2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

They projected Bak as a guard only coming out of college. Walker got 1st team reps at LT this week after the way he played Saturday. I'm not saying he can't slide inside but I think the Packers are thinking tackle of the future. 

BTW, that is another player from the 2022 draft who is showing promise. That draft is going to be an epic haul for the Packers. 

Q. Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Rhyan(?), Doubs, Tom, Enagbare, Carpenter, Ford, R. Walker, Toure. I don't think any of them are in jeopardy of getting cut this year and we should have 5 starters out of the draft already with two more (Enagbare and Toure) rotational players. Jury is still out on Rhyan, Carpenter, Ford and R. Walker but if even one of them turn into a player this will be one of our best drafts ever. 

No they didn't. Bakhtiari was looked at as a Tackle/Center because he had zero drive skills. 

One Bakhtiari scouting report.

Overview
With football bloodlines, Bakhtiari should have always had his sights set on the NFL, but he will be there sooner than many expected. Despite playing his entire career on the edge at tackle, expect the Colorado product to move inside in the NFL. He needs to gain weight as to not get jolted on first contact, but Bakhtiari possesses a mean attitude to finish off blocks and could be a late second-day selection.
Strengths
  • Consistent low posture and first contact through his hands is there
  • Strong grip and latch to control when obtained
  • Frequently limits inside moves and very aware of slowed footwork when opponent is setting up a second move
  • He drives forward in these situations, specifically with the inside armbar to cut off the shorter path
  • Flashes a mean attitude to finish off plays, takes opponents down that have lost their balance
  • Can really get after it, an attacker rather than passive blocker
  • Brings the club with one hand when wanting to release in space on screen plays
  • Doesn't wait on blocks at the second level, on the offensive and seeks out contact
  • If uncovered he always helps inside in pass protection and delivers a nice punch
Weaknesses
  • Not an ideal build for an offensive lineman, thin in the arms
  • Many difficulties arise form pass blocking on an island
  • Beaten around the edge without slowing the rusher down and can lose face up against stiff contact due to not having the ability to stop backwards momentum
  • Move to guard is likely in his future
  • Deep drop steps aren't natural and stiff contact jolts him mid-stride
  • Loses on counter moves, thrown to the side when top heavy or leaning too far over, specifically when run blocking
  • Whiffs on cut blocks

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No they didn't. Bakhtiari was looked at as a Tackle/Center because he had zero drive skills. 

I read several reports stating his best position would be guard when he came out of Colorado. 

2013 NFL Draft Prospects: David Bakhtiari Scouting Profile - Mile High Report

He has 34 inch arms, so a move to Guard might be in his best interests, since he already possesses an aggressive attitude.

David Bakhtiari Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Colorado OT | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Cowboys’ Potential Draft Pick: David Bakhtiari, OT, Colorado – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (nbcdfw.com)

Colorado offensive tackle David Bakhtiari is a highly-athletic player who will be downgraded because he’s only 6-4, 299 pounds. Actually, some teams have told Bakhtiari that they think he needs to play an interior line position.

Bottom Line

Bakhtiari certainly has potential to play tackle in the NFL, but what makes him a much safer pick than some others is his projected easy transition to guard. In a zone-blocking scheme, Bakhtiari is everything a team could ask for.

Edited by Old Guy

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What? Are you trying to be silly or are you just spinning some more nonsense?

If this is an actual formal account of circumstances, the buffoonery would approach the levels of your Kevin King infatuation and hatred of Aaron Jones and Rashan Gary. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I read several reports stating his best position would be guard when he came out of Colorado. 

2013 NFL Draft Prospects: David Bakhtiari Scouting Profile - Mile High Report

He has 34 inch arms, so a move to Guard might be in his best interests, since he already possesses an aggressive attitude.

We had a literal Steelers scout share this information with us. 

"May be better off at Guard" is an empty platitude attached to every mid round tackle for eternity. You have to take it with a massive grain of salt. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We had a literal Steelers scout share this information with us. 

"May be better off at Guard" is an empty platitude attached to every mid round tackle for eternity. You have to take it with a massive grain of salt. 

OK, whatever! I didn't make up what I read pre-draft and pointed out three different publications who stated what I posted. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

One Bakhtiari scouting report.

I can not emphasize enough that EVERY Tackle prospect who is not going in the top 15 picks will have "May be a better fit at Guard" on their online draft profile. 

Read that scouting report, what on earth makes you think that guy is going to excel at Guard. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

OK, whatever! I didn't make up what I read pre-draft and pointed out three different publications who stated what I posted. 

I'm not saying you made it up. I'm saying the sources you're pulling these from are wrong. It's not a big deal, a lot of those sites around that time were complete trash.

I was writing for one, and I was a 16 year old in high school. 

14 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't see Walker as a Tackle only guy. I've read scouting reports that project him at Guard. 

I don't see a guard with him.  The way those feet move and the way he's built just screams out LT.  Then  to a lesser extent RT.

If he were shorter, squattier with heavier feet and heavier hands, then guard.  Yah know, like Rhyan should be.

I'm so very comfortable going into the year with this OL.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't see a guard with him.  The way those feet move and the way he's built just screams out LT.  Then  to a lesser extent RT.

If he were shorter, squattier with heavier feet and heavier hands, then guard.  Yah know, like Rhyan should be.

I'm so very comfortable going into the year with this OL.

I'm no expert on OL play.  1.  Most Packer guards had played tackle in college.  2.  MM taught play-your-best-5.  This often involved shuffling tackles to guard, and sometimes guards to tackles as injuries were dealt. 

So in past, I've kinda been naively trained that the requisites for guard versus tackle are different but not that much.Tackles require more than guards, in terms of footwork and quickness.  Thus guys not quite good enough to play tackle can be good enough to play guard.  Not all good guards would succeed if switched to tackle.  But, my sense was that anybody who IS good enough to play tackle well, should have the physical capacity to play guard well, given some training.  Is that faulty?  Basically *IF* you have a surplus of good tackles, you can always slide one to guard.  [Kinda like in baseball, I assume any SS has the tools to switch to 2B or 3B, once he gains enough experience at the new position.]  As I wrong and naive to assume any good tackle can learn to play good guard?  

Alex obviously argued against my simplified view, in saying that Bakhti had T/C potential, but lacked the capacity for guard.  

Vegas, are you saying that Walker does NOT have the scope to play a good guard?  He's fit for tackle, but NOT fit for guard?  Or are you more just saying that he's fit for tackle, so it would be a waste of his talents to use him at guard?  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm no expert on OL play.  1.  Most Packer guards had played tackle in college.  2.  MM taught play-your-best-5.  This often involved shuffling tackles to guard, and sometimes guards to tackles as injuries were dealt. 

So in past, I've kinda been naively trained that the requisites for guard versus tackle are different but not that much.Tackles require more than guards, in terms of footwork and quickness.  Thus guys not quite good enough to play tackle can be good enough to play guard.  Not all good guards would succeed if switched to tackle.  But, my sense was that anybody who IS good enough to play tackle well, should have the physical capacity to play guard well, given some training.  Is that faulty?  Basically *IF* you have a surplus of good tackles, you can always slide one to guard.  [Kinda like in baseball, I assume any SS has the tools to switch to 2B or 3B, once he gains enough experience at the new position.]  As I wrong and naive to assume any good tackle can learn to play good guard?  

Alex obviously argued against my simplified view, in saying that Bakhti had T/C potential, but lacked the capacity for guard.  

Vegas, are you saying that Walker does NOT have the scope to play a good guard?  He's fit for tackle, but NOT fit for guard?  Or are you more just saying that he's fit for tackle, so it would be a waste of his talents to use him at guard?  

First off, yes, you are just a little faulty in my opinion.

But here's why...and it is very open to criticism.

Guards need anchors and the ability (strength) to move people in the run game.  RG is your power guard.  LG is more of a "movement" guard.  But both need to be very stout at the point of attack.

Tackles can be both power and movement (or finesse).  But, the ability to move those large feet and mirror are key.  The best athletes play tackle because they have the best size and footspeed.

We've taken collegiate tackles and made them guards.  Usually because the athletic profile is more power and less "movement".  Rhyan is a great example.  Lang and Sitton (I think) played tackle in college.  Smaller schools with lesser talent, so yeah, they played tackle, but they may not have been the athlete that others were in the larger school.

I too saw where Bakh was said to be a guard prospect in college.  I didn't see that at all.  But, he didn't really fit the ideal physical measurements of a tackle at the time, and he lacked a lot of power in the chest and legs.  So yeah, center I could see as a projection for him as well as LT or even LG in a pinch.

But Bakh to me had LT feet all day long.  He just needed more power.  Had he failed at LT, maybe he would have been tried at C or LG.  

Can a good tackle become a good guard?  Probably.  But why waste tackle talent at the guard position.  I've thought that way about Quentin Nelson since he was drafted.  Tackle is more important.  Think of Robert Gallery.  More or less a bust at LT.  Became a good or serviceable guard.  And according to Wiki, left guard.  Less of a power guard.  

Walker.  I see feet, I see athleticism, I see the frame.  It all screams tackle to me.  If he were 3 inches shorter,  at his same weight, with feet that weren't as quick?  Guard.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Every GM in the NFL was as wrong as those sites about Bakhtiari or he wouldn't have been available in the 4th round. Doesn't necessarily mean that they are trash (although some likely are). It means it's hard to project upside.

Two sets of people being wrong about something doesn't mean they're equally wrong. 

The way those sites work is that one guy gets the Blesto 300 list, and then they sprint to fill the profiles up with box score stuff. 

And then in the strengths and weaknesses category, they look at height, weight, and appearance, and pick the appropriate platitudes out of the lists. 

Hell, I would be surprised if it's automated at this point. 

I would be shocked if half the sites that had write ups on Bakhtiari had watched a single snap. Once you get down into the mid 100s, forget about it.