Raiders trade DT Neil Farrell to Chiefs for 6th rounder

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

They will definitely rotate him in dude is strong as an ox. Imagine having two really strong guys Wilson and Nester on your DL with Mad Max and eventually drafting or trading for a stud 3T. It's kind of sad some people here can't see where this is going.

if Wilson becomes a star, and Nesta becomes a solid starting NT. That would be amazing 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

We all do. 

But this one hasn't been either. 

They came in and said "Not a rebuild" and traded a ton for a WR who won't be here 4 years from now. 

Now, we're very obviously rebuilding. Except we have 1 draft pick from 2022 that's even seen as a consensus good player.- Parham. This, despite having so many obvious holes going into the draft last year that even Trent Richardson could've found them. But....virtually no draft picks to use, except for redundant RBs and two DTs (our Achilles heel) that are already good as gone. 

Then they've not been able to capitalize on trades. Our starting QB walked for nothing. Our stud RB is practically assured to next season. Our best receiving option over the last half decade was jettisoned because our coach is an egotistical twerp. 

Then we came into this draft and took reach, luxury that wasn't an obvious need, reach, reach + luxury, depth, stopped clock moment, depth, thanks for ignoring LB til now, and we hope this guy maybe pans out. 

This regime can't be right (or, if you're a McDanielite, they can't be wrong) because they can't even decide if they're rebuilding, building, retooling, or gearing up. The moves made indicate trying to do all of them at once. 

Look, I know, Rome wasn't built in a day and not every rock was a keystone. But our cap is a mess and we're not good enough to just add 1 splash player and be competitive. At some point their picks are going to have to start sticking on the team for more than a year or we're going to be stuck in a cycle of constantly overpaying everyone else's castaways via FA- and our track record there isn't particularly solid either. Yes, Farrell was a 4th rounder- according to this same regime a year ago. Now he's barely draftable? 

It wouldn't be so bad if White were making any real impact, Butler at least wasn't waived,  Munford would step up to his potential and beat out one of our OL that should be beaten out by decent talent, and/or Brown made the team (because, let's be honest, McDaniels would carry 7 RBs if he could). But nothing. In another year, we may have 1 player from the 2022 class left, and in two years he's a FA already. That's their first draft class, basically zilch, followed up by reaches and self-inflicted "needs" in their second. 

Riddle me this, is our roster honest to God better than 3, 4 years ago? Is it honest to God better than what they inherited? Tell me a need that has truly been addressed without taking a massive reach. We can say they're keeping the best, but they're keeping the best of polished turds most other teams didn't want- let's be real, nobody was pining after Robert Spillane. So they either can't scout talent better than marginally polished turds or they're letting real talent go left and right for peanuts. Oh, we got a round pick for him? Congratulations? Guess we can field an all-Day 3 Flyer squad in a year or two the way they're racking up the late round picks everyone says are as good as garbage. 

How does any of that translate to "We have an actual plan and are clearly keeping the best talent"? Maybe we should make a point to keep track of the guys we've let go to elsewhere for next to nothing and really gauge once and for all if these amateurs have the slightest clue what they're actually doing? Lol

I don’t necessarily agree with this but I have to say I respect the way it’s written and you do raise some pertinent points and points I cannot answer satisfactorily. 

The FO have obviously made mistakes and they’ve definitely changed tack but a bit like Big Palooka, I just would like to see what they do in a full three years. What is the end game to all this?

We’ve been at this cross roads so many times over the last two decades of futility, with changing coaches and philosophies and schemes. I’m not convinced the FO are even right, on the right path or with the way they are approaching things or what their grand plan even is but I feel like we’ve tried the frequent changing of the guard and it’s not worked so I’m curious to see where this leads in the fullness of time. I’m strapped in here for the roller coaster 😃

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:
15 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

We all do. 

But this one hasn't been either. 

They came in and said "Not a rebuild" and traded a ton for a WR who won't be here 4 years from now. 

Now, we're very obviously rebuilding. Except we have 1 draft pick from 2022 that's even seen as a consensus good player.- Parham. This, despite having so many obvious holes going into the draft last year that even Trent Richardson could've found them. But....virtually no draft picks to use, except for redundant RBs and two DTs (our Achilles heel) that are already good as gone. 

Then they've not been able to capitalize on trades. Our starting QB walked for nothing. Our stud RB is practically assured to next season. Our best receiving option over the last half decade was jettisoned because our coach is an egotistical twerp. 

Then we came into this draft and took reach, luxury that wasn't an obvious need, reach, reach + luxury, depth, stopped clock moment, depth, thanks for ignoring LB til now, and we hope this guy maybe pans out. 

This regime can't be right (or, if you're a McDanielite, they can't be wrong) because they can't even decide if they're rebuilding, building, retooling, or gearing up. The moves made indicate trying to do all of them at once. 

Look, I know, Rome wasn't built in a day and not every rock was a keystone. But our cap is a mess and we're not good enough to just add 1 splash player and be competitive. At some point their picks are going to have to start sticking on the team for more than a year or we're going to be stuck in a cycle of constantly overpaying everyone else's castaways via FA- and our track record there isn't particularly solid either. Yes, Farrell was a 4th rounder- according to this same regime a year ago. Now he's barely draftable? 

It wouldn't be so bad if White were making any real impact, Butler at least wasn't waived,  Munford would step up to his potential and beat out one of our OL that should be beaten out by decent talent, and/or Brown made the team (because, let's be honest, McDaniels would carry 7 RBs if he could). But nothing. In another year, we may have 1 player from the 2022 class left, and in two years he's a FA already. That's their first draft class, basically zilch, followed up by reaches and self-inflicted "needs" in their second. 

Riddle me this, is our roster honest to God better than 3, 4 years ago? Is it honest to God better than what they inherited? Tell me a need that has truly been addressed without taking a massive reach. We can say they're keeping the best, but they're keeping the best of polished turds most other teams didn't want- let's be real, nobody was pining after Robert Spillane. So they either can't scout talent better than marginally polished turds or they're letting real talent go left and right for peanuts. Oh, we got a round pick for him? Congratulations? Guess we can field an all-Day 3 Flyer squad in a year or two the way they're racking up the late round picks everyone says are as good as garbage. 

How does any of that translate to "We have an actual plan and are clearly keeping the best talent"? Maybe we should make a point to keep track of the guys we've let go to elsewhere for next to nothing and really gauge once and for all if these amateurs have the slightest clue what they're actually doing? Lol

Expand  

I don’t necessarily agree with this but I have to say I respect the way it’s written and you do raise some pertinent points and points I cannot answer satisfactorily. 

The FO have obviously made mistakes and they’ve definitely changed tack but a bit like Big Palooka, I just would like to see what they do in a full three years. What is the end game to all this?

We’ve been at this cross roads so many times over the last two decades of futility, with changing coaches and philosophies and schemes. I’m not convinced the FO are even right, on the right path or with the way they are approaching things or what their grand plan even is but I feel like we’ve tried the frequent chafing of the guard  and it’s not worked so I’m curious to see where this leads in the fullness of time. I’m strapped in here for the roller coaster 😃

I have to smash both of these together to get where I'm at. 

I really want to give these guys the fair amount of time that just about every new regime deserves to get.

At the same time, I can't ignore the pile of poo in the corner that keeps growing.  Doesn't matter if it was just a tiny bit more added to the pile, it was still more added to the pile.  

The only way to get rid of the stank is to win.  I don't have faith that that will happen this season.  So that leaves me in a lose-lose position as a fan.  

The only positive I can see right now is that real football starts soon and we will stop arguing about this.  However, I think it's a negative because we will finally all be in agreement that we're just not good.

Yippee!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We’ve been at this cross roads so many times over the last two decades of futility, with changing coaches and philosophies and schemes. I’m not convinced the FO are even right, on the right path or with the way they are approaching things or what their grand plan even is but I feel like we’ve tried the frequent chafing of the guard  and it’s not worked so I’m curious to see where this leads in the fullness of time. I’m strapped in here for the roller coaster 😃

I agree with this. And why I'm all in on giving it 3 years. When you change the FO/HC the philosophy changes too. They usually end up overturning 50%+ of the roster and the recent draft picks become collateral damage. It's why the team has not been able to sustain success. We're on regime 4 in 11 years time since Mark took over. 

I tend to like the approach with the FO and the culture they are trying to foster. Can the camp energy, accountability, etc. translate over to the season now is the question. 

That said, last year ended up being a throw away unfortunately, in large part because they had the wrong QB. They learned the hard way you can watch the tape, but until you have the players on the grass you don't really know what you have. 

The path was probably to blow it up in hindsight. Admit the 2021 season was a lot of luck and they were not a playoff caliber team. But I get why in the moment that could not happen. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with this. And why I'm all in on giving it 3 years. When you change the FO/HC the philosophy changes too. They usually end up overturning 50%+ of the roster and the recent draft picks become collateral damage. It's why the team has not been able to sustain success. We're on regime 4 in 11 years time since Mark took over. 

I tend to like the approach with the FO and the culture they are trying to foster. Can the camp energy, accountability, etc. translate over to the season now is the question. 

That said, last year ended up being a throw away unfortunately, in large part because they had the wrong QB. They learned the hard way you can watch the tape, but until you have the players on the grass you don't really know what you have. 

The path was probably to blow it up in hindsight. Admit the 2021 season was a lot of luck and they were not a playoff caliber team. But I get why in the moment that could not happen. 

I am pretty much in the same camp although I was happy with Carr,  last year he wasn’t good and I can understand with the contract why the FO decided to move on. 

Can’t say I agree with everything they have done (who does?) Jimmys contract mainly, but I like what they have done in this years draft and that they have brought competition to various spots. Out of the 54 players currently on the roster they have brought in 42. Offense should be good and defense should be better, I am hopeful at this point for the season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I have to smash both of these together to get where I'm at. 

I really want to give these guys the fair amount of time that just about every new regime deserves to get.

At the same time, I can't ignore the pile of poo in the corner that keeps growing.  Doesn't matter if it was just a tiny bit more added to the pile, it was still more added to the pile.  

The only way to get rid of the stank is to win.  I don't have faith that that will happen this season.  So that leaves me in a lose-lose position as a fan.  

The only positive I can see right now is that real football starts soon and we will stop arguing about this.  However, I think it's a negative because we will finally all be in agreement that we're just not good.

Yippee!

This. 

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch aren't particularly good at evaluating prospects and not blowing prime draft capital either. Frankly, the 9ers may as well just load up annually on day 2 picks to save from the embarrassment they've brought to the draft over the last couple of years. 

Heck, McDaniels and Zeigler might genuinely be better at drafting than those two....which isn't saying much, to be frank....but hey, take the W right? 

So what's the difference? The 49ers have been a top competitor in the league their entire tenure and botching the early parts of the draft hasn't set them back whatsoever- almost unbelievably so. Under Shanahan, the 9ers have never gone through stretches of looking like hot garbage. Injury bug? No worry. Down to the 3rd string QB? No worry at all. Starters don't play? Our backup will probably start elsewhere next year if we don't manage to keep him. The machine keeps churning. Their assistant coaches are regularly hired for HC gigs and highly sought after, not scholarship coaches with a tie to Mike Shanahan or Gary Kubiak earning them brownie points. And, as you allude to, most importantly they win. 

If McDaniels could prove he can win, I don't care if we trade 6 first rounders for a backup long snapper. My problem is he amd his history haven't proven to win or build a team he just ran out of time on. The Broncos were totally overhauled under Fox and friends. Do one, preferably the first one, and I'll be the first to give credit. But it's really like a polar opposite with other teams that have whiffed on picks and bungled assets. Individually speaking, the 49ers aren't loaded with absolute studs. They have a few, but a lot of their roster isn't some magical collection of the NFLs best talent- their great coaching trumps their poor asset management, while ours so far is only exacerbating the other. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

We went with a vet (Jenkins) and the young guy showing more upside (Nesta). At least we got a pick for Farrell instead of cutting him. We had too many bodies at DT/CB and WR so getting any compensation is good to me. If we were 100% rebuilding I think they'd cut Jenkins and go with the young guys. Were not in Zona tank mode. lol

It does suck to lose value and especially with our current JMD/Z team losing value a lot but I don't think this team is more 'talented' than what they inherited but has more depth with is also needed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If McDaniels could prove he can win, I don't care if we trade 6 first rounders for a backup long snapper. My problem is he amd his history haven't proven to win or build a team he just ran out of time on. The Broncos were totally overhauled under Fox and friends. Do one, preferably the first one, and I'll be the first to give credit. But it's really like a polar opposite with other teams that have whiffed on picks and bungled assets. Individually speaking, the 49ers aren't loaded with absolute studs. They have a few, but a lot of their roster isn't some magical collection of the NFLs best talent- their great coaching trumps their poor asset management, while ours so far is only exacerbating the other. 

It's this

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We’ve been at this cross roads so many times over the last two decades of futility, with changing coaches and philosophies and schemes. I’m not convinced the FO are even right, on the right path or with the way they are approaching things or what their grand plan even is but I feel like we’ve tried the frequent changing of the guard and it’s not worked so I’m curious to see where this leads in the fullness of time. I’m strapped in here for the roller coaster 😃

It's pretty simple they tried to make a run with Carr and company and it didn't work, now imagine this fan base if they had cleaned house day 1.

Now they retooled the offense at most. New starting Guard, QB, and starting WR and TE that's it . The defense is more of a rebuilding, 2 new starting CB'S, SS, LB and NT. added slightly better depth on both sides of the ball in certain areas.

• Like 1

Damn people... That's a lot of our FO can't draft/develop/trade talk for a discussion on a 4th rounder traded for peanuts.

Leaguewide the % of DL drafted in the 4th round who become a consistent starter was 37% between 2005 and 2015. This kid not working out for us isnt anything special leaguewide.

• Like 4