2024 Draft

Ftn49

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Don't think what we did in free agency stops the 49ers from drafting an edge in the first. 

Agreed, at the same time, outside of Turner, Verse and Latu no one really is worth a FRP.

Just now, WhyAmIHere said:

Interested to hear some opinions on TJ Tampa.  I'm starting to see him mocked to the Niners more and more.  Feels like this CB class is Mitchell and then everyone else.  

I wouldn’t mind Tampa. He seems like a sure tackler and a good zone player. He’s also good in run support

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

I wouldn’t mind Tampa. He seems like a sure tackler and a good zone player. He’s also good in run support

I feel like he could be kind of like a bootleg DeJean.  Very physical, great tackles...kind of stiff hips, might not be an every down corner...but could play a "star" type role.  Edit: just saw he ran a 4.58 at his Pro Day, YIKES.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere

Pick 31

San Francisco 49ers

Ladd McConkey

Georgia · WR · Junior (RS)

McConkey in the first round? Yes. Above guys like Troy Franklin and Keon Coleman? Perhaps. I've spoken to a lot of people over the past few months, and I'm not sure there is a single prospect who's as universally liked and respected as Ladd. Tough, smart, selfless. San Francisco seems like a perfect home.

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-leap-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-vikings-stick-and-pick-cb-qb

I was one of the first on the McConkey to the Niners train. He's also the type of WR you want with Purdy, especially with how teams are defending this offense now. You need to be able to win with your route running inside 15-20 yards. McConkey is better against off man coverage at this point than press man so that is something he will need to get better at. 

The surprise was Schrager mocking Polk the following pick to the Chiefs. But those Washington WRs are really really good so not THAT big of a surprise. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 12:14 PM, NinerNation21 said:

This time of the year, every year, I think about how funny NFL prospect scouting is compared to MLB prospect scouting. 

I feel like with NFL scouting, it's A LOT of absolutes like "this guy WILL be an all-pro LT for the next 10 years." Or "take this guy in the first round and you'll never have to worry about the QB position again!"

MLB scouts are like "this kid has a chance to be an above-average 3rd baseman." Or "I feel pretty good he's an average catcher, but probably not an impact guy."

The difference between the two is vast and pretty funny. 

It is crazy.  MLB prospect scouting is more akin to projecting a player's NFL future when they're high school prospects, just due to their minor league system.  NFL guys are drafted as "major leaguers."  Three more have gotten in since, but in 2016, there were no #1 picks in the MLB draft until Ken Griffey Jr in the Hall of Fame.  Harold Baines, Chipper Jones, and now Joe Mauer, have joined him since.  The NFL and NBA seem to have a future Hall of Famer go number 1 every 3-5 years.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schrager-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-leap-up-for-j-j-mccarthy-vikings-stick-and-pick-cb-qb

I was one of the first on the McConkey to the Niners train. He's also the type of WR you want with Purdy, especially with how teams are defending this offense now. You need to be able to win with your route running inside 15-20 yards. McConkey is better against off man coverage at this point than press man so that is something he will need to get better at. 

The surprise was Schrager mocking Polk the following pick to the Chiefs. But those Washington WRs are really really good so not THAT big of a surprise. 

Think Polk is perfect for KC. Looks to me a bit like the WR version of Kelce. Will find the open space and catch everything. A nightmare pairing with Mahomes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'd like it more if they moved Deebo this off season, but nothing wrong with the pick. My selection of him in the shadow draft would largely hinge on who is on the board besides him, but he's not an auto re-pick for me. 

McConkey, Pearsall, or Roman Wilson (slot) would be perfect for Brock. Pearsall is very durable and a bit more physical than McConkey.  McConkey's route running is insane. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just looked at this mock and while I'm a HUGE McConkey stan, I see that JPJ and Newton are both still on the board.  If the Niners pass on those two guys for McConkey, it would be a colossal failure. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere