2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Oregon St is a run-heavy offense so I think some ppl underestimated the foundation that he already has to block. He missed so much of last season that we didn’t see as much of it which honestly worked out for us since his draft stock would’ve been much higher had he played the entire season. 

Very fair.  Those Pac games are on at like 2 am.  So I see rookie receiving TE, and I am assuming the worst.  I think he is at least as good as Tonyan right now.  

• Like 1

Aaron Nagler last night floated the idea that Toure may be on the bubble. He suggested that the fact that Toure was on all the return teams nay indicate he needs to show he can contribute on ST to make the roster. 

If true though, I think the hamstring injury to Wicks, if significant, may save Toure. For now.

7 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Aaron Nagler last night floated the idea that Toure may be on the bubble. He suggested that the fact that Toure was on all the return teams nay indicate he needs to show he can contribute on ST to make the roster. 

If true though, I think the hamstring injury to Wicks, if significant, may save Toure. For now.

Honestly if that were the case, we'd be seeing Toure do actual gruntwork on these units as opposed to returner(as compared to Wicks and Heath who were taking blocking positions ahead of Toure yesterday). It looks more like the team is trying to see what kind of depth at returner they actually have outside of Nixon and probably Reed.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I had the same thought last night.  Cost is basically equal when in comes to Toure/ Wicks/ DuBose/ Heath.

Investment is similar as well.  Toure seems smaller than Wicks, DuBose and Heath, so the blocking premium might bump those guys ahead of Toure

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

WR/TE battles and production are going to be the single most interesting thing compared to the past ~12 years in Green Bay.

The battles will no longer come down to chemistry with Rodgers and whether or not Rodgers likes them, but to their ability to contribute.

I feel like a lot of those bubble receivers over the years did or did not make the team based on Aaron's unprovable nudging.

Degaura becomes the single most interesting player on the team this year. If he has ~40 receptions this year, it'll go a long way towards proving my point that Rodgers was not playing LaFleur's scheme and was a crap teammate.

In fact, the entire TE room will be interesting. Tight ends have been open on timing routes going clear back to Jimmy Graham's final year here.

If I was into fantasy football, I'd take a flyer on Green Bay tight ends. Not necessarily Musgrave or Kraft due to the notorious first year TE struggles across the NFL, but Degaura I'd take a late flyer on.

Toure is definitely making the team.  He is clearly the back-up slot and gadget guy, can play outside, and is a veteran in this group.  He looks explosive with the ball, I think they need ways to get him on the field.

Hard to rank guys as the 4 or 5.  It comes down to situation football.  Heath and Wicks are gonna end up playing some “big slot” with the Davis injury, and Deguara underwhelming.  

6 minutes ago, MacReady said:

WR/TE battles and production are going to be the single most interesting thing compared to the past ~12 years in Green Bay.

The battles will no longer come down to chemistry with Rodgers and whether or not Rodgers likes them, but to their ability to contribute.

I feel like a lot of those bubble receivers over the years did or did not make the team based on Aaron's unprovable nudging.

Degaura becomes the single most interesting player on the team this year. If he has ~40 receptions this year, it'll go a long way towards proving my point that Rodgers was not playing LaFleur's scheme and was a crap teammate.

I think it’s already looking that way, which is refreshing.  Guys playing faster and eager to contribute.  Or as LaFleur said “attacking”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

I think it’s already looking that way, which is refreshing.  Guys playing faster and eager to contribute.  Or as LaFleur said “attacking”

Yeah I got so sick of that BS laissez faire attitude offensively and defensively. 

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Sounds fine to me. Isn’t he like 25? Go with the younger rookies who have been better 

5 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

It's pretty noticable .. hopefully it translates to a nice weekend one win and a fast start to what will be a season of challenges. 

On 8/17/2023 at 8:38 PM, Old Guy said:

Heath has got to be on the team. He's tough as nails and he looks the part as a WR. 

I don't know how Health hasn't made the team already.

Dubose probably needs an injury to happen so we can stash on IR.

Or maybe that is Wicks if he can't come back quickly.

But that WR room that looked, uh, suspect, is now looking pretty good top to bottom.

Which means it'll suck when we have 2 first rounders next year, a great WR is sitting there looking at us and we take defense twice.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:06 AM, MacReady said:

I have purposefully tried ignoring anything and everything football related since the end of the draft.

The more you pay attention to this time of year, the longer the offseason lasts.

It's felt like three weeks since the end of the draft to me.

So... Catch me up.

In spite of my attempts to remain ignorant, I've heard whispers of the next Donald Driver and also whispers of the next Sam Shields/Tramon Williams. I've heard Rasul Douglas himself has said he's the new starting safety for the Packers. I've heard a lot of hype around Christian Watson and Jordan Love.

I've heard absolutely nothing regarding Van Ness. Don't know if that's good or bad.

I've heard Luke Musgrave is a Waller/Kelce love child.

What have I missed?

My takeaways?

Clifford is the real deal.  And it may not be just because every other QB we've played in pre-season after Love leaves has been a UDFA.  The kid has an arm, legs and huge boulders between the legs.  Short memory, too.

We are proving, again, that you need not draft RB's high to find good ones.

Tom is starting somewhere on the line.  Walker looks the part of a LT.

Van Ness looks very, uh, meh so far.  No burst, no real displays of power.  Just a lot of effort so far.

Steal of the draft is the 7'th rounder at corner.  Valentine.  Finally got burned last game by Boutte.  It was A Boutte Time.  (sorry, not sorry)

Our kicker has a huge leg.  Meh on accuracy, but still, a huge leg.

Jordan Love does in fact love Doubs.  Jordan has made every throw you would expect him to make and then some.

Musgrave is even bigger and faster than advertised.  And he has really soft hands.  He's a weapon.

Wyatt does look much better in year 2.  Slaton looks improved as well.

Those mid round kids we took, Wooden and Brooks?  They both can play.  I like Brooks a little better, he just seems like a larger guy, but both can play.

Overall, we are much bigger, faster, stronger and looser than prior years.

My complaints are this, and they are minimal.  Backup ILB.  We lack depth there, oh well.  Safeties.  No one has stood out, yet.  The 7'th rounder flashed in this past game.  But it is a pretty meh safety group.  Backup guard isn't the best either.  We are probably just fine, but I think they can upgrade from Newman, Rhyan appears to be better this year.

23 hours ago, MacReady said:

In fact, the entire TE room will be interesting. Tight ends have been open on timing routes going clear back to Jimmy Graham's final year here.

If I was into fantasy football, I'd take a flyer on Green Bay tight ends. Not necessarily Musgrave or Kraft due to the notorious first year TE struggles across the NFL, but Degaura I'd take a late flyer on.

Love looks at Musgrave a lot.  And MLF is going to feature him a lot.  He's a matchup nightmare.  He is fast, he is long and he has very good hands.  Telling yah, that kid is LEGIT.

Degaura is not.  He's an H-back.  I don't feel like his receptions go up much this year.  I dare say that Love looks at the RB's more than than Deguara.  And he certainly is looking for Doubs whenever he can.  Watson has more or less been ignored this pre-season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My takeaways?

Clifford is the real deal.  And it may not be just because every other QB we've played in pre-season after Love leaves has been a UDFA.  The kid has an arm, legs and huge boulders between the legs.  Short memory, too.

We are proving, again, that you need not draft RB's high to find good ones.

Tom is starting somewhere on the line.  Walker looks the part of a LT.

Van Ness looks very, uh, meh so far.  No burst, no real displays of power.  Just a lot of effort so far.

Steal of the draft is the 7'th rounder at corner.  Valentine.  Finally got burned last game by Boutte.  It was A Boutte Time.  (sorry, not sorry)

Our kicker has a huge leg.  Meh on accuracy, but still, a huge leg.

Jordan Love does in fact love Doubs.  Jordan has made every throw you would expect him to make and then some.

Musgrave is even bigger and faster than advertised.  And he has really soft hands.  He's a weapon.

Wyatt does look much better in year 2.  Slaton looks improved as well.

Those mid round kids we took, Wooden and Brooks?  They both can play.  I like Brooks a little better, he just seems like a larger guy, but both can play.

Overall, we are much bigger, faster, stronger and looser than prior years.

My complaints are this, and they are minimal.  Backup ILB.  We lack depth there, oh well.  Safeties.  No one has stood out, yet.  The 7'th rounder flashed in this past game.  But it is a pretty meh safety group.  Backup guard isn't the best either.  We are probably just fine, but I think they can upgrade from Newman, Rhyan appears to be better this year.

Yeah, I just don't see "it" with Van Ness. Could be Dean Lowery 2.0. I hope I'm wrong, but if the light doesn't come on by the end of the season, he may come back in 2024 as a DLineman. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Love looks at Musgrave a lot.  And MLF is going to feature him a lot.  He's a matchup nightmare.  He is fast, he is long and he has very good hands.  Telling yah, that kid is LEGIT.

Degaura is not.  He's an H-back.  I don't feel like his receptions go up much this year.  I dare say that Love looks at the RB's more than than Deguara.  And he certainly is looking for Doubs whenever he can.  Watson has more or less been ignored this pre-season.

Honestly don't know why Deguara is still on the roster. Too small, too slow, not a lot of football savvy. I'd rather keep a true FB like Pearson and pick up another true TE.