2024 Draft

Ftn49

29 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Top 30 Breakdown 2:

Sione Vaki

Impressions.....WTF, who the hell is this guy?!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sione+Vaki+highlights&oq=Sione+Vaki+highlights&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTUxOTlqMGoxNagCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e7e7a4c2,vid:myuN_NTIzlg,st:0

1:39, check out how he reads out this play from Safety(deep center).  He eyes the running back, but shades to the receiver.  Is this instincts or prep/coaching?  

I officially have my first draft crush.  The guy is Deebo on defense.  A NB who plays like a LB.  Holy Run fits batman.  

3:35 He is the Nickel back on this play.  He plays leverage really well.  Is he designed to be the force defender on this play, or does he understand defense so well he just gets to the outside?  He was toying with the dude trying to block him.  

4:03 Watch how he runs the wheel route.  He stays tight to the tackle, until the linebacker fully turns his hips, then burns right past him to the open part of the field, leaving the QB an easy and predictable throw.  Who is this dude?!

5:01 angle route?!

5'11" 210.  Classic 49ers DB. The 4.62 40 was surprising.  I thought he was faster, he seems to be running away from dudes out there.  

And I have only seen Vaki as a RB...I was impressed. So difficult to bring down and his field vision was so good for someone who was just a stop-gap due to injuries. 

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And I have only seen Vaki as a RB...I was impressed. So difficult to bring down and his field vision was so good for someone who was just a stop-gap due to injuries. 

He's hard to locate on defense.  He plays deep safety and that strong safety spot on the end of the line that HUF plays sometimes.  He also plays inside corner.  It's a modified Miles Jack role.  

He is exciting and confusing.  I am not sure if I would want him on offense or defense though.  He seems very smart and instinctual.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

He's hard to locate on defense.  He plays deep safety and that strong safety spot on the end of the line that HUF plays sometimes.  He also plays inside corner.  It's a modified Miles Jack role.  

He is exciting and confusing.  I am not sure if I would want him on offense or defense though.  He seems very smart and instinctual.  

And he's Polynesian! That's always a plus in my book--I know, that sounds strange, but it is. I absolutely love the Polynesian people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Vaki is definitely intriguing, but he also seems like a guy they might be galaxy-braining. 

I don't think so.  At this point in his development playing that edge spot with the ongoing fire call allows him to understand leverage at the RB position.  Then playing leverage allows him to play the edge and nickel positions from a point of understanding.  

I would pick a side for him, and stick with it.  I don't know which side I would choose yet, but I wouldn't fiddle around with him as a 2 way player at the next level.  

• Like 1

Marshawn Kneeland DE, CENTRAL MICHIGAN has nice athletic traits.  He can shed defenders and cover ground.  He gets his hands to the CMU offensive lineman before the lineman can get hands on him on almost every play.  Pretty impressive stuff, but I would want to see more against better competition.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Marshawn Kneeland DE, CENTRAL MICHIGAN has nice athletic traits.  He can shed defenders and cover ground.  He gets his hands to the CMU offensive lineman before the lineman can get hands on him on almost every play.  Pretty impressive stuff, but I would want to see more against better competition.

I like Kneeland against the run for an EDGE.  But I was pretty disappointed by his pass rush production/moves.  It just seems like he doesn't have the burst.  Like you said, good traits, but I didn't see any production or anything that wow'd me on tape. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I like Kneeland against the run for an EDGE.  But I was pretty disappointed by his pass rush production/moves.  It just seems like he doesn't have the burst.  

This is EXACTLY why I'm out on him as a 2nd round pick. You're not drafting pass rushing with him, you're drafting an early-down run defender. Is that really worth a 2nd round pick?

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is EXACTLY why I'm out on him as a 2nd round pick. You're not drafting pass rushing with him, you're drafting an early-down run defender. Is that really worth a 2nd round pick?

Yup, he's like a smaller, less versatile, far less productive version of Darius Robinson (who had 8.5 sacks last year, while Kneeland had 4.5 vs much worse comp). 

I don't think Kneeland is big enough to kick inside on passing downs either, while Robinson is perfect for that role.  He'd basically be a Ferrell replacement, but worse. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll see how the board plays out, but Michael Hall on my short list of round 2 guys

Michal Hall has all the makings of a beast. He's now bulked up to 295 lbs, ran a 4.75 40, and has insane production..........................and he's ONLY 20 YEAR OLD.  Yiiiiikes.  If they don't get Newton or Robinson, MHJ would be great. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll see how the board plays out, but Michael Hall on my short list of round 2 guys

Brugler had him at 43 to the Falcons, so I guess the only chance of getting him is via a small downtrade from 31. Don't think he is a FRP.