2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

QB: Love / Clifford [2/2]
RB: Jones / Dillon / Taylor [3/5]
TE: Musgrave / Kraft / Degura / TBD [4/9]
WR: Watson / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Toure / Heath [6/15]
OL: Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Runyan / Tom / Njiman / Walker / Rhyan / Hanson [9/24]
Offense: 24

DL: Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Brooks / Wooden [6/30]
ILB: Campbell / Walker / McDuffie / Wilson [4/34]
EDGE: Gary / Smith / LVN / Enagabare / Hollins / Cox [6/40]
CB: Alexander / Douglas / Nixon / Valentine / Thomas [5/45]
S: Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Owens / Moore [5/50]
Defense: 26

K: Carlson
P: O'Donnell
LS: Orzech
Special Teams: 3

That's what I have so far.  Nothing crazy on offense.  Think Toure and Heat might be competing for the same spot, especially if Gute wins out and wants to protect DuBose.  But I don't think he's any real risk to be claimed.  On the OL, Hanson gets the nod with his ability to play center and Myers' struggles this year.  I think the Packers would like to keep Caleb Jones for another year, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Defensively, I think you're going to see Rich's guys make it in the last few spots in a position room.  I think he ends up with 3-4 guys that he will add to the roster. 

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

QB: Love / Clifford [2/2]
RB: Jones / Dillon / Taylor [3/5]
TE: Musgrave / Kraft / Degura / TBD [4/9]
WR: Watson / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Toure / Heath [6/15]
OL: Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Runyan / Tom / Njiman / Walker / Rhyan / Hanson [9/24]
Offense: 24

DL: Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Brooks / Wooden [6/30]
ILB: Campbell / Walker / McDuffie / Wilson [4/34]
EDGE: Gary / Smith / LVN / Enagabare / Hollins / Cox [6/40]
CB: Alexander / Douglas / Nixon / Valentine / Thomas [5/45]
S: Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Owens / Moore [5/50]
Defense: 26

K: Carlson
P: O'Donnell
LS: Orzech
Special Teams: 3

That's what I have so far.  Nothing crazy on offense.  Think Toure and Heat might be competing for the same spot, especially if Gute wins out and wants to protect DuBose.  But I don't think he's any real risk to be claimed.  On the OL, Hanson gets the nod with his ability to play center and Myers' struggles this year.  I think the Packers would like to keep Caleb Jones for another year, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Defensively, I think you're going to see Rich's guys make it in the last few spots in a position room.  I think he ends up with 3-4 guys that he will add to the roster. 

Only one I don't like is Hanson, but I get why you did it. Would rather have Jones than Hanson. 

Also, I would think Hanson would make it to the practice squad. Jones may look at the tackle depth in front of him and decide to join another practice squad. If I'm his agent that is what I'd tell him to do. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Hanson waived/injured. Wonder who the #2 C becomes. I suppose Tom with Yosh moving to RT in that event.  

We should probably be taking a better look at Empey and Schneider. I've given them no chance, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if the Packers like what they have in one of them. 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Hanson waived/injured. Wonder who the #2 C becomes. I suppose Tom with Yosh moving to RT in that event.  

Runyan has been working there I think.  Jenkins has experience.  Tom as well. Options are available + possible cut-downs upcoming

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Probably right in one. JRJ implies someone really took a major jump at Guard, and does that really sound like Newman or Rhyan right now?

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Are you referring to Nijman? Runyan said a guard made a big jump. Not sure how that involves Nijman? The guard he was alluding to was Rhyan is my guess. 

Yeah it's Apples to Oranges, but the backup option involving center is either Bak/Jenkins/Tom/JRJ/Nijman or Bak/Jenkins/JRJ/Rhyan/Tom, so which to you would be the most appealing option?

I apologize if this sounded like a challenge, it's really just a mild question.

I've really been struggling to compile the 53 man roster. Some are too close to call such as:

Cox vs Hollins (Hollins has been with the 1s and STs so realistically he probably edges this one and there's a good chance Cox will make the PS given his history and undrafted status)

Gaines vs Jean-Charles (Gaines is all over STs and provide cover at both safety and nickle corner, this will be key)

Moore vs Leavitt (I prefer Moore for better depth at safety but my head says Rich will want to keep his guy and he will probably get what he wants)

Toure vs DuBose vs Heath (I honestly don't know what the Packers are thinking but if I was a betting man we would keep them all, probably at the expense of a DL/LB/TE)

Wilson vs Goodson (Wilson took his opportunity but Goodson is more versatile)

===========================================================

OFFENCE: 24
[QB] Love | Clifford [2]
This seems pretty clear.

[RB] Jones | Dillon | Wilson [3]
I think Wilson makes it because we have Reed and Nixon for end-arounds and its always good to have a big back on the roster. Running the ball will be an important part of our identity this year and softening up defences will certainly help Love out. Having 7 WRs negates the need to have another receiving RB imo. Goodson and Nichols are unlucky here to miss out but should be the no.1 PS candidate to bring back.

[FB] Deguara [1]
Who else.

[TE] Musgrave | Kraft [2]
Two may not be enough but don't forget we also have Deguara to make three. Can always carry another TE and FB on the practice squad. The lack of FB and TE allows us to stock up on inside linebackers for ST which I think will happen.

[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Toure | DeBose | Heath [7]
I think this group picks itself.

[OL] Bakhtiari | Tom | Nijman | Jones | Walker | Jenkins | Runyan | Rhyan | Myers [9]
I strongly believe Newman will finally be cut. With Hanson also recently cut we are lacking a little depth in the interior which is why I think Rhyan makes the roster. We can always keep a centre on the PS squad. We got good tackle depth so we should not be afraid of moving Tom around to cover C/G.

DEFENCE: 26
[DL] Clark | Wyatt | Slaton | Wooden | Brooks | Ford [6]
Obvious selections here however I made a surprise pick with Ford because it ensures Clark can remain a DE instead of DT if Slaton goes down. Big bodies frees up Clark and Wyatt and boost our run defence as well.

[OLB] Gary | Smith | Van Ness | Engabare | Hollins [5]
Obvious selections here. I've already explained why I think Hollins makes the roster.

[ILB] Campbell | Walker | McDuffie | Carpenter | Wilson [5]
Lots of ILB thanks to few FBs and TEs. This is very much for ST in mind.

[CB] Alexander | Douglas | Valentine | Ballentine | Nixon [5]
I can't see past this group and we have also Stokes waiting to come back. Gaines versatility makes Jean-Charles expendable. For Jean-Charles to make the roster I think the rumor of Douglas switching to safety might save him there.

[S] Savage | Ford | Owens | Gaines | Leavitt [5]
Gaines gives the Packers lots of flexibility. He obviously can be used as a safety but he's also been used as a nickle corner so he can back up Nixon. Gaines is on alot of ST units too. I want to keep Moore because i'm a sucker for 4.3 speed but I think Owens beats out Moore so it comes down to Moore and Leavitt for the final spot and Rich Bisaccia will choose his guy. I don't think there's room for Johnson.

Note: If Douglas switches to safety then i think both Moore and Leavitt will be cut. Gaines is versatile enough to replace whatever Leavitt is doing for us on ST.

SPECIAL: 3
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan
[LS] Orzech
I honestly don't have a handle on the punter and long snapper competition. Carlson has missed kicks with both O'Donnell and Whelan holding. There's zero reports who was snapping on those missed kicks so Orzech is in by default. I chose Whelan as punter because why the hell not!

PUP: Stokes

Edited by Chili

57 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Yeah it's Apples to Oranges, but the backup option involving center is either Bak/Jenkins/Tom/JRJ/Nijman or Bak/Jenkins/JRJ/Rhyan/Tom, so which to you would be the most appealing option?

I apologize if this sounded like a challenge, it's really just a mild question.

In general, I'd prefer to only have to move one position, but in your scenario, option 1 makes sense. 

I didn't take it as a challenge, I didn't understand what you were saying. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In general, I'd prefer to only have to move one position, but in your scenario, option 1 makes sense. 

I didn't take it as a challenge, I didn't understand what you were saying. 

That's fair, I totally botched my words there. I should've elaborated properly.

6 hours ago, R T said:

We should probably be taking a better look at Empey and Schneider. I've given them no chance, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if the Packers like what they have in one of them. 

Schneider is listed at 10 pounds heavier, is one year younger, and has one year in the NFL.  Empey started 41 games at center for BYU, whereas Schneider played LG for the majority of his UCF career.  I would guess that you can stash either of them on the PS and can just deal with musical chairs for a game if Meyers gets hurt.  I didn't really notice if either was bad when they played against the Bengals (as did Tom and Runyan), but I did notice that Rhyan and Newman looked better against the Patriots with Hanson at center, if that means anything.

I know it won't be popular around here, but we could also offer a PS spot to Hanson when he clears waivers.  They may have just wanted to see a couple more players in practice while he recovers for a few weeks.  I thought that Hanson looked the best that he has with the Packers against NE, before he got hurt again.