Raiders trade DT Neil Farrell to Chiefs for 6th rounder

RaidersAreOne

Was wondering what event might bring back the negativity. It’s seemed weirdly positive around here recently 😆 Was expecting it to be the team’s first loss. Seems a bit misplaced that the trading of Neil Farrell that has triggered it. 

Do other teams fans get this worked up about moving on from late round draft picks? Isn’t this what happens every single year with more 4th round players and below than not? Isn’t it the very nature of the NFL - that, in comparison to other team sports  - the size of an NFL squad, the existence of an annual draft and how contracts are agreed during a yearly FA period mean that there is always a huge amount of change at the bottom end of every roster?

I’ve followed the NFL for a while now and I don’t really find it either particularly surprising or disappointing when cheap depth players are moved for other cheap depth players. 

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Keeping better players according to who?  JM and DZ?  What have either of them done to prove they are decent at evaluating talent or getting good ROI on anything. 

This team has been atrocious at stopping the run for nearly two decades, while trotting a laundry list of bums to try to fill that massive void while people on here think a 7th round DT is the answer to our problems?  No chance this guys see significant snaps and if he does lock up anoter year of the 32nd ranked D in the NFL...   If history stands he will be another bum that we will cast off in a few years.  

I think it's safe to assume that if a stud 3T is staring us in the face during next years draft this 7th rounder won't stop us from taking him lol 

This D projects to be amongst the worst in football and we're wasting our time talking about a player who most likely will be out of football in three years....  Must be pre season!

According to the FO, writers, posters in here. Nesta made more noise in this cap than Farrell did in two years. So you’re saying a 7th rounder won’t stop a team from taking an elite talent at the same position? Shocking! Lmao

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Thats real. To me it just goes back to why do better teams want players that we don't.

If Jones isn’t holding out, are the Chiefs interested in Farrell? I think this means the Jones situation has a chance to get ugly. 

The same guys who say watching preseason is a waste of time and don't pay attention to training camp, been calling Farrell lazy trash are now crying about Farrell being traded. 😲 

He's been replaced by two better players Jenkins and Nasty Nester.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 5

I am not concerned with trading a 4th round pick and happy they will move quickly if they believe they made a mistake.  I would be concerned if this becomes a regular occurrence.  Him being traded within the division speaks volumes of what they think of him.  If they felt he had a chance to become a decent player they would have traded out of the division for anything before helping out a team we have to play twice a year.

43 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

The same guys who say watching preseason is a waste of time and don't pay attention to training camp, been calling Farrell lazy trash are now crying about Farrell being traded. 😲 

He's been replaced by two better players Jenkins and Nasty Nester.

I hope Nesta starts and is lights out. Jenkins just vet insurance behind him. Would be ideal 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, reddevil said:

Was wondering what event might bring back the negativity. It’s seemed weirdly positive around here recently 😆 Was expecting it to be the team’s first loss. Seems a bit misplaced that the trading of Neil Farrell that has triggered it. 

Do other teams fans get this worked up about moving on from late round draft picks? Isn’t this what happens every single year with more 4th round players and below than not? Isn’t it the very nature of the NFL - that, in comparison to other team sports  - the size of an NFL squad, the existence of an annual draft and how contracts are agreed during a yearly FA period mean that there is always a huge amount of change at the bottom end of every roster?

I’ve followed the NFL for a while now and I don’t really find it either particularly surprising or disappointing when cheap depth players are moved for other cheap depth players. 

This would be more valid if it were an isolated occurrence, but it isn't. 

It's not just moving a 4th rounder. That, indeed, happens pretty often. 

It's the fact we traded for a guy based on a faulty premise, had limited draft tools to work with, decided that Farrell was worth a 4th rounder based on scouting (by the same regime that decided Tim Tebow was a 1st round QB), decided 1 year in to ship him off for practically nothing (in an off season un which we let a top 15 QB walk for nothing because of a bad contract set up by this regime, alienated a fan favorite weapon and shipped him off, and have alienated our one real franchise cornerstone on offense ro the point that he, too, will almost assuredly walk at the end of the year for nothing) while also cutting a guy taken after him at the same position while drafting one as a reach this year and another in the 7th (not prime planning). 

Farrell isn't my friend, kid, or relative so I really couldn't care less about Neil Farrell Jr having a career at all, much less with the Raiders (beyond not wanting anyone homeless, that is). It's not about the player that was moved. It's about what it symbolizes and, for many, reinforces about the regime's asset management and their lack of success on and off the field both past and present. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I hope Nesta starts and is lights out. Jenkins just vet insurance behind him. Would be ideal 

They will definitely rotate him in dude is strong as an ox. Imagine having two really strong guys Wilson and Nester on your DL with Mad Max and eventually drafting or trading for a stud 3T. It's kind of sad some people here can't see where this is going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This would be more valid if it were an isolated occurrence, but it isn't. 

It's not just moving a 4th rounder. That, indeed, happens pretty often. 

It's the fact we traded for a guy based on a faulty premise, had limited draft tools to work with, decided that Farrell was worth a 4th rounder based on scouting (by the same regime that decided Tim Tebow was a 1st round QB), decided 1 year in to ship him off for practically nothing (in an off season un which we let a top 15 QB walk for nothing because of a bad contract set up by this regime, alienated a fan favorite weapon and shipped him off, and have alienated our one real franchise cornerstone on offense ro the point that he, too, will almost assuredly walk at the end of the year for nothing) while also cutting a guy taken after him at the same position while drafting one as a reach this year and another in the 7th (not prime planning). 

Farrell isn't my friend, kid, or relative so I really couldn't care less about Neil Farrell Jr having a career at all, much less with the Raiders (beyond not wanting anyone homeless, that is). It's not about the player that was moved. It's about what it symbolizes and, for many, reinforces about the regime's asset management and their lack of success on and off the field both past and present. 

I know I am just jumping in this debate and nobody wants to throw away draft picks.  We need to make a distinction between bad moves that should not happen, Carr trade or lack there of, and moves that happen from time to time in the league like the Farrell trade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Maybe but that's what many thought of JJ

Chris Jones has an argument of being atleast the 2nd highest paid DT behind Donald who makes 11M more per year. Now  he can afford to gamble because the money he would get because of DT salaries would be worth it. Jacobs had no leverage and no market.

Edited by raidr4life