Best Players cut?

Ozzy

The best of the lot has to be Rashard Lawrence. I think he was actually the starting NT for the Cardinals last year. He might be tied with Desmond King, a veteran NB for Houston (and the Chargers before that). A young guy took his job with the Texans. "He took yeeerrr jeeeeeeeeeb!"

On 8/30/2023 at 7:00 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Kuntz ay? A name that nearly all of us mock-drafted to our own teams in the 6th round 

I wonder if he's related to former Detroit Tigers catcher Rusty Kuntz (early 80s)?  I distinctly remember going to a card show at age 13 and buying the whole lot of his cards because.............I was 13

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I wonder if he's related to former Detroit Tigers catcher Rusty Kuntz (early 80s)?  I distinctly remember going to a card show at age 13 and buying the whole lot of his cards because.............I was 13

As far as I know, he is not. 

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:
22 hours ago, scar988 said:

Isn't he a backup on the Ravens?  Honestly with all the crazy hype he got, that dude has disappointed I would say.  Some workout warrior but is clearly not as rare athletically as his lumberjack videos made it seem....  John Simpson took his place or even the rookie Aumavae-Laulu who was a 6th round pick...

A competent backup is still an upgrade over what Jalen Mayfield was.

Tarron Jackson, Nicholas Morrow, Ben VanSumeren, Noah Elliss, Tyree Jackson, Mekhi Garner, Trey Sermon, Josiah Scott, Devon Allen,  and Janarius Robinson. These were/are all Eagles. 95% of them cleared waivers and either signed back with Eagles or nowhere at all. How do you include these guys but not K'Von Wallace and Joshua Sills who actually got claimed to 53 man rosters. Lol, there are 10 Eagles on this list! That's ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is that you genuinely didn't get why the Eagles didn't cut Kelee Ringo for one of these dudes.  Ringo would've likely went straight to Chicago with their first waiver claim.  Not that I'm saying Ringo is definitely going to become something but his potential alone makes him 5x more valuable than any of these guys. I'm sorry I can't take this seriously.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 8:12 AM, scar988 said:

A competent backup is still an upgrade over what Jalen Mayfield was.

He is now on the Giants practice squad.  Good spot for him and they need the depth.  Tyre Phillips is also on their practice squad as well.  And sure Mayfield might not turn out but not like he is a big expense either.  Same for Leatherwood on the Browns practice squad, sometimes one of those guards get hurt and nice to have someone back there.  And maybe he can actually learn a thing or two from Bitonio or Teller, easily the two best guards he has ever played with and hopefully they keep him at guard.

15 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Tarron Jackson, Nicholas Morrow, Ben VanSumeren, Noah Elliss, Tyree Jackson, Mekhi Garner, Trey Sermon, Josiah Scott, Devon Allen,  and Janarius Robinson. These were/are all Eagles. 95% of them cleared waivers and either signed back with Eagles or nowhere at all. How do you include these guys but not K'Von Wallace and Joshua Sills who actually got claimed to 53 man rosters. Lol, there are 10 Eagles on this list! That's ridiculous, and what's even more ridiculous is that you genuinely didn't get why the Eagles didn't cut Kelee Ringo for one of these dudes.  Ringo would've likely went straight to Chicago with their first waiver claim.  Not that I'm saying Ringo is definitely going to become something but his potential alone makes him 5x more valuable than any of these guys. I'm sorry I can't take this seriously.

Josiah Scott is now on the Steelers practice squad and there is still plenty of time for the others.  Noah Elliss is hurt so not sure he should be included or he would have been signed.  But there is still time for some others, oh and Tyree Jackson is on the Giants practice squad.....oh and Janarius Robinson is on the Raiders practice squad

As for Ringo, sure keep Ringo but I am surprised they kept Goodrich as well, clearly they want him as the backup slot and I agree with that I guess.  Doubt Ringo could pull off slot corner and Ricks could not either.

Devon Allen, well hard to not see promise in world class athletic ability like he has, and VanSumeren had a great preseason and the minute a teams needs a LB I could see him signed, same with Morrow who was good on the Bears last year I thought.

Edited by Ozzy
other players signed

On 8/31/2023 at 8:03 AM, INbengalfan said:

No relation. His dad, Gaping, does not having any other siblings. His mom, Alotta, is an only child as well.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 6:00 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Kuntz ay? A name that nearly all of us mock-drafted to our own teams in the 6th round 

NFL doesn't do projects well.   Not enough quality practice time built into system.  Basically you get a handful of weeks in training camp were they are still getting minimal reps. 

In season they aren't doing much as focus is on preparing starters for next game and keeping everyone healthy.

Why great foreign athletes seldom work out.

If you aren't drafted in first 4 rounds and/or demonstrate ability in first offseason it is an uphill climb.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

NFL doesn't do projects well.   Not enough quality practice time built into system.  Basically you get a handful of weeks in training camp were they are still getting minimal reps. 

In season they aren't doing much as focus is on preparing starters for next game and keeping everyone healthy.

Why great foreign athletes seldom work out.

If you aren't drafted in first 4 rounds and/or demonstrate ability in first offseason it is an uphill climb.

Certainly an uphill climb, but I think the NFL’s actually littered with guys who had to fight for a roster spot and then fight for a starting gig. Make themselves better over the years, sometimes with suboptimal practice time with coaches.

Just for NE, two defensive captains in the front seven were Day 3 picks. Jon Jones is the team’s most experienced corner, he was undrafted. JC Jackson and Jakobi Meyers were undrafted. Rhamondre Stevenson was a Day 3 guy. Michael Onwenu was a Day 3 guy. David Andrews was undrafted. Josh Uche wasn a 2nd rounder but hardly played his first two years, he needed a lot of work. Pretty sure FAs Kendrick Bourne, Lawrence Guy, Trent Brown, and Adrian Phillips were late round/UDFAs too, but I’m too lazy to check. Coaching obviously plays a huge role in that (along with fit) but it’s pretty common IMO for long shot/projects to work out. Guys do it.

I think foreign players seldom workout because it’s really hard to make it in the NFL and they’ve never played the sport. There are elite athletes who play football their whole lives that don’t make it - it’s hard. Expecting a foreigner to come over and be a contributor is a lot, even with coaching. Mailata and Ngata are certainly a rarity.

6 minutes ago, Soko said:

Certainly an uphill climb, but I think the NFL’s actually littered with guys who had to fight for a roster spot and then fight for a starting gig. Make themselves better over the years, sometimes with suboptimal practice time with coaches.

Just for NE, two defensive captains in the front seven were Day 3 picks. Jon Jones is the team’s most experienced corner, he was undrafted. JC Jackson and Jakobi Meyers were undrafted. Rhamondre Stevenson was a Day 3 guy. Michael Onwenu was a Day 3 guy. David Andrews was undrafted. Josh Uche wasn a 2nd rounder but hardly played his first two years, he needed a lot of work. Pretty sure FAs Kendrick Bourne, Lawrence Guy, Trent Brown, and Adrian Phillips were late round/UDFAs too, but I’m too lazy to check. Coaching obviously plays a huge role in that (along with fit) but it’s pretty common IMO for long shot/projects to work out. Guys do it.

I think foreign players seldom workout because it’s really hard to make it in the NFL and they’ve never played the sport. There are elite athletes who play football their whole lives that don’t make it - it’s hard. Expecting a foreigner to come over and be a contributor is a lot, even with coaching. Mailata and Ngata are certainly a rarity.

My argument isn't that late picks or UDFAs on rosters aren't common.   They are fairly common, contributors and some even very good.   Historically several are HOFers.

My argument, and it is trending more in this direction of late I think, is if you need to be taught/develop skill, technique and instinct- it is difficult to develop that within NFL practice structure time and roster limits. 

There are a lot of guys that have elite athletic ability that don't make league because of a lack of quality development reps.

It also makes it difficult to do position changes.  For example, the OL depth could be greatly improved if DL could be trained to be OL.    The DL pool of prospects has a deeper athletic pool to draw from.

This is because the best most athletic big men at lower levels of football will typically be placed on DL before they are placed on OL by a coach.   And the kids are happier to be placed on DL than OL because for many OL is seen as a boring and glamor less position.  

But OL is a highly skilled position.  It is difficult to master and takes time and reps.  If you don't make the change in college, it probably isn't going to work in NFL.

But you can move from OT to G, it is not as radical a change.   Many GMs are starting to wake up to this.   Same as above, a college or HS coach will typically put the better OL at OT before G.   So the OT pool is deeper than the G pool.   But still many just see Ts and Gs.   

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He is now on the Giants practice squad.  Good spot for him and they need the depth.  Tyre Phillips is also on their practice squad as well.  And sure Mayfield might not turn out but not like he is a big expense either.  Same for Leatherwood on the Browns practice squad, sometimes one of those guards get hurt and nice to have someone back there.  And maybe he can actually learn a thing or two from Bitonio or Teller, easily the two best guards he has ever played with and hopefully they keep him at guard.

Josiah Scott is now on the Steelers practice squad and there is still plenty of time for the others.  Noah Elliss is hurt so not sure he should be included or he would have been signed.  But there is still time for some others, oh and Tyree Jackson is on the Giants practice squad.....oh and Janarius Robinson is on the Raiders practice squad

As for Ringo, sure keep Ringo but I am surprised they kept Goodrich as well, clearly they want him as the backup slot and I agree with that I guess.  Doubt Ringo could pull off slot corner and Ricks could not either.

Devon Allen, well hard to not see promise in world class athletic ability like he has, and VanSumeren had a great preseason and the minute a teams needs a LB I could see him signed, same with Morrow who was good on the Bears last year I thought.

Yeah some of them made other teams practice squad which in all likelihood means the Eagles didn't even want them back on their own Practice Squad. So what does that tell you? I forgot to add Dan Arnold who you also put Dan on that list which makes 11 Eagles total.  K'Von Wallace and Josh Sills are both on 53 man rosters so I'd say they probably should have been on the list and those 11 guys probably shouldn't be on any list of "best players" in any context.  3 of these 11 guys going to other teams practice squad doesn't exactly support your point as much as you seem to think. It's actually an indictment on this list in general. I appreciate your respect for my favorite team's players but I can't agree with your list in the slightest.