2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

On 6/7/2023 at 8:09 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope someone beats out Jonathan Garvin this year.  I don't know if he's attended a single OTA in the past two years.  It seems he does the bare minimum, and still manages to make the team. 

Absent injury I don't think he has a shot at making the 53. We are way too deep there. Gary starting on PUP would be his only prayer.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:33 AM, R T said:

Want to question something, maybe question Alexander who has a 700K bonus and Douglas who has a 300K bonus and why they are not there. They are leaders of the team, players others follow. 

When JA doesn't get voted captain again, maybe it will dawn on him. 

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Anyone disappointed that Walker is lower on the depth charts at T than say a Jones?

I mean he was only a 7th rounder but given the physical talent there I was expecting a bigger jump year 2. Still early but yeah.

Maybe Walker has made a jump. Maybe Jones has just made a bigger one. More likely, it's too early to tell who has made a jump. It should also be pointed out that Packers don't release a depth chart until training camp.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Maybe Walker has made a jump. Maybe Jones has just made a bigger one. More likely, it's too early to tell who has made a jump. It should also be pointed out that Packers don't release a depth chart until training camp.

I am confident Walker will get over the hump this year. 

• Like 2

Garvin is also only 6 months older than Enagbare and Cox Jr, despite being a 4th year player.  You don't cut a young player, on a rookie deal, with a 9 RAS, and pretty good college production, without someone else stepping up and being un-cuttable.  Perhaps with the addition of Van Ness, Cox Jr, and the versatility of Karl Brooks to play some edge, this is the end of the line for Garvin.  But he is also a 7th round pick that we have gotten 650+ snaps from scrimmage and 250+ special teams snaps out of in 3 seasons.  

I just watched the college highlights of Enagbare, Cox, and Garvin, again.  Enagbare is a superior player, and was drafted higher, and it shows.  Cox and Garvin are just about equal.

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

Anyone disappointed that Walker is lower on the depth charts at T than say a Jones?

I mean he was only a 7th rounder but given the physical talent there I was expecting a bigger jump year 2. Still early but yeah.

I think you may have answered your own question with your last sentence.  It is still real early.  Remember last season, he was hurt all the way up until the preseason finale, and then kicked some butt.  We do have quite a few interesting prospects in that OL room.  He will get his shot to make someone humble old country way in the preseason.

On 6/7/2023 at 2:10 PM, vegas492 said:

How so?

To me they are more like  DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor in that they are rookies drafted in the same year.

To my knowledge, they both wanted to be here, as opposed to Jackson.  Neither have his resume.  Or really his skill.

To my knowledge, ...well....insert whatever Chmura joke you want.  Hot tubs.  High school girl.....etc.  Except that Chewie was very talented and had a lot of NFL success.

I still long for the days of competent TE play.  We aren't there yet.  But at least there is hope with those two.

I'd settle for Finley and Crabtree 2.0

The bar is kind of in hell.

Edited by HyponGrey

10 hours ago, Green19 said:

I can't get too worked up about OTA depth chart status of RD7 picks in year 2.  Long term, I'll be fine if either of them turn into anything.  Short term, I want to see Jones pummel some more fools in the pre-season games.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Garvin is also only 6 months older than Enagbare and Cox Jr, despite being a 4th year player.  You don't cut a young player, on a rookie deal, with a 9 RAS, and pretty good college production, without someone else stepping up and being un-cuttable.  Perhaps with the addition of Van Ness, Cox Jr, and the versatility of Karl Brooks to play some edge, this is the end of the line for Garvin.  But he is also a 7th round pick that we have gotten 650+ snaps from scrimmage and 250+ special teams snaps out of in 3 seasons.  

I just watched the college highlights of Enagbare, Cox, and Garvin, again.  Enagbare is a superior player, and was drafted higher, and it shows.  Cox and Garvin are just about equal.

I know sacks don't tell the whole story, but he has 1.5 sacks in 38 games. He's had 3 seasons to show his skills... Hollins stepped in last year and played solid, and had 2.5 sacks in 6 games with the Packers.

If Brenton Cox Jr. shows absolutely nothing and Gary is on the PUP, then maybe there is a chance, but I don't see it happening.

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is Garvin's last year before he'd hit free agency. That reason alone means he has to way our play the competition who will be under our control for 3 more years after this one. 

Hollins and Enagbare are virtual locks. So are Van Ness and Preston. IMO, Garvin, even with his 9 RAS, has a big hill to climb to make the roster this season. For three years he's been a big nothingburger. 

Jonathan Garvin Stats | ESPN

Does he even play on any special teams? 

Edited by Old Guy

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hollins and Enagbare are virtual locks. So are Van Ness and Preston.

I think you're using the phrase Virtual Lock a little too freely here. Hollins is one of many guys on the team fighting for a roster spot, hardly a virtual lock.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is Garvin's last year before he'd hit free agency. That reason alone means he has to way our play the competition who will be under our control for 3 more years after this one. 

Hollins and Enagbare are virtual locks. So are Van Ness and Preston. IMO, Garvin, even with his 9 RAS, has a big hill to climb to make the roster this season. For three years he's been a big nothingburger. 

Jonathan Garvin Stats | ESPN

Does he even play on any special teams? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarvJo00.htm

Games Off. Def. ST
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
Career           0   673   257
2020 21 GNB DE 53 8 0 0 0% 85 18% 22 10%
2021 22 GNB DE 53 16 1 0 0% 395 39% 111 28%
2022 23 GNB LB 53 14 0 0 0% 193 23% 124 35%

Not a lot, but yes, he does.  

No doubt it is time for Garvin to **** or get off the pot. But a guy with his talent is one that you give every chance to, until someone actually takes his spot.  He hasn't been good.  Should we instead have kept Tipa? 

Jon Garvin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dWehHsbPhE&ab_channel=Stadium

Brenton Cox Jr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEZhx9y6a_8&ab_channel=BrodieKnowsBall

Do you see much of a difference? I sure don't.  Now, we have more team control and a smaller contract for Cox compared to Garvin.  That will be a factor.  And maybe Cox sets the preseason on fire.  That would be great.  But given the information that we have, you can't just write off Garvin for Cox or Hollins.  All of these guys are fighting for one spot. 

• Like 1