2024 Draft

Ftn49

17 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I think I just found my late round RB draft crush: Tyrone Tracy JR.  This guy is relentless and doesn't go down.  He cuts on a dime and he's only been a RB for like one year.  The kicker?  He played WR for 4 years at IOWA, so has good hands and can run routes...Kyle would have a blast with this guy.  

People cannot bring this guy down, he just keeps going.  Fun to watch.  Looks like a long strider but somehow he does some nasty cuts in traffic. 

One Of Us Meme GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

I see a guy like Malachi Corley, and I think to myself...why not Tyrone Tracy instead? Plus he can return kicks lol.  The age thing must be really hurting his stock, his film is awesome. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think you're getting anything close to that kind of real pass rush from him on the outside. If he doesn't win with power there, he can't win. He can't beat a tackle on the outside shoulder and bend an edge. You are extremely reliant on the power component of his game hitting. And it's possible....there have definitely been successful power guys on the edge who aren't the most athletic, but very tough task for him to be a reliable pass rusher on the outside with his lack of athleticism. Would remind me of a guy like Kingsley Enagbare on the outside (though worth noting, I did like Enagbare his draft year, but viewed him as a third round guy on the outside because of that profile). He does have violent hands and an excellent reach and size, but I still think it's an uphill battle to be a truly successful pass rusher on the outside for him. I still highly value traits on the outside and I don't think he has them so that really hurts my opinion of what he could be. 

As for the run defense...very stout right now, and I have no issue with believing he's going to be very, very good holding the edge as a base DE, but that's a little different than holding up inside, where he's still only 285 pounds despite how strong he is. That's still a little on the light side and I don't think he moves laterally well.  When you start dealing with those moving IOL in the run game, pushing those holes...I'm definitely a little concerned and I'm certainly not going to take for granted that he's just going to be good there. 

With Hall, there's a rather large bust component that Robinson doesn't have (Robinson at the very least has a Clelin Ferrell career, I think), we should all admit. Lack of size is tough and there's just a world where for as athletic and explosive as he is, it's not enough to make up for that. But again, this need to have him play the run? I couldn't care less. Not what I want him for. Given that he's undersized, I don't want to overload his reps anyway. Give him 450 snaps, 400 of which are pass rushing snaps and I'm very happy. We could sign Ridgeway for the vet minimum right now to eat run downs. The need to make players into complete players is just not one I worry about too much. 

I mean, Javon Hargrave has been bad against the run since joining the Eagles and that didn't change last year. Do I think more of him because he plays bad run defense for 200 snaps a year than  I would if he played 150 fewer snaps that came mostly away from run downs? Not at all. 

It'll come down to philosophy and what the 49ers want. I think for what the 49ers want, Robinson really fits the bill.  But Michael Hall, I'd even consider at #31.  To be 20 years old and that dominant is so rare.  

29 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

In the first round?? for a guy who will likely ONLY play slot/nickle? no way.  His agent must be putting in work. 

I think slot/nickel is now just one of 11 positions.  Having a guy with a two way go in man coverage, and trying to hit a jam on a receiver behind the line of scrimmage is a difficult and valuable job.  If the guy can make plays from there, it's worth it.  

Not sure if this individual dude is worth the pick, but I consider NB a starting defensive position in today's NFL.  We play against Puka and Cooper Kupp twice each year.  We saw what happened with Oliver last year. 

Lenior is a great player for the 9ers, and he plays nickel as well as anyone, so in that regard the positional value is diminished, but a guy good enough to start at nickel and push Lenior outside would be a welcome addition to the squad, but I am not sure it would be worth our 1st rounder. 

Branch was well worth the pick for the Lions last year.  He seemed like a headache to play against as well.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

Javone Baker.  Makes tough catches, is very productive, and makes getting separation look effortless.  He seems like he has a really natural feel for space and enough Rac juice to fit in.  

I was unable to determine his precision as a route runner, so I am not sure exactly where I would value him.   Lot's of good traits, more like AIyuk than Deebo.

Andru Phillips.  The kid has footspeed.  SO MUCH footspeed.....He's 5'11 190, I didn't even have to google it (but I did anyway).   He has matchup versatility which is cool.

He moves very quickly.  His back pedal and change of direction are very smooth.  He takes good angles and seems to be a very willing tackler.  I really like him, and I think he would fit in with what we do.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

One Of Us Meme GIFs | Tenor

Honestly it suprises me how much you like him given you are normally pretty much against older guys. Is it because RB in general is basically a one and done position?

19 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly it suprises me how much you like him given you are normally pretty much against older guys. Is it because RB in general is basically a one and done position?

Yep. He's a rookie deal only guy, but the position is often immediately transferrable. When I draft a running back, it's plug and play, it's really just about whether you got the eval right. In this draft, the running backs are primarily 3rd-5th rounds, so I'm fine with that

When other positions are older, I have concerns about what the upside is, how much better they can get because a lot of these aren't plug and play like that. Then you have potentially higher draft capital used to get them, etc. 

1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

In the first round?? for a guy who will likely ONLY play slot/nickle? no way.  His agent must be putting in work. 

The nickel role for this defense is extremely important. We've been missing it since K'Waun Williams and Jimmy Ward. Sainristil seems to be cut from the same cloth as these two. 

I wouldn't hate Sainristil in 1st as I know we will have a day 1 starter, but I do like Dejean, Bullard, Melton, and Phillips for this role too. 

We need one of them.

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The nickel role for this defense is extremely important. We've been missing it since K'Waun Williams and Jimmy Ward. Sainristil seems to be cut from the same cloth as these two. 

I wouldn't hate Sainristil in 1st as I know we will have a day 1 starter, but I do like Dejean, Bullard, Melton, and Phillips for this role too. 

We need one of them.

You really shouldn't be taking a nickel in the first round. Value isn't there across the league. I wouldn't take safety in the first round right now either. Would have to be truly special prospects. Just look at the safety market...its brutal. Because we have adjusted back to a lot of the league moving back to split safeties rather than middle of the field defenders, a lot of teams really don't need the elite safety to survive. 

They have Lenoir for the nickel role right now...they definitely don't have to push a nickel in the first when the value of the position as a whole is kind of meh. 

Now, there will definitely come a time when that circles back around (well, for safeties anyway....nickel corners have never been valued in that way, tbh) 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yep. He's a rookie deal only guy, but the position is often immediately transferrable. When I draft a running back, it's plug and play, it's really just about whether you got the eval right. In this draft, the running backs are primarily 3rd-5th rounds, so I'm fine with that

When other positions are older, I have concerns about what the upside is, how much better they can get because a lot of these aren't plug and play like that. Then you have potentially higher draft capital used to get them, etc. 

Plus he has low mileage given that he's only played one year of RB. Probably has 5-6 years more of productivity. 

• Forge locked and unlocked this topic