Best Players cut?

Ozzy

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

NFL doesn't do projects well.   Not enough quality practice time built into system.  Basically you get a handful of weeks in training camp were they are still getting minimal reps. 

In season they aren't doing much as focus is on preparing starters for next game and keeping everyone healthy.

Why great foreign athletes seldom work out.

If you aren't drafted in first 4 rounds and/or demonstrate ability in first offseason it is an uphill climb.

I agree with the bolded. I've been clamoring for the NFL to make some kind of real developmental league. I'd like to see league where maybe players on each teams practice squad or in general some or all of the 37 players each team drops every offseason make up the rosters. Possibly with players of multiple NFL teams making up the roster, operating similar to the NBA D-league. That way, players would be able to get a lot more reps and put more film out there of them playing in high-level football games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

I agree with the bolded. I've been clamoring for the NFL to make some kind of real developmental league. I'd like to see league where maybe players on each teams practice squad or in general some or all of the 37 players each team drops every offseason make up the rosters. Possibly with players of multiple NFL teams making up the roster, operating similar to the NBA D-league. That way, players would be able to get a lot more reps and put more film out there of them playing in high-level football games. 

I kind of miss NFL Europe. I know it isn't the exact same thing but still. 

On 8/30/2023 at 11:09 AM, ET80 said:

So are we - I believe the plan is going with Derek Stingley, Steven Nelson and Shaquill Griffin, with Nelson manning the slot and Griffin taking boundary work on 3WR sets. 

I liked King, thought he’d be a fixture in the secondary. Oh well.

Prepare yourself for Griffin being burnt on repeat 

On 8/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

He's really bad. He may come back if cleared waivers, but he has no traits better than Jones (he's almost like a dollar store Jones and Jones is a dollar store QB), and he's been terrible this off-season. Did you see his pre-season game performance last week?

He's a good backup to Jones, and in that sense, I was surprised to see him released. But again I wouldn't be surprised to see him return. 

I will defer to your more experienced eye when looking at Zappe.  But what I have seen in limited action looks like a back-up QB to me.  He can run an offense that can move the ball slowly down the field and shorten the game.  I don't think that there is a future preferred starter there, but that looks like a back-up that doesn't lose you games.  

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will defer to your more experienced eye when looking at Zappe.  But what I have seen in limited action looks like a back-up QB to me.  He can run an offense that can move the ball slowly down the field and shorten the game.  I don't think that there is a future preferred starter there, but that looks like a back-up that doesn't lose you games.  

I think/thought he’s a solid back up to a Mac Jones offense. I don’t think he was cut because he was awful, it was a gamble because BB needed to play with the roster numbers. Big gamble. Clearly Zappe wasn’t all that positively viewed within the organization if they risked his spot, but yeah. Worth mentioning that they brought him back right away to the PS. 

Reports were that he was struggling big time in O’Brien’s offense. Very audible heavy, lots of pre and post snap reads. RPOs. The Patricia offense had virtually none of that last year. I’m sure that was a role in this too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soko said:

The Patricia offense had virtually none of that last year. I’m sure that was a role in this too.

I'm surprised a Patricia called Offense actually had verbiage? Not surprising they might struggle under a real OC, who's known for having a complicated scheme. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm surprised a Patricia called Offense actually had verbiage? Not surprising they might struggle under a real OC, who's known for having a complicated scheme. 

Lol. It basically didn’t.

Mac Jones complained about it early last offseason, that the new offense wasn’t giving him any room to make adjustments. Jones has been pretty comfortable in the BoB offense, Zappe hasn’t at all. 

On 8/30/2023 at 1:23 AM, jrry32 said:

Darius Rush getting cut is surprising.

Chris Ballard said that 7th round CB Jaylon Jones made the roster over Rush because he picked things up so well and looked much better. 

Luckily. Or unlucky for the Colts, 3 draft picks got put on IR before the cut down so Rush was the only draft pick cut. I think he was the only player the Colts cut that got claimed.