Is Shedeur Sanders a First Round Quarterback?

brownie man

Will Shedeur Sanders be drafted in the first round?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will Shedeur Sanders be drafted in the first round?

My gut says yes

idk if its this year or whether he'll wait to come out next year, but from what I saw he's going to go first round. At least early second. 

I'll be honest this was the first I've ever seen from him this past weekend, but from an accuracy standpoint he's a pro QB and his pocket presence is undeniable. Now its early and like I said I've never seen anything besides what I saw this weekend, but if I had to put money on it right now I'm going to say he'll go first round whenever he decides to come out. He's got height and size, and the bloodlines. We're not used to seeing a son play a different position than his dad, but when you really this about it Deion was more than a cornerback anyway. I mean look at Mahomes his daddy played baseball. Deion played baseball so maybe its even more of a carryover than that. 

I'll put it this way. What I saw on Saturday is better than anything I've ever seen from Will Levis. So I think whenever Shedeur comes out he'll be a first round pick. 

Edited by brownie man

Impressive first game no question but let us be honest, that TCU kind of defense sucks.  They have little to no real pass rush, Hodges provided a bit and so did Hodge but honestly I do not think Newton is this all world CB he was talked up to be and they were not even that great last year just were opportunistic.  Dee Winters is gone and he had 7.5 sacks at LB and Horton is gone and he had 10 sacks at DE and Tomlinson is gone as well who was by far their best cover man.  And one or two things do not go their way and they easily lose that game.

If Shedeur keeps it up, sure but he has what two easy games the entire rest of the season.  Colorado State and probably Stanford.  The rest are not easy at all, Oregon, USC Oregon State, Arizona, UCLA, Washington State, Arizona State and Utah!  And next week Nebraska will not be super easy but will be compared to those Pac-12 schools.  Sure everyone can talk Colorado but they have not really played anyone yet and just because TCU got to the Playoff last year does not mean they are a perennial college football powerhouse. They barely won games last year and when it counted got destroyed. 

I will say this, Deion is damn lucky to have his son at QB because one could argue without him he would have never had the success he did at Jackson State and would have never won this last weeks game against TCU.  The stability of his son at QB with all those new pieces and the leader of the team is massive.  Shedeur sure the hell was calm under pressure, moved great in the pocket and was pin point accurate at all times.  So yeah he could be a 1st round pick but also get in line with the rest who all could be.  

Will be almost impossible to keep up this current pace though,500+ yards a game at 80% clip against a conference which did not lose a game opening weekend.   

And now teams have a look at Weaver, Horn, Hunter and Edwards and will have a better idea of what they can and cannot do.  Hunter I would run all day against him, he does not want contact and will get physically beat down if he is asked to tackle consistently on D and it will wear him out defensively.  And Edwards is pretty much a slot WR that plays in the backfield.  Will be interesting to watch no question but they better not get too cocky, because their could be issues down the road and just imagine if Shedeur gets hurt.....

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

It’s way too early to say, obviously. That said, I would bet my entire savings account that he doesn’t come out til 2025, and he’s got all the talent and all the resources on the planet.

Seems like a pretty good bet to me.

Your entire savings account?  Sure hope that would only have a few grand in it....  Because not sure that is a great bet, say Shedeur keeps playing well and even if he loses a few games, no question he might come out early for this years draft.  There is a big mix of guys who are all maybe they will be great or maybe they will not be.  Shedeur is right in the mix of all of those guys, and that is not even including Leonard or McCarthy.   Those those two in and Shedeur is near the top of that list if he keeps this play level up over the next few games.

Jordan Travis Florida State RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
Bo Nix Oregon RS
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Cameron Rising Utah RS
Will Rogers Miss State

He could easily come out in 2024 if everyone goes his way.  Not sure anyone can touch Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, but even Ewers if he struggles might be in this same group and Penix if he keeps throwing darts he might be the only one close to Drake or Caleb.  

It is not a great bet saying Shedeur will not delcare this year in my opinion, especially with how the draft goes and any hot QB in the moment flat out bolts if they can.  All the guys that returned returned for a reason even though one could argue a few should have came out last year because the competition in 2024 is way too much.  

All these guys were 4-5 round picks in the 2023 draft.  No way guys like Rattler, Nix, possibly Rising or Daniels would not have been selected over these dudes and possibly in the 3rd.  Hooker was the only QB selected in the 3rd and no way these teams would not have selected them there.  

Jake Haener

Stetson Bennett

Aidan O'Connell 

Clayton Tune 

Dorian Thompson-Robinson 

Sucks to be a QB because honestly there are spots open in the NFL but not that many spots.  Some very solid QB prospects might not even get a chance in the NFL unless tons of guys instantly retire.  

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I honestly don’t like his release. This could be the toughest year to be a 1st round QB…ever

How so?  There are teams that want a future QB and plenty of teams that need a backup or developmental QB

All these teams could be looking for a future starting QB, depends on how Mayfield, Jimmy G and Howell do on their respective teams, same with Ridder and of course Love.

Arizona
Minnesota
Las Vegas
Tampa Bay
Washington
Atlanta
Green Bay

All these teams could be looking for a backup and project QB to develop potentially:

Cincinnati
Seattle
NY Giants
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Carolina
Buffalo
LA Rams
Miami 

I would say it sucks to be a QB in this draft that would be drafted in the mid to late rounds in this draft class.  Because guys who are usually higher picks will drop because of numbers, then the lower picks would be UDFA types and the usual UDFA types might not even get a shot.  

Most QBs drafted in the last 23 years was 15 in 2016 and 16 in 2002.  So usually around 8-15 a draft class.  And the list below does not include McCarthy, Sanders, Leonard, Van Dyke, Ward or Pratt.  

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Quinn Ewers Texas RS SOPH
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS
Jordan Travis Florida State RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Bo Nix Oregon RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Cameron Rising Utah RS

Above would be 15 total.

Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS

This list above would be 23 total so clearly that will not happen so many of these guys will not be drafted and most probably should be or are good enough to be.

Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Cade McNamara Iowa RS
Casey Thompson FAU RS
Spencer Sanders Ole Miss RS
TJ Finley Texas State
Max Johnson Texas A&M
JT Daniels Rice RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Payton Thorne Auburn RS
Emory Jones Cincinnati RS
Jack Plummer Louisville RS
Graham Mertz Florida RS
Jason Bean Kansas RS
Drew Pyne Arizona State
Jason Brown Jackson State RS

Then you have these guys who might just lose their shot all together, not a huge surprise but usually that list is not that long and many would have at least got a shot as a UDFA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think he and Deion stay through next season then both leave.

really? I think Deion has 4-5 years in him for Colorado. I think he's the type do go through a full recruiting class. 

He can take them to the top honestly. UC was a sleeping giant this whole time. I think he can get them to a national championship. I think they could get there next year with a few more transfers and if Shedeur stays. Maybe not Natty but they could for sure be in the college football playoff

41 minutes ago, brownie man said:

really? I think Deion has 4-5 years in him for Colorado. I think he's the type do go through a full recruiting class. 

He can take them to the top honestly. UC was a sleeping giant this whole time. I think he can get them to a national championship. I think they could get there next year with a few more transfers and if Shedeur stays. Maybe not Natty but they could for sure be in the college football playoff

I don't know, Deion without his son at QB could be a massive issue going forward.  Not sure Deion has near the success on the field without his son to lead the team and echo everything his dad coaches and believes.  

Recruits will love the hype and attention but not sure everyone is going to get rich off NIL deals.  Their depth currently is pretty awful, can he fix that, who knows because not sure he will be there long term considering how he left Jackson State just like that....  He can motivate kids and inspire them but his X and O coaching is some what suspect.  And if they win they will lose coordinators, yearly if they win big.  

Lucky for them they are not in the Pac-12 against those teams.  If they were moving to the Big Ten they could struggle, but the Big-12 is not super strong, they have good teams but not great teams that left.

Either way Shedeur Sanders is a massive reason as to why Deion Sanders as a coach has been so successful so quickly in both of his stops.  Hard to be super confident with tons of bravado when you lose.....

On 9/5/2023 at 8:06 AM, Scoundrel said:

It’s been one game… if he keeps it up absolutely. 

What if TCU's Defense is garbage...just like it appeared to be? 

Definitely need more games...and actually, more seasons to prove it. Says who? Parcells. He had a checklist for QBs and I believe one of them was 40+ games started at the collegiate level?

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

What if TCU's Defense is garbage...just like it appeared to be? 

Definitely need more games...and actually, more seasons to prove it. Says who? Parcells. He had a checklist for QBs and I believe one of them was 40+ games started at the collegiate level?

There is something to that with how Mitchell Trubisky, Trey Lance and Kyler Murray have been to some degree...and currently have the likes of Anthony Richardson but then there is Joe Burrow who did not have 40 starts in college....  But actually I think he said 30 starts and if so Joe Burrow is pretty close to that at 28 I believe.

Shedeur has 24 starts at Jackson State alone and lost 2 games in that time, with 30 what Parcells actually said he is pretty close to that already.  But yeah he will need to prove it and I do agree TCU is not going to be nearly as good as they were last year, they have an easy schedule early though outside of Colorado but could lose almost 6 in a row to end the year.  

• Like 1