tre'davious white in concussion protocol

GSUeagles14

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

The main difference is that i'm 5'10" 150 lb.  If i were Gronk's size, i probably would have seriously injured him.  I blocked him out running about 1/2 to 3/4 speed.

Anyway, i'm not minimizing.  I'm only trying to suggest that i understand what was going through Gronk's head.  Doesn't make it right.  But i understand it.

I think we all understand getting angry and wanting to get even. What most of us don't understand and don't accept is doing it in that manner.

If you were Gronk's size, my bet is that you wouldn't do it the way you did because you'd be well aware of the dangers that your size and strength pose. Just like how you didn't try to end the guy's life or career by doing something more dangerous or egregious at your actual size.

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

The main difference is that i'm 5'10" 150 lb.  If i were Gronk's size, i probably would have seriously injured him.  I blocked him out running about 1/2 to 3/4 speed.

Anyway, i'm not minimizing.  I'm only trying to suggest that i understand what was going through Gronk's head.  Doesn't make it right.  But i understand it.

Just because you understand through your experiences does it understandable for the rest of us. Because we have all been frustrated and felt like someone was against you but we don’t go to those lengths. There are extremes and this was one of them. I understand taking your frustration out on somebody which isn’t right in anyway but certain things are just no go.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Right and understandable are often connected, even if not 100% connected. If some guy told you that he beat his wife because she spilled wine on his favorite shirt, you wouldn't say, "Oh, that's understandable because I get angry when that happens too."

I get what you (and others) are saying.  How can i say this in a way that gets the point across, without sounding like i care all that much?  Because this is getting in semantics, and i have better things to do with my time (and i'm sure you do too).

Put it this way.  By my saying (and @lancerman saying) i understand what was going on in Gronk's head, i'm not trying to justify it as a right action.  I'm just saying i understand why players fly off the handle like that.  It's messed up, but it happens.

I'm intentionally shying away from the word "understandable" (i don't think i used it anyway), because that word seems to be closer to "right" than saying "i understand".  I don't want to give that impression.

Also, in your example, that guy clearly has an intent to injure that i don't think Gronk had.  Again i think he meant to send a message and probably make it hurt, but not injure.  

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think we all understand getting angry and wanting to get even. What most of us don't understand and don't accept is doing it in that manner.

If you were Gronk's size, my bet is that you wouldn't do it the way you did because you'd be well aware of the dangers that your size and strength pose. Just like how you didn't try to end the guy's life or career by doing something more dangerous or egregious at your actual size.

I can see that.  We are all wired differently.  

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I get what you (and others) are saying.  How can i say this in a way that gets the point across, without sounding like i care all that much?  Because this is getting in semantics, and i have better things to do with my time (and i'm sure you do too).

Put it this way.  By my saying (and @lancerman saying) i understand what was going on in Gronk's head, i'm not trying to justify it as a right action.  I'm just saying i understand why players fly off the handle like that.  It's messed up, but it happens.

I'm intentionally shying away from the word "understandable" (i don't think i used it anyway), because that word seems to be closer to "right" than saying "i understand".  I don't want to give that impression.

Also, in your example, that guy clearly has an intent to injure that i don't think Gronk had.  Again i think he meant to send a message and probably make it hurt, but not injure.  

Let's be honest, J, Gronk had an intent to hurt White. You had an intent to hurt the other guy. Maybe you didn't want to hurt him badly, but your anger made you want to hurt him. That's why you did what you did. You saw hurting the guy as a means of getting him to back off. Maybe Gronk didn't want to seriously injure White, but there was absolutely malicious intent there. He intended to hurt the guy. I don't think there's much of a line between that and an intent to injure, at least not one that's all that clear.

And to address a point you made in WAYTA, you're right that the force wasn't that different from a normal play. The difference here is that White is more vulnerable than he would be on a normal play. Gronk could have ended that kid's career based on how White was positioned. He was in a position that made his neck extremely vulnerable to a shot like that, and he had no way of protecting himself. Let's be glad that didn't happen. If it did, I think people would be justified in demanding Gronk never be allowed to play again (but it obviously didn't happen).

All of these guys trying to paint grey areas to fit their narrative, point being, there has to be some point where you have to exhibit some sort of self-control, let the officials/league do what they get paid to do, Not go all thug life....

100% selfish, me first move

Gronk seems like a fun, cool guy.

What he did yesterday...wasn't cool.  Or OK.   Guys are given reasons all the time to overreact or act out of frustration.  Seldom does anyone go to that extent.  That's all that really needs be said.

Honestly, it's not like we need to crucify the guy as a person.  He made a horrible mistake.  It happens.  But he should definitely pay the price and lose 1-2 games.   And yes, the injury severity is a slippery slope to go - but White being defenseless, and this being completely after the play was dead...no-brainer.  Without knowing the impact on White, that's a 1-2 game suspension, given the circumstances.  

We don't have to paint Gronk as an evil person - but that was an evil act.   It happens.  The consequences should be there.  Doesn't mean we have to change the overall opinion of the guy...but we can condemn and punish the act appropriately.

7 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Dirty play by Gronk, completely unnecessary. Think he'll get multiple games for this. 

I would say one before.  White's in the concussion protocol?  My guess is 2-4 games, similar to what Albert Haynesworth got back in the day for the stomp. 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Just because you understand through your experiences does it understandable for the rest of us. Because we have all been frustrated and felt like someone was against you but we don’t go to those lengths. There are extremes and this was one of them. I understand taking your frustration out on somebody which isn’t right in anyway but certain things are just no go.

You were defending Trevathon. Are you climbing into Gronk for this? 

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1 game suspension and fine. He's not the brightest bulb, is he, but he hasn't got a history of any dirty behaviour (on the field...). 

he doesnt really have any poor behavior off the field either if im not forgetting anything. i think he plays into this persona thats out there about him, i mean, he said he rarely drinks in season and out of season maybe twice a week. Id say thats pretty much the norm for guys in there mid/late 20's, early 30's that dont have families. he seems like a good guy in all hhonestly.

But this was way past the line, white getting out with "just" a concussion is incredibly fortunate. 270ish pounds driving into your back/neck could lead to some life long issues, then what?

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Gronk seems like a fun, cool guy.

What he did yesterday...wasn't cool.  Or OK.   Guys are given reasons all the time to overreact or act out of frustration.  Seldom does anyone go to that extent.  That's all that really needs be said.

Honestly, it's not like we need to crucify the guy as a person.  He made a horrible mistake.  It happens.  But he should definitely pay the price and lose 1-2 games.   And yes, the injury severity is a slippery slope to go - but White being defenseless, and this being completely after the play was dead...no-brainer.  Without knowing the impact on White, that's a 1-2 game suspension, given the circumstances.  

We don't have to paint Gronk as an evil person - but that was an evil act.   It happens.  The consequences should be there.  Doesn't mean we have to change the overall opinion of the guy...but we can condemn and punish the act appropriately.

Pretty much this ^

Archived