Texans cut starting LB Christian Kirksey, CB Desmond King

TheKillerNacho

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38278892/sources-texans-cut-veteran-cb-desmond-king-lb-christian-kirksey

While all 32 teams have started the process of final cuts, the Texans made two moves that raised an eyebrow. Both players played in every game for the Texans last season, with Kirksey starting all 17 games and King starting 13. The latter is personally more surprising as I held him in high regard... wouldn't mind Miami taking a look.

Both kinda make sense
Kirksey doesn't have a spot with Perryman, Christian Harris (Alabama LB), Henry Too'too (Alabama LB) and Littleton is cheaper with more outside experience. Desmond King has Stingley, Nelson and Shaq Griffin. I'd have thought those three would be outside options and King nickle, but I guess Nelson could be a nickel and bet on Griffin being healthy and rebound outside? I'd think they make 5-8mil in cap space with the move without looking it up.

• Like 1

With Jalen Thompson back at safety after Isaiah Simmons flopped as a DB, we need someone in the slot. Kei'Trel Clark might be able to step up, but he's an undersized late round rookie. Desmond King would automatically be the Cardinals' best CB and could play nickel in base D.

Kirksey was more or less forced out with Henry To’o To’o proving to be further along than anticipated, serving as the backup to Denzel Perryman - To’o To’o draws a few comparisons to former Texans LB DeMeco Ryans (makes up for a lack of athletic ability with a high motor paired with IQ). Ryans turned out pretty well as a rookie MLB for the Texans… so I guess I’m saying that To’o To’o is in line to become the Texans Head Coach in 2043? 

King is a weird one, but he’s had a rough preseason to this point and might be a bit redundant to this secondary - the chatter is that Steven Nelson can drop into the slot and Shaquill Griffin can play the boundary. We’ll see how it plays out.