What movies that were critically/commercially panned are you an apologist for?

MikeT14

I'll start with Miami Vice.

On a budget of $135M this only made $63M domestically and about $163M worldwide. 

I actually thought this was a pretty good movie despite its flaws. I thought it was beautifully shot in Michael Mann style, and I rarely have issues with Colin Farrell's performances (Foxx here though...). I know the ending was changed as well (not for the better), and featured a great cover of In The Air Tonight by Nonpoint. It's probably one of those movies where had it been it's own individual entity and not tied to the Miami Vice universe it might have been seen a little better. Anyway, I liked it, and think it got an unfair shake. 

• Like 1

MV5BYjRiMDhmNTctNGJiYi00MTQ5LTg2N2YtMGQ1

I don't know if I have ever actually met a person who likes this movie, but it's one of my favorite Rom Coms ever.  Crazy wonky plot, but man this just works for me.  A 1997 movie starring Ewen McGregor and Cameron Diaz somehow managed to gross less than $5 million total.  Not to mention it's stellar supporting cast with Delroy Lindo, Holly Hunter, Dan Hedaya, and Stanley Tucci.

• Like 1

Another: Reign of Fire

I don't know how this movie didn't make money - $43M DM/$82M WW against a budget of $60 million. This movie is fun! Before Bale and McConaughey really broke out, they had this PG13 dragon action movie. Maybe it needed to be R but I don't think so. 

Plus...

tumblr_n67aruR1rz1qedb29o1_500.gif 

• Like 5

Love Reign of Fire.  Actually saw it at the tail end of a triple feature at the movies.  Saw Mr Deeds, Goldmember, and Reign of Fire all in one night when I had nothing going on, lol.  It was a clear favorite of mine of those three that I saw that night, although I do enjoy Mr Deeds well enough.  I remember Goldmember being terrible except for Michael Caine.

Reign of Fire is great.

I'm definitely not an apologist for this film, but Strange Wilderness has a 2% rating on RottenTomatoes and I remember it giving me more than a few really good laughs, which is more than I can say for a lot of other comedy movies that are rated much higher.

• Like 1

I seem to constantly disagree with critics, and I don't typically dislike many movies. But a lot of the movies I really like are bigger hits in the box office that critics despise.

I suppose one that would come to mind is Battlefield Earth. It makes top ten worst movie lists quite often, but I enjoyed it, partially for how bad it was I suppose.

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Another: Reign of Fire

I don't know how this movie didn't make money - $43M DM/$82M WW against a budget of $60 million. This movie is fun! Before Bale and McConaughey really broke out, they had this PG13 dragon action movie. Maybe it needed to be R but I don't think so. 

Plus...

tumblr_n67aruR1rz1qedb29o1_500.gif 

Top 50 favorite movie all time for me.

• Like 1

Last Action Hero is the best action satire ever made. The marketing for it was TERRIBLE and audiences were too stupid for it at the time. Thankfully, it’s getting the recognition it deserves. Just ten years ago, its IMDB rating was 5.7. It’s not sitting at 6.5, and that’s only going to get higher.

Waterworld is fun as hell.

Deep Rising.

Anaconda.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Last Action Hero is the best action satire ever made. The marketing for it was TERRIBLE and audiences were too stupid for it at the time. Thankfully, it’s getting the recognition it deserves. Just ten years ago, its IMDB rating was 5.7. It’s not sitting at 6.5, and that’s only going to get higher.

Waterworld is fun as hell.

Deep Rising.

Anaconda.

I remember liking last action hero as a kid,  haven't watched it recently so don't know how well it holds up. 

• Like 1