2023 MLB trade deadline thread

kgarrett12486

Orioles need middle relief help, and could use a starting pitcher as well.

We have an embarrassment of prospect riches (8 in the top 100 and 6 in the top 80) so I expect something to get done.

Only issue is how many teams still think they’re “in it” and refuse to sell

My Nationals list: 

Looking ahead to the trade deadline, these guys should 100% not be on the team and moved on for future assets:

KYLE FINNEGAN, RP - he's already 31 but has two years of arbitration controlled years left. He's been solid if unspectacular.

CARL EDWARDS, JR., RP - see Finnegan. Will be a Free Agent in 2024. 

JEIMER CANDELARIO, 3B - he's having a pretty darn good year, after signing his 2nd prove it contract in as many seasons. Someone needing corner help should definitely scoop him up. He's a free agent after this season. Packaging him with a reliever above might pull a decent haul back. 

COREY DICKERSON, OF - The veteran has no future outside this season with us, so if anyone will take him for something, we should consider it. 

VICTOR ROBLES, OF - It's time to move on. Both sides have worn their welcome. He could use a change of scenery. He comes with an affordable club option for 2024. 

If the right offer came along...

Dominic Smith, 1B - You have to keep bodies somewhere, and he's under control for another year. Could be a better 2024 trade chip. 

Joey Meneses, OF/DH - an interesting one. He hasn't had the power we saw last year, but he's one of the best hitters in baseball with RISP. I think you hold out for a haul for him, and if nothing comes, you keep him another year. He's very cheap. 

Michael Chavis, 1B/2B - similar to Smith. 

Hunter Harvey, RP - I'd let this guy develop another year and maybe you can move him in 2024. 

Lane Thomas - under control for a while. Playing well.

32 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Orioles need middle relief help, and could use a starting pitcher as well.

We have an embarrassment of prospect riches (8 in the top 100 and 6 in the top 80) so I expect something to get done.

Only issue is how many teams still think they’re “in it” and refuse to sell

Definitely see another reliever being added.  Would love to make it David Bednar and tool up that bullpen similar to 2014 with Britton/ODay/Miller.  

I am wary of another starter.  I think they are more likely to get played by someone.  I think they go the Cole Irvin route and try to cheap it out, like a Rich Hill type.  

This team is not going to do well in the playoffs going with Kyle Gibson getting starts.  At this point it’s Tyler Wells, Bradish, Gibson and a potential Means/Grayson piggyback.  Take Gibson out of the equation and add a Giolito.  A lower tier rental does absolutely nothing.  

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Definitely see another reliever being added.  Would love to make it David Bednar and tool up that bullpen similar to 2014 with Britton/ODay/Miller.  

I am wary of another starter.  I think they are more likely to get played by someone.  I think they go the Cole Irvin route and try to cheap it out, like a Rich Hill type.  

This team is not going to do well in the playoffs going with Kyle Gibson getting starts.  At this point it’s Tyler Wells, Bradish, Gibson and a potential Means/Grayson piggyback.  Take Gibson out of the equation and add a Giolito.  A lower tier rental does absolutely nothing.  

Agree with this. Although before today Kremer had a bit of a good streak of good showings going. I would think a playoff series would see Wells/Braddish/Kremer as the starters. I’m not banking on Means coming back and looking himself, but that would be an absolute game changer. 

Would love to get Giolito. 

16 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Agree with this. Although before today Kremer had a bit of a good streak of good showings going. I would think a playoff series would see Wells/Braddish/Kremer as the starters. I’m not banking on Means coming back and looking himself, but that would be an absolute game changer. 

Would love to get Giolito. 

I think they built up means as a reliever/opener only. That’s about all of the time they have for him right now. Will be a weapon but not the one they were expecting with his injury setbacks 

• Like 1

I’d say Cleveland should be sellers even though they’re technically in the thick of a division race, but I’m not sure what they even have to sell. Bieber is hurt, they have next to no bats, and those they do have are on long term team friendly deals or with control.

The Orioles added an upside play to their bullpen, acquiring Shintaro Fujinami from the A’s. Minor league reliever Easton Lucas is going back to Oakland in a one-for-one swap.

1st domino to fall yesterday. I think it's a good move for the O's. He's shown really well since being moved to the BP exclusively in June. Has really decreased his walk-rate since that time. he certainly has the stuff to be a high leverage reliever. 

• Like 1

Dodgers need to unload that farm system and trade for Ohtani. It’s a place where he is most likely gonna go to in the offseason. I think it’s the worse kept secret. 

Does Arte Moreno bite the bullet and get back a haul back or hold onto him and watch him go to the Dodgers and get nothing 

An MVP has never played for 2 teams in the season they won MVP. If Shohei gets traded to an NL team, like the Dodgers, there would be some very interesting MVP considerations. If he continued on his insane pace in the NL, could Shohei win MVP for both leagues? Is that allowed?

On 7/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, minutemancl said:

An MVP has never played for 2 teams in the season they won MVP. If Shohei gets traded to an NL team, like the Dodgers, there would be some very interesting MVP considerations. If he continued on his insane pace in the NL, could Shohei win MVP for both leagues? Is that allowed?

I don’t see a way that Ohtani can overcome the terrific head start that Acuna would have on him. 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:20 AM, agarcia34 said:

Dodgers need to unload that farm system and trade for Ohtani. It’s a place where he is most likely gonna go to in the offseason. I think it’s the worse kept secret. 

Does Arte Moreno bite the bullet and get back a haul back or hold onto him and watch him go to the Dodgers and get nothing 

I wouldn't be so sure on the dodgers.

Moreno is too much of a narcissist to do it I think. Itd be better to get a few top prospects than nothing though.

I think he won't even go to the highest bidder. He would most likely go to where he can win a championship. A place like Atlanta. Low payroll so they could pay him too and he could win.