE?

3 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

This is just hilarious to me. IIRC, nobody really thought of him as an EDGE before the combine... he predominantly played DT at Northwestern. So he's going to switch positions from IDL/Not an EDGE to IDL/Not an EDGE?

He played both at Northwestern. I think he's more of a DE. My biggest gripe with him is that he never makes plays. So many times on film I'll see him destroy a blocker and then just get stuck on the block. He seems to have a really low football IQ, if that makes sense. Has all the tools, but doesn't capitalize on them with any consistency, even when you see the flashes. I thought his tape, within the same rep, would look amazing and then leave me going "wtf" so often.

I think he fits best as a strong side LDE that can cave down an edge. I just wish he could come off of that edge and make a freaking tackle, but whatever. I'd play him inside of TE's and let him wreck havoc as a 6I from a block destruction standpoint. That's what he does best--destroy blocks.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, General Tso said:

I think it was way more than weight concerns.

There’s some sort of attitude issue there, it seems like. Or at least the teams/scouts didn’t like how he handled things. They didn’t like that he dipped out of the Senior Bowl after (dominating) Day One. They didn’t like that he did nothing at the OSU Pro Day (after skipping much of the combine). Sounds like they didn’t like his answers to questions about his weight and his preference for basketball. I know WAS took him off their board after he cancelled a Top 30 meeting with them (purportedly because “they already have a RT”). 

It’s a shame, because I think he was an absolute beast on the field most of the time. Not technically sound in any sense, but just physically dominant. He did not lose much. But he sure blew the draft process, it seems like.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Luke Wypler - ??

A lot of people overthought these guys