2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

QB: Love / Clifford [2/2]
RB: Jones / Dillon / Taylor [3/5]
TE: Musgrave / Kraft / Degura / Allen [4/9]
WR: Watson / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Toure / Heath [6/15]
OL: Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Runyan / Tom / Njiman / Walker / Rhyan / Jones [9/24]
Offense: 24

DL: Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Brooks / Wooden [6/30]
ILB: Campbell / Walker / McDuffie / Wilson [4/34]
EDGE: Gary / Smith / LVN / Enagabare / Hollins / Cox [6/40]
CB: Alexander / Douglas / Nixon / Valentine / Balentine [5/45]
S: Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Owens / Moore [5/50]
Defense: 26

K: Carlson
P: Whelan
LS: Orzech
Special Teams: 3

48/53 isn't bad by any means, although I'd like to give myself credit for Orzech since it's a simple roster maneuver  to ensure that they didn't have to expose Tenuta to waivers.  Wilson over Taylor was mildly surprising given LaFleur's comments, but that feels like a Gute-backed choice.  Keeping Royce Newman simply seems like a numbers choice.  On the other hand, only having 4 corners seems like a bit of a risky proposition unless they plan on waiver claims and/or roster callups until Stokes is ready.  Moore was an injury, and I think the Packers preferred not exposing Anthony Johnson to waivers.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

48/53 isn't bad by any means, although I'd like to give myself credit for Orzech since it's a simple roster maneuver  to ensure that they didn't have to expose Tenuta to waivers.  Wilson over Taylor was mildly surprising given LaFleur's comments, but that feels like a Gute-backed choice.  Keeping Royce Newman simply seems like a numbers choice.  On the other hand, only having 4 corners seems like a bit of a risky proposition unless they plan on waiver claims and/or roster callups until Stokes is ready.  Moore was an injury, and I think the Packers preferred not exposing Anthony Johnson to waivers.

Ok, Smartypants, good job! Now who's coming back to the PS?

3 hours ago, GB Scott said:

I think this was the easiest roster to pick that I have seen.  The only surprise was Luke Tenuta.  

Agree, it was very chalky this year. If you go back and look at people's projections from two and three weeks ago you will see most people had 47-48 of the players selected at that time. Bases off of last season Tenuta shouldn't have been much of a surprise. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Ok, Smartypants, good job! Now who's coming back to the PS?

Choose your guys from the cuts.  McGough seems like a lock.  I think once they're allowed to Lew Nichols will be added.  I'd probably anticipate Austin Allen, Grant DuBose, and Corey Ballentine are probably headed there assuming none of them get claimed.

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Choose your guys from the cuts.  McGough seems like a lock.  I think once they're allowed to Lew Nichols will be added.  I'd probably anticipate Austin Allen, Grant DuBose, and Corey Ballentine are probably headed there assuming none of them get claimed.

Lew Nichols over Patrick Taylor? Why? Did Nichols show anything before he was hurt? Taylor is at least a good special teamer. And what about Goodson? They seemed to be giving him a bigger role in the offense before he got hurt, and he's most like Jones, if Jones is sidelined for a stretch. I'm just curious what you think. I would predict they sign Taylor, and later Goodson when he's eligible. 

I love Gute's unmixed consistency in going with young players and going for the rebuild.  

I'm assuming at least Tenuta and Wicks will go to injured list tomorrow.  I'm not aware of anybody else who needs to, but what do I know?  Are we assuming that Campbell should be fine by opener?  

Besides punter, I wonder who the other guy will be?  Taylor and Ballentine seem the most likely guesses to me.  

Any better guesses from smarter posters?  

Will be interesting how they handle PS.  Will that involve a big commitment to veteran ST guys, of the Taylor/Ballentine type profile?  Or will Gute largely commit PS to all young upside guys who have the possibility of becoming more than STers someday?  

Having 22 draft picks from 22/23 drafts is something, plus the un-drafted guys.  Drafting/keeping volume is one thing, actually getting value is obviously something different.  But I think it's really cool to have early returns looking so good.  Really Nichols and Carpenter seem like the only two of the 24 guys picked who have looked bad.  Seems like the other 22 draftees, looking back I don't really see any reason to regret any of them.  

7 hours ago, craig said:

Will be interesting how they handle PS.  Will that involve a big commitment to veteran ST guys, of the Taylor/Ballentine type profile?  Or will Gute largely commit PS to all young upside guys who have the possibility of becoming more than STers someday?  

Having 22 draft picks from 22/23 drafts is something, plus the un-drafted guys.  Drafting/keeping volume is one thing, actually getting value is obviously something different.  But I think it's really cool to have early returns looking so good.  Really Nichols and Carpenter seem like the only two of the 24 guys picked who have looked bad.  Seems like the other 22 draftees, looking back I don't really see any reason to regret any of them.  

Nichols was hurt most of camp, no? Carpenter is a core special teams' guy who really doesn't fit a position. Give him a year to see if he can learn the LB position before we lock him in as special teams only. Today, that looks like his career path in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Nichols was hurt most of camp, no? Carpenter is a core special teams' guy who really doesn't fit a position. Give him a year to see if he can learn the LB position before we lock him in as special teams only. Today, that looks like his career path in the NFL. 

Sure, no disrespect to ST-only guys, and in a D+D world, sometimes guys emerge.  My perspective is just that when you draft 24 guys over two years, 10 of them 6th and 7th rounders, it's really fantastic when 22 out of 24 guys already look good and have gotten a bunch of favorable observations. 

That Nichols and Carpenter haven't gotten any favorable observations yet (from scrimmage) doesn't mean they might not in future.  

Not sure how early Nichols was hurt.  I just recall one of the only mentioned of him was a negative, a practice report before he got hurt with him dropping a pass "again", with comment that dropping passes had been a recurring problem for him.  

49 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I love the talent on this young team. It should be a wild ride this year. I think we win more than the pundits are predicting, but no doubt we are going to have a few WFT games. Just not against the Bears. 

Can't wait for next Sunday! 

I believe they are called the Commanders now. 

• Like 3