2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you guys are being a little hypercritical of Hanson.  No, I don't want him starting.  But as a preseason second string center? He should be just fine.

I think we're all just reminded of how he got absolutely ragdolled week 1 last year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you guys are being a little hypercritical of Hanson.  No, I don't want him starting.  But as a preseason second string center? He should be just fine.

Agree. Many fans turn on a lot of OL before they ever have a chance to develop, most don't hit their best years until that 25-28 range. By then the hate bandwagon is full and racing down the mountain highway out of control. It's the poor bastards that are forced into action before they are ready that take the worst of it. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

All joking aside, this probably helps us in preseason. You want the line of misfits to be as experienced as possible late in those games so you can get a fair look at everyone else. If your line is a complete shambles, nothing on offense will really work. He’ll probably be decent in that role. I also hope this is the year they trust the younger guys enough to move him to the PS or move on completely. 

He's so bad this is the only option. He was barely a speed bump when he played last year. It was brutal watching him take the beating he took literally every snap. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He just isn't a good player. Plus his worst attribute is his lack of versatility, something GB covets. They tried him at OG for some dumb reason last year and it didn't work. Yea he can be a backup C but that's probably not even worth a roster spot by itself when you have Jenkins, Tom and Runyan who can also play OC. 

I put Newman in a similar category talent wise but Newman's versatility makes him more valuable IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

didnt expect this . Hopefully he bounces back 

Did you expect PUP to start the year? I think he thought he was going to be ready for the start of camp. Hope he comes back an improved version of year 1 rather than his sophomore slump. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

He just isn't a good player. Plus his worst attribute is his lack of versatility, something GB covets. They tried him at OG for some dumb reason last year and it didn't work. Yea he can be a backup C but that's probably not even worth a roster spot by itself when you have Jenkins, Tom and Runyan who can also play OC. 

I put Newman in a similar category talent wise but Newman's versatility makes him more valuable IMO. 

Yeah. he had a chance to show what he could do last year, and unfortunately he did. The only thing that gives him a shot at making the team this year is the fact that the Packers didn't draft any offensive linemen. Still I expect guys like Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones and Sean Rhyan to pass him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Did you expect PUP to start the year? I think he thought he was going to be ready for the start of camp. Hope he comes back an improved version of year 1 rather than his sophomore slump. 

The guys on the podcasts seemed like he was for sure missing time this year. And I think MLF said something at like OTAs that he’s not running yet. 

im with you there. He had such a great rookie year, I was shocked at how bad he was last year .

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

didnt expect this . Hopefully he bounces back 

Optimistic Stokes news is great.  Not sure if he'll ever be 100% again, but I sure hope so.  And even if he is, not sure he'll get back to how good he was first half of his rookie season, when he just ran and mirrored guys.  Coaching and whatever else made him worse after that.  But man, would it help if he could get good again.  

12 hours ago, craig said:

Optimistic Stokes news is great.  Not sure if he'll ever be 100% again, but I sure hope so.  And even if he is, not sure he'll get back to how good he was first half of his rookie season, when he just ran and mirrored guys.  Coaching and whatever else made him worse after that.  But man, would it help if he could get good again.  

Why? He wouldn't be the first rookie to go through a sophomore slump and return to play at much higher standards going forward. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why? He wouldn't be the first rookie to go through a sophomore slump and return to play at much higher standards going forward. 

Most of those guys aren't coming off of major knee/foot surgeries.

Really sucks that two of our best young defensive players are both coming off of major injuries.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, ReadyToThump said:

I think we're all just reminded of how he got absolutely ragdolled week 1 last year. 

But what does that have to do with playing against second and third stringers in the preseason so Clifford and Ettling can target Duece Watts and Bo Melton?  Starting him at guard last season will be a head scratcher for a long time.  But what is wrong with having a true center taking back-up reps in preseason?  Lucas Patrick was pretty bad for a couple of years too.  Trust the process.  

• Like 1