2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did you watch him last night? I came away pretty impressed.  I don't think this is a guy that you let get away, if he has his head on straight.  And as of right now, there is no reason to think that he doesn't.

Which end of the roster guy has the potential, both in the future and this season, that Brenton Cox has?

I'm not releasing him.  Pass rushers are hard to find.  And he can rush.  He'd be my 5th EDGE.  Smith.  Gary.  Engbare.  LVN.  Cox.

And I'd try really hard to get him onto the specials team so he can be active on gameday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

BTW, why is everybody acting like Justin Hollins is a lock because of his contract? Dude got 200K guaranteed. His 1.1 in salary is not guaranteed. He can absolutely be cut after TC. 

He's been starting at EDGE most of camp with Gary out and plays ST. Why would we cut him??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's been starting at EDGE most of camp with Gary out and plays ST. Why would we cut him??

If we were to keep 5 I would cut him before Gary, Smith, Enagbare, LVN and Cox. If we are keeping six, he makes the team. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If we were to keep 5 I would cut him before Gary, Smith, Enagbare, LVN and Cox. If we are keeping six, he makes the team. 

5 guys who will never play ST snaps. With a light TE room. Are we also keeping 5 ILB to make up for the body type?

Nobody is stealing a first year undrafted EDGE who doesn't play specials and hasn't played against NFL level OL..

Edited by HighCalebR

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

5 guys who will never play ST snaps. With a light TE room. Are we also keeping 5 ILB to make up for the body type?

Nobody is stealing a first year undrafted EDGE who doesn't play specials and hasn't played against NFL level OL..

The only reason he wasn't a 2nd or 3rd round pick was because of the off-field stuff. He's proven he can be a good teammate and got through a TC. You do NOT expose that guy to waivers. 

He'd be a starter in Chicago by week 4. Heck, Minnesota could use him as well in their top 3-4 EDGE rushers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

The only reason he wasn't a 2nd or 3rd round pick was because of the off-field stuff. He's proven he can be a good teammate and got through a TC. You do NOT expose that guy to waivers. 

He'd be a starter in Chicago by week 4. Heck, Minnesota could use him as well in their top 3-4 EDGE rushers. 

You know I like that player.  And I cannot say I like, (insert his last name).  Sorry, not sorry.

But, they make a point about him.  I feel like most teams have someone like him in camp that they like.  

I'd move on from Hollins because of lack of upside.  This is a young team.  I'd keep the guys with the most upside.  And I'm not sure that Hollins would fit that profile.

If I were a team that feels like it can contend this year?  Different story.  Then I'm keeping someone like Hollins who can get me out of a game and not be reckless.  (Cox can be reckless, case in point last game.)

I'm unsure of how GB views this years' team.  So it will be interesting to watch.  With how Engbare has played, and with how Gary has recovered, I'd personally take the upside player over the steady eddy player.

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I've been seeing Enegbare play ST snaps this pre-season. Cox probably has done so too, but I'd be lying if I said I definitively saw it.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You know I like that player.  And I cannot say I like, (insert his last name).  Sorry, not sorry.

But, they make a point about him.  I feel like most teams have someone like him in camp that they like.  

I'd move on from Hollins because of lack of upside.  This is a young team.  I'd keep the guys with the most upside.  And I'm not sure that Hollins would fit that profile.

If I were a team that feels like it can contend this year?  Different story.  Then I'm keeping someone like Hollins who can get me out of a game and not be reckless.  (Cox can be reckless, case in point last game.)

I'm unsure of how GB views this years' team.  So it will be interesting to watch.  With how Engbare has played, and with how Gary has recovered, I'd personally take the upside player over the steady eddy player.

@Packerraymond makes the best case for Hollins and that is special teams. That is why I think we keep six. I'm not taking a chance that kid gets away.

I will disagree with you regarding how most teams have a guy like him in camp. They don't not a guy who is going to be 5th on the depth chart. 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The 4.9 athlete? With marginal explosive numbers? Yeah I'm gonna disagree there. I expose him to waivers and feel comfy.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The 4.9 athlete? With marginal explosive numbers? Yeah I'm gonna disagree there. I expose him to waivers and feel comfy.

Are you referring to Kingsley Enagbare? A guy who had a chance to prepare for the combine with professionals who train guys to test well. That was an opportunity Cox did not have. Yet, Enabare seems he can actually play football, but how can that be with his combine numbers? 

You cannot look at this kid and not see the explosiveness he possesses. I think they refer to that as being a football player and not a tester. 

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

On coverage units? Not what I'd expect I guess.

Kickoffs for sure, both coverage and blocking. Probably punt units too, but I won't claim to have seen it- those are soooo much harder to pinpoint without a camera angle fixated on the punter's *ss.

I can also say PFR states he took part in 86 ST snaps last year, but he did spend a lot of time as a starter, so that usually means he'd be blocking on placekicks.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is soooo much like the 3rd RB conversation.

I like who I like, it doesn't really matter much, though, either way.

But let's get a few pages of entertainment in here.

It's why we're easily the most active sub-group in the forum.