Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 talk

TecmoSuperJoe

Saw it on Friday, had a really good time with it. It's a heavy movie with all of Rocket's backstory in there. I won't go into detail, but it's been hinted at in trailers and in previous Guardians movies. I thought they did a really good job of blending the drama with the comedy that you expect from Guardians. And how it wrapped up and where characters are, I like that. I don't know that I prefer it to the first Guardians movie, but I definitely like it better than Vol 2, and Vol 3 is really close to Vol 1 for me. And Cosmo is such a good character, like a nice addition to the story.

• Like 1

Man, even letting it settle a couple days, I can't stress how well this movie was put together.  A couple off beats here and there, but even the side jokes and throwaway lines were used towards each specific characters arc and personality building.  Laughed quite a bit, a great drama built around Rocket's backstory, brought a tear to my eyes on a couple occasions, and fan service in the best possible sense that each character got to have their moments to shine and it all worked together.

SPOILERS, you've been warned

Pros

• I read some people were mad about Adam Warlock being a buffoon, but they literally explained that he was removed from his cocoon early and was basically a child.  I thought his use was just fine and made sense within the narrative.  He now has room to grow as a new member of the Guardians and gives then a heavy hitter with Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, and Nebula all moving on.
  • I thought they could have fleshed out the High Evolutionary's motivations a little better other than being a megalomaniac, but man was that a character you wanted to hate.  Good job in that regard.  I know it was a longer movie already, but that runtime flew by and I think you could have squeezed another 3-5 minutes in there to flesh him out.  That said, a very good baddie and an excellent job done by Chukwudi Iwuji
  • All the best MCU movies have a bit (or more than a bit) of catharsis in them.  From where Peter started out drunk and depressed, getting interact more with the present Gamora, even bringing her a bit back into the fold personality wise to a degree, but in the end having to move on from what he lost, one of my favorite parts of the movie.  It also ties into reconnecting with his grandfather and healing the trauma from his past.  I'm pretty pumped for whatever solo project they have lined up for Star Lord, because Chris Pratt just gets the character so well and has grown on screen over the 3 Guardians movies and various other cameos.
  • Top notch action sequences, 3 or 4 that just really came together well, especially considering how much CGI is involved.  Peter and Groot getting the drop on the HE, taking out the goons and getting the hard drive, and subsequent jumping off the ship.  The hallway fight scene towards the end where they all got to work together. The fight and escape from the living tissue place.  Super enjoyable action.
  • Music and scoring was on point as always with these movies.
  • Loved loved loved how each character had their moments to shine. Peter pulling his **** together when the people he loves needed him most. Drax coming through with his humanity and not as "The Destroyer".  Mantis understanding and connecting with the battery eating monsters who were supposed to destroy them, as well as the pain in her expression when she made Drax forget when she and Nebula were talking about how stupid he was and she realized just how much they cut him to the core (and swinging back to Drax showing both his emotional intelligence after that and his ability to connect with children).  Nebula fully embracing the Guardians and having the family that she never did under Thanos and emerging as the leader of Knowhere for the community at the end.  Groot more or less remained Groot, but getting to understand him at the very end was a nice chef's kiss moment.
  • Rocket.  Bravo man, what a backstory and telling of what made him into the character we meet at the start of the first movie, while also at the same time leaving some room to mine that some more as we didn't see how he met Groot.  I like that he is taking over the Guardians with the new lineup as well. His friends/family from as a child were excellent as well, and how he interacted with them.  Made the theater get awfully dusty a couple times with that group.

Cons

• Honestly, this is mostly going to be nitpicking, I loved this movie from start to finish.
  • I get that they were pushing Drax's humanity, and I liked it overall, but I do agree they make him a bit too much of the buffoon from time to time.  Now it ended up paying off after that, just something I felt.
  • Alternate Gamora only came from like 3-6 months prior to where Peter met her in Guardians 1, I think they went a little overboard with the personality shift.  I can accept her and Peter not getting together, but she has less humanity in this than she did at the start of Guardians 1, and it's not particularly close.
  • I wanted the HE to be fleshed out a little more like mentioned in my pros section for the character.  It's a long movie, but it could have easily carried an extra 3-5 minutes.
  • Drax and Mantis leaving Rocket with only Gamora to defend him when they knew they were walking into a trap made no sense.
  • The "health packs" are a little too macguffiny for my liking, everybody went from "almost dead" to A-Ok really quickly.

Other Thoughts

• Even with Gunn being done directing these, I think they should push forward with a new trilogy.  Attempt to keep Gunn on as a producer (I know he's top brass at WB now, but contracts are made to handle stuff like this) just to get his input.
  • I read on Twitter where Gunn did a Q&A that there is a full playlist for the Zune that Gunn has made, and we saw in the movie that it ranged from the 1950's through the 2000's.  I'd love to see that playlist.
  • I like Guardian's 2 more than most, so I think this is the best trilogy of movies in the entire MCU, it's a tough call between Guardians and Captain America.

MCU Rankings

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 3
  5. The Avengers
  6. Doctor Strange
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Iron Man
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. WandaVision
  12. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  13. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  14. Loki
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Captain America: The First Avenger
  17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  19. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  20. Ant-Man
  21. Thor: Love and Thunder
  22. Thor
  23. Shang-Chi: Legend of the Ten Rings
  24. Moon Knight
  25. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  26. Iron Man 2
  27. Hawkeye
  28. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  29. Black Panther
  30. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  31. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
  32. The Falcon and the Winter Solider
  33. Black Widow
  34. Iron Man 3
  35. What If...?
  36. Ms. Marvel
  37. Eternals
  38. Captain Marvel
  39. The Incredible Hulk
  40. Thor: The Dark World

• Like 3

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Man, even letting it settle a couple days, I can't stress how well this movie was put together.  A couple off beats here and there, but even the side jokes and throwaway lines were used towards each specific characters arc and personality building.  Laughed quite a bit, a great drama built around Rocket's backstory, brought a tear to my eyes on a couple occasions, and fan service in the best possible sense that each character got to have their moments to shine and it all worked together.

SPOILERS, you've been warned

Pros

• I read some people were mad about Adam Warlock being a buffoon, but they literally explained that he was removed from his cocoon early and was basically a child.  I thought his use was just fine and made sense within the narrative.  He now has room to grow as a new member of the Guardians and gives then a heavy hitter with Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, and Nebula all moving on.
  • I thought they could have fleshed out the High Evolutionary's motivations a little better other than being a megalomaniac, but man was that a character you wanted to hate.  Good job in that regard.  I know it was a longer movie already, but that runtime flew by and I think you could have squeezed another 3-5 minutes in there to flesh him out.  That said, a very good baddie and an excellent job done by Chukwudi Iwuji
  • All the best MCU movies have a bit (or more than a bit) of catharsis in them.  From where Peter started out drunk and depressed, getting interact more with the present Gamora, even bringing her a bit back into the fold personality wise to a degree, but in the end having to move on from what he lost, one of my favorite parts of the movie.  It also ties into reconnecting with his grandfather and healing the trauma from his past.  I'm pretty pumped for whatever solo project they have lined up for Star Lord, because Chris Pratt just gets the character so well and has grown on screen over the 3 Guardians movies and various other cameos.
  • Top notch action sequences, 3 or 4 that just really came together well, especially considering how much CGI is involved.  Peter and Groot getting the drop on the HE, taking out the goons and getting the hard drive, and subsequent jumping off the ship.  The hallway fight scene towards the end where they all got to work together. The fight and escape from the living tissue place.  Super enjoyable action.
  • Music and scoring was on point as always with these movies.
  • Loved loved loved how each character had their moments to shine. Peter pulling his **** together when the people he loves needed him most. Drax coming through with his humanity and not as "The Destroyer".  Mantis understanding and connecting with the battery eating monsters who were supposed to destroy them, as well as the pain in her expression when she made Drax forget when she and Nebula were talking about how stupid he was and she realized just how much they cut him to the core (and swinging back to Drax showing both his emotional intelligence after that and his ability to connect with children).  Nebula fully embracing the Guardians and having the family that she never did under Thanos and emerging as the leader of Knowhere for the community at the end.  Groot more or less remained Groot, but getting to understand him at the very end was a nice chef's kiss moment.
  • Rocket.  Bravo man, what a backstory and telling of what made him into the character we meet at the start of the first movie, while also at the same time leaving some room to mine that some more as we didn't see how he met Groot.  I like that he is taking over the Guardians with the new lineup as well. His friends/family from as a child were excellent as well, and how he interacted with them.  Made the theater get awfully dusty a couple times with that group.

Cons

• Honestly, this is mostly going to be nitpicking, I loved this movie from start to finish.
  • I get that they were pushing Drax's humanity, and I liked it overall, but I do agree they make him a bit too much of the buffoon from time to time.  Now it ended up paying off after that, just something I felt.
  • Alternate Gamora only came from like 3-6 months prior to where Peter met her in Guardians 1, I think they went a little overboard with the personality shift.  I can accept her and Peter not getting together, but she has less humanity in this than she did at the start of Guardians 1, and it's not particularly close.
  • I wanted the HE to be fleshed out a little more like mentioned in my pros section for the character.  It's a long movie, but it could have easily carried an extra 3-5 minutes.
  • Drax and Mantis leaving Rocket with only Gamora to defend him when they knew they were walking into a trap made no sense.
  • The "health packs" are a little too macguffiny for my liking, everybody went from "almost dead" to A-Ok really quickly.

Other Thoughts

• Even with Gunn being done directing these, I think they should push forward with a new trilogy.  Attempt to keep Gunn on as a producer (I know he's top brass at WB now, but contracts are made to handle stuff like this) just to get his input.
  • I read on Twitter where Gunn did a Q&A that there is a full playlist for the Zune that Gunn has made, and we saw in the movie that it ranged from the 1950's through the 2000's.  I'd love to see that playlist.
  • I like Guardian's 2 more than most, so I think this is the best trilogy of movies in the entire MCU, it's a tough call between Guardians and Captain America.

MCU Rankings

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 3
  5. The Avengers
  6. Doctor Strange
  7. Thor: Ragnarok
  8. Iron Man
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. WandaVision
  12. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  13. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  14. Loki
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Captain America: The First Avenger
  17. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  19. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  20. Ant-Man
  21. Thor: Love and Thunder
  22. Thor
  23. Shang-Chi: Legend of the Ten Rings
  24. Moon Knight
  25. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  26. Iron Man 2
  27. Hawkeye
  28. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  29. Black Panther
  30. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  31. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
  32. The Falcon and the Winter Solider
  33. Black Widow
  34. Iron Man 3
  35. What If...?
  36. Ms. Marvel
  37. Eternals
  38. Captain Marvel
  39. The Incredible Hulk
  40. Thor: The Dark World

We're really 40 projects in. Crazy.

58 minutes ago, Mox said:

We're really 40 projects in. Crazy.

Including official MCU TV shows, yep.  Secret Wars coming next month, Loki season 2 later this summer, The Marvels this fall.

breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

The question I face coming up, is does season 2 of Loki count as it's own entry, or do all seasons of a show get bundled together as one entry?  I'm inclined to think each season is it's own thing, but unsure as of yet.

Edited by THE DUKE

19 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Including official MCU TV shows, yep.  Secret Wars coming next month, Loki season 2 later this summer, The Marvels this fall.

breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

The question I face coming up, is does season 2 of Loki count as it's own entry, or do all seasons of a show get bundled together as one entry?  I'm inclined to think each season is it's own thing, but unsure as of yet.

Hm I hadn’t thought of it, I think for these purposes it makes sense for them to be separate. Like all the films it’s a narrative point A to B in the larger narrative of the MCU. Doesn’t matter if it’s 6, hour long episodes or an almost 3 hour movie.

Think project to project it’ll seem more or less it’s own thing. Like the animated shows aside from what if I’m inclined to lump together. Ms Marvel maybe

I finally went this afternoon. The first half was pretty mediocre for me tbh. A lot of the movie felt like they chose some popular songs and then decided what visuals to add. Outside of Rocket's stuff, it was a lot of "what would look cool" with our music that gets us between Rocket flashbacks. With that, Rockets' story was the highlight by far.

Adam Warlock needed more screen time for his story or just removed. High Evolutionary was a good, refreshing villain. I enjoyed the second half a lot more than the first. It saved the movie for me. My only complaint was that there was too many fake outs on deaths. Overall, it was a great way for the Guardians story to end; or rather evolve.

I'd rank this top 15 for sure. Top 10 is debatable.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

High evolutionary should be a Kang Variant.

If Majors has to go, it’s one of the simpler solutions. He killed it and would be fun to see him more.

There are some issues with it, but they can be explained away.