Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Food for thought:

MLF told Love to go get the TD. We weren't playing for another Anders FG attempt. 

If that's the case, that's an extra 30 yards Love needed and it would have forced the issue a lot more than playing for a FG 

So I'll ask everyone (who were ****ting on Carlson as well)

Should MLF have been playing for the win or the FG attempt?

IMO, you run your two-minute offense and let see where that gets you. I don't think you can, "play," for either given we were down by 3. 

Jordan Love lost his confidence with Zach Tom went out. I think that his how big of a difference there is between Tom and Nijman. When we gave Nijman help, that is tiling the field in the defensive secondary's way. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIlb7pa7OMb4lMYDyG_202oXdZFETs7Ra5aK7id4uFM/edit#gid=0

There's my proposal at a Jordan Love extension.  That $48.5M/year AAV would have him as the 6th highest paid QB (5th once Russell Wilson is released).  In terms of actual cash flow, Jordan Love goes from making $11M to $40M this upcoming year and $99M in the first 2 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Was there a option shirt on that last INT?  felt like all verticals with no underneath/ crosser.  Jones was in protecting and got caught in no mans land thought about trying to block the defender chasing Love, but didn't while not releasing out for a dump off pass with open field ahead

There was a TE running a short route but he was all the way on the left sideline so it wasn’t really an option with Love escaping right.  

Jones staying in to block was 100% because of Tom being out. If he could have leaked out there and Love hit him this time he would have had an easy 15.  Would Love have still thrown the idiot pass?  We’ll never know. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIlb7pa7OMb4lMYDyG_202oXdZFETs7Ra5aK7id4uFM/edit#gid=0

There's my proposal at a Jordan Love extension.  That $48.5M/year AAV would have him as the 6th highest paid QB (5th once Russell Wilson is released).  In terms of actual cash flow, Jordan Love goes from making $11M to $40M this upcoming year and $99M in the first 2 seasons.

My dream of 10 for 400 is out the window. 😭

Would have given us a ton of cap flexibility for 5-6 years. 

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We avoided the MOF all game, so it would have been a surprise move in that situation. But we avoided it for a reason. SF is GOOD there.

For sure, but if they were playing off a bit more in the 2 minute, I think they could have thrown underneath to try for some YAC 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Love got rattled towards the end. Not sure why (outside of game pressure and inexperience) - but I'd guess that having 73 getting meaningful snaps didnt help - but he was missing throws that he should have made.

**** happens.

It happened last night.

Another Playoff head scratcher for the Archive of Playoff head scratchers.

We're the kings of the playoff choke job .. not sure why, but we have as many or more ridiculous playoff losses than any other team out there in recent history.  The more playoff games you play the more chance of it happening, but there have been too many that we have flat out blown.  The arrow is pointing up for us again, so we should be seeing a lot more playoff action in the coming years.  One of these days we'll get back to the Super Bowl again, unless we keep choking in big games.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I mean Josh Allen still does it. 

It's disappointing for sure. We've come to have really really REALLY high expectations for Jordan Love in year 1 already. 

Testament to how good he is and how good we have it!

I’m more annoyed with Carlson and the defense because with them it’s much more of a trend. 

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

I’m more annoyed with Carlson and the defense because with them it’s much more of a trend. 

It's definitely a trend that Joe Barry playoff defenses show up. And they did against SF. They got the ball back for our offense on so many critical moments. 

Carlson is a rookie, too, and should be given the same patience as any other rookie IMO. He has franchise kicker potential. Plus, that whole unit was sloppy. I think everything was clean on his miss, but that entire process lacked consistency which makes life even harder on a rookie kicker.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's definitely a trend that Joe Barry playoff defenses show up. And they did against SF. They got the ball back for our offense on so many critical moments. 

Carlson is a rookie, too, and should be given the same patience as any other rookie IMO. He has franchise kicker potential. Plus, that whole unit was sloppy. I think everything was clean on his miss, but that entire process lacked consistency which makes life even harder on a rookie kicker.

Yeah they did get the ball back a lot, but at the same time a lot of it was Purdy just missing guys. We didn’t get a lot of pressure on him. And then when it really mattered we got prevented down the field for an easy touchdown. I’ve been saying playoff Barry for a few weeks now but we can never get a stop to end a game. However, there’s no guarantee a new DC is better than Barry in the playoffs, as his defenses have been good enough to win every playoff game he’s been in.

Carlson yes is a rookie and gets slack, I’m not saying cut him just frustrated.

Love was fine other than 3 throws. INT off Kraft, missed dump off to Jones and the last one. 

Overall that’s the best by far our offense has looked against the 49ers in the playoffs in 10 years, so I’m not that negative about that side of the ball.

• Like 2

Far be it from me to rush to Barry’s defense, but one thing I haven’t heard mentioned was the defense was probably pretty gassed at the end there. We were coming off 6 days rest and SF had 2 weeks.  Maybe helped us get an edge early and probably cost us late.  

8 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Far be it from me to rush to Barry’s defense, but one thing I haven’t heard mentioned was the defense was probably pretty gassed at the end there. We were coming off 6 days rest and SF had 2 weeks.  Maybe helped us get an edge early and probably cost us late.  

Missing a key EDGE rotational guy factored in too I think.

40 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Yeah they did get the ball back a lot, but at the same time a lot of it was Purdy just missing guys. We didn’t get a lot of pressure on him. And then when it really mattered we got prevented down the field for an easy touchdown. I’ve been saying playoff Barry for a few weeks now but we can never get a stop to end a game. However, there’s no guarantee a new DC is better than Barry in the playoffs, as his defenses have been good enough to win every playoff game he’s been in.

Carlson yes is a rookie and gets slack, I’m not saying cut him just frustrated.

Love was fine other than 3 throws. INT off Kraft, missed dump off to Jones and the last one. 

Overall that’s the best by far our offense has looked against the 49ers in the playoffs in 10 years, so I’m not that negative about that side of the ball.

That last drive for San Fran was infuriating.  Could we make it any easier for them?  Seems to me this is where a DC dials up his best stuff and tries to come up with a big play or two.  Not Joe Barry .. passive as the day is long.  Move on!

Barry dont know how to teach guys catch the ball and draw a nice blitz

Except those 2 he is good. If we can help him by bringing in veteran like dom capers as defensive assistant, I am fine with rolling with him for another season.

But without above 2, we are not winning a SB for sure. 

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That last drive for San Fran was infuriating.  Could we make it any easier for them?  Seems to me this is where a DC dials up his best stuff and tries to come up with a big play or two.  Not Joe Barry .. passive as the day is long.  Move on!

We all knew before the game that SF shreds the blitz. We knew we'd have to get pressure with 4. 

Our pass rush was totally gassed unfortunately. Hard spot to be in. 

Aiyuk made a helluva catch on 3rd. Preston gave up the edge on a Purdy scramble (he looked old and gassed there).

Purdy made the nice out route throw to Conley who turned the DB around (not sure which 'Tine it was). 

I guess I didn't see any egregiously bad defensive calls on that drive. Just a number of times where Niners made individual plays and we didn't.