49ers Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

Bet Shanahan is a bit shook after the way that NFC champ game ended, in addition to going through the season with 4 QBs. Also the year before, Jimmy was basically half past-dead in the playoffs with the shoulder, and thumb injuries. Then there was the year before with the musical chairs operation with Mullens/Beathard. Two years before that Jimmy blows his ACL. Shanahan has got to be at wits end with the QB injury luck not going his way. 

That being said, Lance might just look hideous out there even if it's early. It's a SB roster, and maybe he just doesn't want to babysit anymore on SB ready roster. The other veterans probably look better at this point, which isn't a surprise. If the 49ers can get something for him in a trade, then they can just cut their losses. Then it's Darnold/Allen as backups. Whatever. Shanahan is lucky that Brock Purdy has shown as much potential as he has. If he stays healthy, and builds upon last season's small sample size, getting rid of Trey won't look so bad even if it's bad processing as to how the 49ers got here. 

This entire affair isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm just glad it looks like we have somebody that at worst won't be an albatross to getting to the SB. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Cutting him with the cap ramifications and QB injuries would be borderline malpractice 

I don't think 49ers will hold him if they don't think he's worth keep on 53. Him being cut and the 49ers taking the cap hit is on the table. Of course trading him makes the most sense but he might have zero value. They might also just do best for Lance and let him loose. 

32 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't think 49ers will hold him if they don't think he's worth keep on 53. Him being cut and the 49ers taking the cap hit is on the table. Of course trading him makes the most sense but he might have zero value. They might also just do best for Lance and let him loose. 

If he's not worth carrying on the 53, then they better be only carrying 2 QB, which would be stupid. 

Brandon Allen is just a camp fodder dude. Even if the team felt he was better than Lance, he's not so much better as a third string QB that you suffer the camp ramifications. He costs 6 million more to cut than keep on the roster. There's no way this should be a thing. 

*Edit*

Actually 5.3 per spotrac. 

Also, when I say no way this should be a thing, it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. It just means it was be insanely stupid based on the factors and I would criticize the hell out of them for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If he's not worth carrying on the 53, then they better be only carrying 2 QB, which would be stupid. 

Brandon Allen is just a camp fodder dude. Even if the team felt he was better than Lance, he's not so much better as a third string QB that you suffer the camp ramifications. He costs 6 million more to cut than keep on the roster. There's no way this should be a thing. 

*Edit*

Actually 5.3 per spotrac. 

Also, when I say no way this should be a thing, it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. It just means it was be insanely stupid based on the factors and I would criticize the hell out of them for it.

I think Brandon Allen is a little more than camp fodder.  I think he is a CJ Beathard/ Nick Mullens type of guy that can go 2-2, and win a game in a pinch.  

It takes weeks for a QB to get up to speed, especially if they don't get any reps during the year.  That is not true for any other position.  When we lost all the DT's last year, we got McGill and he looked ok.  You can't do that with QB at any point in the year.  The more important the games get, the harder it is to have a strong back up option at QB.  It's been a pile of bodies at the QB position.  Maybe the team is preparing for the possibility that keeps happening over and over again (Chris Weinke took snaps in SF).  

I thought I was crazy for wanting 4, until Shanahan said something about it.  I feel like the difference in quality of play between Brandon Allen with time in the system compared to a cold Josh Johnson is greater than the difference between the 53rd man on our roster and the guy we could bring in from waivers.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

19 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I think Brandon Allen is a little more than camp fodder.  I think he is a CJ Beathard/ Nick Mullens type of guy that can go 2-2, and win a game in a pinch.  

Brandon Allen is a 31 year old journeyman who signed for ostensibly the vet minimum two months after free agency opened. If he was still on the free agent market right now, nobody would be surprised. 

He's a QB 3/4 (well ... To say he's a three is fine) No reason to act like he's more than that. If he's playing, it's not great. 

I do agree that if they are at the point where they want to keep him, than they may as well keep 4. But again, not really a big deal for me. If you go two QBs down, I'd just as soon take a chance on Carson Wentz with a limited playbook as opposed to Brandon Allen 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Brandon Allen is a 31 year old journeyman who signed for ostensibly the vet minimum two months after free agency opened. If he was still on the free agent market right now, nobody would be surprised. 

He's a QB 3/4 (well ... To say he's a three is fine) No reason to act like he's more than that. If he's playing, it's not great. 

I do agree that if they are at the point where they want to keep him, than they may as well keep 4. But again, not really a big deal for me. If you go two QBs down, I'd just as soon take a chance on Carson Wentz with a limited playbook as opposed to Brandon Allen 

I can't say how happy I am to be talking about QB 4 right now.  I'm not kidding, it's been a good offseason.  Carson Wentz is available now, but most teams have one guy they are comfortable with.  So the other 31 probably sign Wentz before we really need that 4th guy.  

It's not that Brandon Allen is a world beater, but last time we needed a guy, we got Josh Johnson.   Most teams that need a guy end of with Josh Johnson, not Phillip Rivers, Drew Breese, or the early pick guy.  Watching Josh Johnson take snaps in that game, with that team, made me wish we had Nate Sudfeld.  Man, I would do everything in my power to keep that from happening again.  I wouldn't be mad if we didn't keep 4 QB's, but it seems to make a lot of sense.  

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel the same way about Brandon Allen as I did about Nate sudfeld. 

That said, if Allen went by his middle name, Duc Allen is a 4 time all pro

I think the Duc-meister is the better scheme fit, but they are of a similar quality.  

His college tape was seven years ago, but you can see the similarities to what he does well and what Shanahan draws up.  Whether he still does those things well is another thing to look at. 

15 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bet Shanahan is a bit shook after the way that NFC champ game ended, in addition to going through the season with 4 QBs. Also the year before, Jimmy was basically half past-dead in the playoffs with the shoulder, and thumb injuries. Then there was the year before with the musical chairs operation with Mullens/Beathard. Two years before that Jimmy blows his ACL. Shanahan has got to be at wits end with the QB injury luck not going his way. 

That being said, Lance might just look hideous out there even if it's early. It's a SB roster, and maybe he just doesn't want to babysit anymore on SB ready roster. The other veterans probably look better at this point, which isn't a surprise. If the 49ers can get something for him in a trade, then they can just cut their losses. Then it's Darnold/Allen as backups. Whatever. Shanahan is lucky that Brock Purdy has shown as much potential as he has. If he stays healthy, and builds upon last season's small sample size, getting rid of Trey won't look so bad even if it's bad processing as to how the 49ers got here. 

This entire affair isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm just glad it looks like we have somebody that at worst won't be an albatross to getting to the SB. 

It's don't think it's a huge huge deal either, there is just not a lot to talk about right now, and not a lot of new information.  I just totally understand a better safe than sorry approach to the spot.  I feel like our 2's and 3's are gonna play really hard this pre-season.   I'll wait until Lance gets some pre-season work before I form any opinions on how he is doing.  It's cheaper to keep him anyway.

19 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Every time a bell rings, a RB gets hurt.  I think they should keep all 4.

He still has two more years on contract.  It's a year and a half early for this move.

The 49ers one year they used 1 QB, one year they used 2, three years they used three, and one year they used 4.  In that six year run, arguably the second most important game was played by QB#4, and of all the 49ers QB's ranked he is inarguably ranked QB#7 of 7.  

I think the team should consider finding a way to keep all 4 QB's.   I know how good the bottom of this roster is this year.  There are a ton of really good bubble players that will not make it to the practice squad.  That being said, there is 0 chance of beating any NFL team with a random dude like Josh Johnson.  I think whoever the 4th QB is has a far greater chance of helping the 49ers win a game than whoever that 53rd guy is.  This is not a Jim Sorgi situation, the only constant is injuries.  I might deal the 4th at the deadline if they are all healthy.  Maybe I am just a little paranoid though. 

I'm definitely paranoid when it comes to QB health.

We're keeping all three.

There are a hundred Brandon Allen's out there. 

This really isn't a thing.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm definitely paranoid when it comes to QB health.

We're keeping all three.

There are a hundred Brandon Allen's out there. 

This really isn't a thing.

Then why didn't we have one last year in the NFCCG.  Either the 4th guy doesn't matter at all, or it matters so much that nothing else on the team matters at all.  There is no in between.

It's not that Brandon Allen is a special QB3, but having a guy who got reps early in the process, and has been here all year is where the true advantage is, in my opinion. 

I think it at least merits consideration, especially after what has happened last year.  Darnold and Lance played 8 games, and missed 29 games last season.  Purdy played in 8 before being hit with a considerable injury.  I would go with 4, but I doubt the team ends up going that direction.

18 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Then why didn't we have one last year in the NFCCG.  Either the 4th guy doesn't matter at all, or it matters so much that nothing else on the team matters at all.  There is no in between.

That guy should be on the PS though. This team has hit the injury bug at several other positions and it would be very difficult to cut that last DB or OL because you want brandon Allen on the 53

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adamq said:

That guy should be on the PS though. This team has hit the injury bug at several other positions and it would be very difficult to cut that last DB or OL because you want brandon Allen on the 53

Brandon Allen is probably more likely to clear waivers than Hartsfeld, Watson, Poe, Bell or Graham.  I suppose I am still not over the way we lost last year. 

• Like 1