Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 talk

TecmoSuperJoe

Still early, so no spoilers from me as of now. Just wanted to say that I was highly pleased with the film. Best MCU anything since Spider Man No Way Home. Definitely had that victory lap coronation to the last 9 years. James Gunn has really put together something special, and this was a great way to put a bow on the entire Guardians saga. Would highly recommend. 

5 immediate impressions: 

1.  Rocket back story and send off for the cast  was amazing.   Thought how they addressed Gamora / Peter was terrific.   

2.  Music was fantastic (as always). 

3.  Adam Warlock was def the weakest part of the movie.  

4.   Pretty clear GOTG3 was never going to be a big part of arc set up for Phase 5.    That’s fine but the idea Feige & co. have a  storyboard for Phase 5/6 like they did for Phase 2/3 seems really unlikely.   

5.  MCU will miss Gunn’s ability to weave stories that make you care about the characters.     GOTG1 is still the masterpiece but given this was a send off for the cast as currently built - it’s really enjoyable on its own, but at the same time it doesn’t address the fan fatigue Phase 4/5 is experiencing.   

Edited by Broncofan

Excellent movie, the first guardians is one I hold very near to my heart and yet this one matches that for me in many ways. Soundtrack is always great as well as the emotions and plot is probably the best of the 3. This was the exact movie the MCU movie needed right now and I had one hell of a time with this one, James Gunn will be missed because it’s gonna be hard for new MCU projects to top this one.

I thought it started a little messy but ended up being a high-quality movie and great send off. Gunn proves once again that despite everyone wanting to create their own Star Lord clone, only he has done it well. The Rocket stuff was fantastic, and I can't think of a more unlikeable villain in the MCU. Usually they are forgettable or morally gray but cool. Rarely do you actually hate them. I'd rank them 1>3>2.

• Like 1

I think this is the best one of the series. 

The novelty of the first movie (and all first movies in a series) contributes to its advantage over the sequels. Once you rub that novelty away, I think Vol. 3 is superior.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, Mox said:

I thought it started a little messy but ended up being a high-quality movie and great send off. Gunn proves once again that despite everyone wanting to create their own Star Lord clone, only he has done it well. The Rocket stuff was fantastic, and I can't think of a more unlikeable villain in the MCU. Usually they are forgettable or morally gray but cool. Rarely do you actually hate them. I'd rank them 1>3>2.

I agree wholeheartedly about The High Evolutionary.  Easily number one for villain I hate the most.

Best the MCU has done in years. This was what Endgame was to the Avengers saga, for the GOTG crew. Amazing emotional beats, music was great as always in James Gunn stuff, some real strong action sequences, an excellent villain, and genuinely great character work. Left things resolved but open at the same time for all of the core characters of the series. Probably top 5 in the MCU, for me, which I was not at all expecting going into this.

And with it being James Gunn's sendoff from the MCU, it gets me optimistic just in time to be hurt by DC again.

• Like 1