2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

4 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

Not going to be alarmed but I’m not feeling great about a rookie kicker in general. One way to keep some pressure off of the young offense would be to run the ball, play some hard nosed defense and have a kicker who is money as long as the offense can get to the 40yd line. Mase would have made sense in that role since he’s proven he can get it done under pressure and when the weather turns. Anders has a lot to prove and he can ask his brother, it just takes one clutch failure to become a pariah even if you’re developing and have potential. Hope we don’t get bitten there. 

7 minutes ago, R T said:

No.

I thought slot corners and strong safety both essentially cover the same area in the middle against TE, Slot WR and RB who flex out wide.

Edited by Chili

11 hours ago, Refugee said:

Not going to be alarmed but I’m not feeling great about a rookie kicker in general. One way to keep some pressure off of the young offense would be to run the ball, play some hard nosed defense and have a kicker who is money as long as the offense can get to the 40yd line. Mase would have made sense in that role since he’s proven he can get it done under pressure and when the weather turns. Anders has a lot to prove and he can ask his brother, it just takes one clutch failure to become a pariah even if you’re developing and have potential. Hope we don’t get bitten there. 

They were trying Whelan as the holder yesterday, not saying that was all of it but ball placement matters. Tilt left or right, laces in or out, it all matters. 

5 minutes ago, R T said:

They were trying Whelan as the holder yesterday, not saying that was all of it but ball placement matters. Tilt left or right, laces in or out, it all matters. 

At least one of the misses had O'Donnell holding.

They are also rotating LS so the speed of the ball and accuracy might be affecting the kick timing but they don't say anything in the tweets about who the LS is.

Edited by Chili

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

I thought slot corners and strong safety both essentially cover the same area in the middle against TE, Slot WR and RB who flex out wide.

I think the slot corners generally cover the WR in the slot. Those guys have tended to be smaller, quicker guys. So often the slot CB is same. The strong safety is generally the 8th man in the box and often winds up covering TEs when in man coverage. Unless you are playing two deep zone. Then each safety covers have of the field deep. Buffalo is the best two deep team with Poyer and Hyde IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

One of the misses at least had O'Donnell holding.

They are also rotating LS so the speed of the ball and accuracy might be affecting the kick timing but they don't say anything in the tweets about who the LS is.

Whatever kinks in the operation, this is the time to work them out. I’m not saying we might not have a kicker but he wasn’t exactly lights out in college and this young offense could probably use a crutch for when they can’t get into the RZ and 2 min situations. He’ll get his chances preseason which will be the best evaluation we can get. Coach Bisaccia has earned some trust so let this one fall on him. 

20 hours ago, Refugee said:

Mason Crosby was 1-4 (terrible) from kicks where the offense got to between the 33 and 40 yard line last year. 

He was 6-7 (league average) when the offense got to between the 23 and 32 yard line last year.