2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's a decent spot to be in before you start looking at signings for depth. You can get rid of Cooper and add another $5 million to your pocket and go after a Bashaud Breeland at corner. Get rid of Wheaton for another $5 million and you can sign Albert Wilson.

Watkins
Meredith
Wilson
White

That's a solid top 4 in my football world.

Add in Cohen to at least a situational role and Shaheen and pass game looms damn good, especially with Tru and Cohen in the backfield. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Got to go for Robinson over Watkins...Robinson is a true #1.

Is he though? He had one great season in 2015 by was underwhelming in 2016 before being hurt last year. He’s certainly a potential #1, but no more or less a given than Watkins IMO.

QLaaK86.jpg

Compare his career with that of Watkins over the same span. Watkins’ 2015 was equally incredible. 1047 yards and 9 TD on 96 targets? That’s INSANE. The overalls are pretty similar in terms of targets and production from those targets. 

huEWbOT.jpg

I prefer Watkins personally, for all of the things G08 set forth. I’ll be thrilled if we land either though. 

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Is he though? He had one great season in 2015 by was underwhelming in 2016 before being hurt last year. He’s certainly a potential #1, but no more or less a given than Watkins IMO.

QLaaK86.jpg

Compare his career with that of Watkins over the same span. Watkins’ 2015 was equally incredible. 1047 yards and 9 TD on 96 targets? That’s INSANE. The overalls are pretty similar in terms of targets and production from those targets. 

huEWbOT.jpg

I prefer Watkins personally, for all of the things G08 set forth. I’ll be thrilled if we land either though. 

I would much rather take Taylor or Goff throwing me the ball than Blake.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would much rather take Taylor or Goff throwing me the ball than Blake.

I do not disagree re: Goff but to me Blake and Tyrod is a virtual push. In his one season with Goff, Watkins was acquired in mid-August after most of TC and the whole offseason which put him at a disadvantage IMO in his scope of knowledge of the offense for a noteworthy portion of the season.

Re: Robinson I remember distinctly Bortles putting up big numbers in 2015 (b/c he was my FFB QB) when games were totally out of reach with them being crushed most weeks. Bortles carried me to a fantasy football title that here on the back of a bunch of meaningless late yards and touchdowns. I’d be curious to see what of Robinson’s huge production in 2015 came then. Robinson also arguably benefitted from a better surrounding receiver group in his time in Jacksonville (Hurns, Shorts, Lee) than Watkins did in Buffalo (pre-2017 Robert Woods). 

Again though - give me EITHER guy. Both are high upside young potential stars who will be huge boosts to our WR core. I just prefer Watkins if given the choice. 

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

I am not going to spilt hairs.  Either one will do

I mean.... I'm much more of the mind to fix other positions via FA and draft our receiving targets.... BUT....

We have the money and Meredith is better from the slot anyhow.... couldn't we just, you know..... get both Watkins and Robinson?

Carry 6-7 WRs next season and you could have

Meredith

White (until he goes on IR)

Watkins

Robinson

Draft pick  (CHARK-WR is my guy)

Draft pick (I like Gesicki-"TE" who's athletic enough to be a giant WR)

And the hypothetical 7th would be Wilson-WR from FA if we really wanted to break the bank (via tripling down on FA WR), or Kendall Wright from our current roster.

That completely removes every WR we had who sucked from last season, gives us solid starters this year, and some long shot upside on White/Watkins and some stud depth from the draft who are under absolutely no pressure year 1.

I'd also add, with that kind of depth, we could REALLY push a downfield route constantly and then swap people out so they don't gas.

2 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I am not going to spilt hairs.  Either one will do

Agreed. I'd be happy with either. Both guys would easily become the best WR on this roster and I say this being a big Cam Meredith supporter.

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

While I don't disagree, you sure this isn't your inner Penn State bias speaking there Mike? xD

No man after everything that went down I have switched my college team to Virginia Tech...altho I will admit I still keep an eye out for States results.

Did JAX use either tag at all? It’s really strange, because I would have no problem giving Robinson 14-15 a year for 3-4 years.

We could realistically sign fuller to a long term deal, give Robinson 14-15 and Watkins 12-13, and not be in cap trouble.

I’m dreaming, but I would be thrilled if it happened. Someone would probably trade Miami a 3rd for Landry then.

Archived