Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I could see there being a performance based short extension. That could work well for both sides. 

Absolutely no reason for him to even consider that.  He'd be better off playing out the remainder on this contract, and forcing the Packers to use their franchise tag on him in 2025.  At this point, he's not going to get any cheaper.  If he plays poorly the rest of this year or the start of next year, the Packers probably aren't going to be inclined to pay him.  If he plays well, he's going to get more expensive.  The Daniel Jones comparison is interesting, and while I think it's a solid baseline I think the biggest issue with that comparison is that the Giants were backed into a corner where they couldn't afford to lose Daniel Jones or Saquon Barkley.  So I think they sacrificed years for a higher AAV.  Don't get me wrong, Love's agent should absolutely use Daniel Jones' contract as a benchmark.  Going back to Aaron Rodgers' initial contract extension with Green Bay, the Packers used ~15% of his total money was in the form of a signing bonus and roughly a third of it was GTD. Figure his AAV will be roughly 20% of the 20224 projected salary cap, and you're looking at roughly an AAV of $48.4M which would make him the 6th highest paid QB.  Figure a ~6 year extension and you're going to get roughly $290M with $29M in the form of a signing bonus.  You'll be able to prorate the signing bonus over the first 5 years, and that deal might end up looking like a bargain in a few years.  Threw a little spreadsheet together as a mock contract.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIlb7pa7OMb4lMYDyG_202oXdZFETs7Ra5aK7id4uFM/edit#gid=0

It's effectively $291M in new money.  Technically speaking, it's only $54M in GTD money it's more effectively that's $117.5M in effective guarantees.  That '25 option/roster bonus needs to be exercised by the 3rd day of the league year.  It creates a cash flow of $40M in 2024 (T-5th) and $59M (2nd) in 2025.  It'd also create protection for Green Bay.  2024 would effectively be a make it-or-break it kind of season for Love.  They'd incur a ton of dead cap if Love falters, but they're not on the hook for a ton of money beyond that year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Correct.  But from the team perspective,  that cap hit limits what you can do in building around it.  

in the grand scheme of things, if the goal is to be competitive every year... it doesn't kill you to do the short term deals at that price. just makes super bowl very unlikely.

the advantage to pushing money into future is that the cap is growing, which is legitimate. but you have to be sure thats the guy. 

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Liked what I saw today from Love.  Doing it with a variety of backup WRs and TEs.  Big game next week vs Minn, hopefully we can get some people back off injury.  Nice game for Love.

Seriously. Watson, Reed, Wicks, Musgrave....who else was hurt today? 

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

For all the good, he does need to get the unnecessary off-balance throws worked out.  He's making off platform throws way more often than he needs to.

Can’t wait to see him next year after he worked all offseason on it. 

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

For all the good, he does need to get the unnecessary off-balance throws worked out.  He's making off platform throws way more often than he needs to.

This might be the #1 reason for not giving him a new deal this off-season.  He's got some mechanical things that need to be corrected and the Packers might want to see another off-season and training camp from him before committing big dough.