2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your 8th/9th/10th string OL isn't going to be active on gameday.

Don't believe you meant to use this word and my response is based on that. 

Don't you have to have 8 offensive linemen active on gameday now? I thought that was a rule. 

New CBA rule: Starting this season, game-day active rosters, which used to be limited to 46 players per team, can include up to 48 players, provided that at least eight of those 48 are offensive linemen. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Don't believe you meant to use this word and my response is based on that. 

Don't you have to have 8 offensive linemen active on gameday now? I thought that was a rule. 

New CBA rule: Starting this season, game-day active rosters, which used to be limited to 46 players per team, can include up to 48 players, provided that at least eight of those 48 are offensive linemen. 

Choose what ever choice of words you want.  It's a numbers' game.  Right now, you're guaranteed to have your starting 5 OL (Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, and Tom).  You're going to have a backup C (Hanson), and your swing tackle (Walker) as your top 7, so you've got room for 1 more OL when you're deciding on your gameday 53.  Who has more in-game value, Yosh Njiman or Caleb Jones?  The answer is very easily Njiman.

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

...New CBA rule: Starting this season, game-day active rosters, which used to be limited to 46 players per team, can include up to 48 players, provided that at least eight of those 48 are offensive linemen. 

Thanks for that note, OG.  I hadn't realized that rule.  In past I often figured 7 OL was good in days past.  Having it locked in for 8 OL will be different.  I like the rule, and the expanded game-day.  

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Choose what ever choice of words you want.  It's a numbers' game.  Right now, you're guaranteed to have your starting 5 OL (Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, and Tom).  You're going to have a backup C (Hanson), and your swing tackle (Walker) as your top 7, so you've got room for 1 more OL when you're deciding on your gameday 53.  Who has more in-game value, Yosh Njiman or Caleb Jones?  The answer is very easily Njiman.

Wasn't Hanson waived injured?

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

????? WE let him go earlier this week. I think were was another poster who opined that Runyan would slide in to center based on the reps he was getting at center this preseason. Not ideal but I get your point. 

My only point was we'd have 8 o-linemen active on gameday. 

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If it came to that, I think Tom, and then put Nijman in at the regular tackle spot.  

Yeah, that's a fun question.  Nijman can really run, interesting movement guy.  Jones is massive; interesting to imagine him as the outside guy.  

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

...You're going to have a backup C (Hanson), and your swing tackle (Walker) as your top 7, so you've got room for 1 more OL when you're deciding on your gameday 53.  Who has more in-game value, Yosh Njiman or Caleb Jones?  The answer is very easily Njiman.

Hanson's already been injured-released, so there won't be a center.  Runyan or Tom will be in-game emergency Center replacement for Myers.  (By the following Sunday, they'd add somebody else, but for the remainder of that game it's Runyan/Tom.)

I assume it's Rhyan, Walker, and Nijman for the game-day backups.  No idea which of those MLF would use as in-line blocker for power sets.  Nijman really has wheels, so *IF* they want movement blocking, he might be good?  Rhyan is built with the anchor for pad-level, so maybe he might be good as a 6th-guy for short-yardage?  

*If* Jones makes roster, I assume he's an inactive guy being kept for 2024 and beyond.  Which is just fine by me.  At least, until one of the 8 guys ahead of him now gets hurt.  

TE, I'd just roll with what we've got, let Musgrave and Kraft develop, and take the good with the bad.  The TE's who get waived aren't going to be that great, have much long-term upside, or be insta-ready anyway, since they don't know our schemes in all of their complexity.  So MLF should just run plays that work with the guys we've got.  And if we don't play lots of 2-TE sets, the offense is probably better without them anyway.  

Center, whatever.  Waived centers aren't that great.  If Gute likes one, I trust him.  But if they figure that Tom and Runyan and Empey are fine, I'm good with that.  

Safety, perhaps a waived safety could be better than our last safety.  

19 minutes ago, craig said:

TE, I'd just roll with what we've got, let Musgrave and Kraft develop, and take the good with the bad.  The TE's who get waived aren't going to be that great, have much long-term upside, or be insta-ready anyway, since they don't know our schemes in all of their complexity.  So MLF should just run plays that work with the guys we've got.  And if we don't play lots of 2-TE sets, the offense is probably better without them anyway.  

Center, whatever.  Waived centers aren't that great.  If Gute likes one, I trust him.  But if they figure that Tom and Runyan and Empey are fine, I'm good with that.  

A team like the 9ers who run a similar system could likely cut their bottom 2 TEs (Fumagali and Woernor). Theoretically they would not take as long to fit in once they learn the terminology. I don’t know how many WR they keep but they need to have some depth at other positions. 3 TE with 2 rookies is pretty thin. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

????? WE let him go earlier this week. I think were was another poster who opined that Runyan would slide in to center based on the reps he was getting at center this preseason. Not ideal but I get your point. 

My only point was we'd have 8 o-linemen active on gameday. 

I honestly overlooked the Hanson injury release.  I think it ultimately depends on what they would do if Myers were to get injured.  If Runyan slides into the C position, than you're probably carrying an OG at OL8.  Not another OT-only since neither Njiman or Walker are OGs.  Rhyan probably gets the nod as OL8.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I honestly overlooked the Hanson injury release.  I think it ultimately depends on what they would do if Myers were to get injured.  If Runyan slides into the C position, than you're probably carrying an OG at OL8.  Not another OT-only since neither Njiman or Walker are OGs.  Rhyan probably gets the nod as OL8.

If anything, without a true C/G in reserve and one of your backup C's being a starting T, you probably want two backup Tackles in the event you have to shuffle the interior. At least that way you can withstand transferring someone like Tom to C and still have a #3 guy to backup both edges.

This is assuming of course that Tom is the preferred option as the #2 C, as I would personally prefer having Nij or Walker step in as a T than Rhyan or even Newman as a G.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

TE, I'd just roll with what we've got…the TE's who get waived aren't going to be that great…

Center, whatever…

I heard it suggested that the Arizona Cardinals are having a fire sale and Buddha Baker isn’t happy.

Gute has reason to like (not trade away) his draft picks, and we weren’t supposed to be in contention for anything THIS season, but surely it would be fun to yell BUDDHA a few times every game.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

QB: Love / Clifford [2/2]
RB: Jones / Dillon / Taylor [3/5]
TE: Musgrave / Kraft / Degura  [3/8]
WR: Watson / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Toure / Heath [6/14]
OL: Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Runyan / Tom / Nijman / Walker / Rhyan / Newman [9/23]
Offense: 23

DL: Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Brooks / Wooden [6/29]
ILB: Campbell / Walker / McDuffie / Wilson / Carpenter [5/34]
EDGE: Gary / Smith / LVN / Enagabare / Hollins / Cox [6/40]
CB: Alexander / Douglas / Nixon / Valentine / SJC [5/45]
S: Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Owens / AJJ [5/50]
Defense: 27

K: Carlson
P: O'Donnell
LS: Orzech
Special Teams: 3

I dunno, I just threw something together based on CWoods earlier one. Is it crazy to go only 23 on O?  Maybe. Seems like a lot of the ST aces are technically on defense, so it’s a bit deceptive. Really not sure what they are gonna do at safety, I think either Moore or Owens will be gone, but I think AJJ has shown enough and Gute loves his picks. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Rhyan, Nijman, and Walker, you've got everything covered.  Rhyan covers the guards, Walker/Nijman cover the tackles.  If Myers gets hurt, either Rhyan plays with Runyan switch.  Or Tom switches, and one of the tackles comes in.  

So long as the continency centers aren't awful, I think those three give pretty injury-coverage. 

• Like 1