2023-24,53-man roster for the Packers, and other predictions.

jleisher

I think that the thinking is that if we got a draft pick out of CVL a year ago with not much other than training camp, we may be able to get something from a guy that made starts?

I really don't understand what the deal with Newman is.  He has seemed to get worse as time goes on.  I thought he was respectable as a rookie that was pressed into action.  But he was really bad last year, and just the little that was shown on Friday, dare I say he is even worse? 

QB: Love-Clifford

RB: Jones-Dillon-Wilson

WR: Watson-Doubs-Reed-Toure-Wicks-Heath

TE: Deguara-Musgrave-Kraft

OL: Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Tom-Nijman-Rhyan-Walker-Hanson-Jones

DL: Clark-Slaton-Wyatt-Wooden-Brooks-Ford

EDGE: Gary-Smith-Van Ness-Hollins-Enagbare-Cox

ILB: Campbell-Walker-McDuffie-Carpenter

CB: Alexander-Douglas-Stokes-Nixon-Valentine

S: Savage-Ford-Moore-Leavitt-Johnson

ST: Carlson-O'Donnell-Orzech

The common theme lately is to keep only 2 RBs on the opening 53 because they did it last season but feeling that was a onetime deal. Could easily see the trading of an OL from this group, if not I could see them keeping 10 or 11 from that group. Eric Wilson was my last cut here and I can see him making it over Cox or one of the last OL players. Nothing shocking with this 53 and an injury or two will still likely alter the end results. Under two weeks to go. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, R T said:

The common theme lately is to keep only 2 RBs on the opening 53 because they did it last season but feeling that was a onetime deal. Could easily see the trading of an OL from this group, if not I could see them keeping 10 or 11 from that group. Eric Wilson was my last cut here and I can see him making it over Cox or one of the last OL players. Nothing shocking with this 53 and an injury or two will still likely alter the end results. Under two weeks to go. 

I think Wilson makes it based on his special teams prowess and not being a total liability from scrimmage, should he be forced to play.  I like your roster but give me Wilson over Hanson.  I think we can keep Hanson on our PS if it were to come to that.  That being said, I also am looking to keep Luke Tenuta if possible.  Perhaps his injury keeps him out for the rest of the preseason and he isn't super exposed and makes it to the PS?

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think Wilson makes it based on his special teams prowess and not being a total liability from scrimmage, should he be forced to play.  I like your roster but give me Wilson over Hanson.  I think we can keep Hanson on our PS if it were to come to that.  That being said, I also am looking to keep Luke Tenuta if possible.  Perhaps his injury keeps him out for the rest of the preseason and he isn't super exposed and makes it to the PS?

I get wanting Tenuta, but if we are higher on Walker and Jones than him that is already 5 OTs. Seems the light has come on for Walker. Not sure who is ahead in the Jones/Tenuta battle but believe it comes down to one of them. If Tenuta misses the balancer of preseason, his fate is likely sealed. 

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

With you basically on Wilson, if anything of importance was on the line, I would say Eric Wilson would be on the team. Not saying Hanson wouldn't make it to the PS, but OL is one area that there is a shortage of depth league wide, and the Packers probably have a few tradable pieces from that group. Really expect to see a trade in the next week. 

Runyan taking snaps at C might be the start of the end for Hanson. They may want both Jones and Tenuta to make the initial 53 so that one or both can be placed on IR and be able to return. Intrigued by Emanuel Wilson, but he still has to show he can handle pass pro and ST if he wants to make it.  Doesn't matter how many big runs he has if he can't be counted on to pick up a blitz. Hope he does it because he has more upside than Taylor.

• Like 1

Still some weeks for injuries, which will open up more spots.  I wonder where Stokes is at? 

Whether PUP or IR, either way it's the same 4 weeks minimum, correct?  But if PUP, then he doesn't need to be on the initial 53, but if he's going to IR, then he needs to be on the initial 53 before getting sent to IR?  I'd kinda guess they wouldn't really want to be too tricksy with this; as a young player, with a new coach, he can probably use all the practice he can get.  Don't think I'd recommend keeping him out just to save a spot for one of the Wilson(LB)/Hanson/Leavitt type guy for the first 24 hours.   

I'm also thinking those veteran SP guys, it's not like other teams can claim them on waivers any way, right?  If it's Wilson(RB) or Rhyan, teams can claim them on waivers.  But for old guys like Wilson(LB)/Hanson/Leavitt, they are released, not waived, and are instantly complete free agents.  So, *IF* you've hypothetically already arranged that you'll resign them tomorrow after their procedural release, you don't need to really fear that some other team is going to claim them.  Am I understanding this correctly?  

In any event, I think I like the Packers roster. 

But I'm not sure it's so great that exposing one of the bubble guys is going to shake me up much.  If somebody grabs Patrick Taylor or Jake Hanson or Owens or whomever, will we miss them?  And how likely is it that other teams want those guys more than guys they already have in camp?  

On RT's list, you've got 24O/26D.  

I'd not be surprised to see that slide to 23/27.  3rd RB, 10th OL, 6th WR, any of those could be expendable if they prefer LB-Wilson or Gaines or Owens, or if hypothetically Stokes ends up being ready.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, craig said:

On RT's list, you've got 24O/26D.  

I'd not be surprised to see that slide to 23/27.  3rd RB, 10th OL, 6th WR, any of those could be expendable if they prefer LB-Wilson or Gaines or Owens, or if hypothetically Stokes ends up being ready.  

Agree, easily could be 23/27 this year. 

3 hours ago, R T said:

QB: Love-Clifford

RB: Jones-Dillon-Wilson

WR: Watson-Doubs-Reed-Toure-Wicks-Heath

TE: Deguara-Musgrave-Kraft

OL: Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Tom-Nijman-Rhyan-Walker-Hanson-Jones

DL: Clark-Slaton-Wyatt-Wooden-Brooks-Ford

EDGE: Gary-Smith-Van Ness-Hollins-Enagbare-Cox

ILB: Campbell-Walker-McDuffie-Carpenter

CB: Alexander-Douglas-Stokes-Nixon-Valentine

S: Savage-Ford-Moore-Leavitt-Johnson

ST: Carlson-O'Donnell-Orzech

Think this might be the best offense and defense roster, but I can't see Rich B sitting in that room after losing Davis and letting them cut Patrick Taylor, Eric Wilson and Corey Ballentine. Think 2/3 of those guys make this team based solely on his demands. 

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Runyan taking snaps at C might be the start of the end for Hanson. They may want both Jones and Tenuta to make the initial 53 so that one or both can be placed on IR and be able to return. Intrigued by Emanuel Wilson, but he still has to show he can handle pass pro and ST if he wants to make it.  Doesn't matter how many big runs he has if he can't be counted on to pick up a blitz. Hope he does it because he has more upside than Taylor.

I think it also means they are very happy with Tom at tackle and do not want to move him inside should something happen to Myers. 

Also, leads me to the question, how many tackles can we keep? Tenuta, Walker and Jones are pretty much tackle only guys. If Tom is being groomed as strictly a tackle that would mean 6 tackles on the team. Leaving max 4 interior guys. I think either Jones or Tenuta is going to be exposed to waivers. I also see us in the market for a waiver claim on a guard. 

I don't see Walker as a Tackle only guy. I've read scouting reports that project him at Guard. 

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
Round 3
Overview
Walker possesses enticing power and measurables but has issues that could be challenging to correct if he stays at tackle. Ohio State defenders were able to burn up his outside edge, which creates concern about his pass pro range, but it can be hard to beat his anchor with pure power. He has issues playing beyond his base, creating chronic over-extension that will be exploited by skilled NFL rush talent. He's capable as a run blocker and should keep getting better with more hand work. Walker projects as a right tackle on the next level but might move inside to guard if his range and balance in pass sets aren't up to par.

38 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't see Walker as a Tackle only guy. I've read scouting reports that project him at Guard. 

They projected Bak as a guard only coming out of college. Walker got 1st team reps at LT this week after the way he played Saturday. I'm not saying he can't slide inside but I think the Packers are thinking tackle of the future. 

BTW, that is another player from the 2022 draft who is showing promise. That draft is going to be an epic haul for the Packers. 

Q. Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Rhyan(?), Doubs, Tom, Enagbare, Carpenter, Ford, R. Walker, Toure. I don't think any of them are in jeopardy of getting cut this year and we should have 5 starters out of the draft already with two more (Enagbare and Toure) rotational players. Jury is still out on Rhyan, Carpenter, Ford and R. Walker but if even one of them turn into a player this will be one of our best drafts ever. 

Edited by Old Guy