BDL 2023 Week 1 - Greenland Polar Bears @ Anchorage Trappers

SirA1

Who Wins?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Greenland Polar Bears
    • Anchorage Trappers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/14/2023 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2023 Week 1

Match:  Greenland Polar Bears @ Anchorage Trappers

Away Owner: @Pickle Rick

Home Owner:  @Scoundrel

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 2

Greenland Polar Bears

QB: Tua Tagovailoa 
RB: Saquon Barkley

WR1: Stefon Diggs
WR2: Ceedee Lamb 
WR3: Chris Godwin 
TE1: Cole Kmet 

LT: Rashawn Slater 
LG: Trey Smith 
😄 Tyler Biadasz 
RG: Aaron Banks 
RT: Christian Darrisaw 

Bench

WR4: Odell Beckham Jr. 
WR5: Van Jefferson
RB2: Cam Akers

_______

LE: Deforest Buckner 
NT: Jordan Elliott 
RE/OLB3: Travon Walker 

SOLB1: Joey Bosa
ILB1: Roquan Smith 
ILB2: TJ Edwards
WOLB1: Harold Landry

CB1: Marshon Lattimore 
CB2: Riq Woolen 

SS1: Justin Simmons 
FS1: Jordan Poyer

DL4: Bryan Bresee 
DL5: Gervon Dexter Sr. 
S3: Quandre Diggs
CB3: Joey Porter Jr. 
CB4: Emmanuel Forbes 
LB3: Devin Lloyd 
LB4: Jack Campbell 
LB5: Drew Sanders

Anchorage Trappers

Offense:

QB- Joe Burrow

RB- Breece Hall

X- Ja’Marr Chase

Z- Hollywood Brown

Slot- Treylon Burks

TE- David Njoku

LT- Andrew Thomas 

LG- Frank Ragnow

C- Erik McCoy

RG- Jamaree Salyer

RT- Terence Steele

Bench:

RB2- Tyjae Spears

RB3- Roschon Johnson

WR4- Jaxon Smith-Njigba

WR5- Josh Downs

TE2- Isaiah Likely

IOL4- Jon Runyan Jr

OT3- DJ Humphries

QB2- Aidan O’Connell

Defense:

Edge- Aidan Hutchinson  

UT- Ed Oliver

NT- Vita Vea

Edge- Haason Reddick

MLB- Micah Parsons 

Stud- Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

CB- Patrick Surtain 

CB- Jaylon Johnson

CB- Jaycee Horn

S- Jessie Bates lll

S- Talanoa Hufanga

Bench:

Edge3- Alex Highsmith

Edge4- Sam Hubbard 

DT3- Jarran Reed

DT4- Jordan Davis

LB3- David Long Jr

CB4- Derek Stingley Jr

CB5- Christian Gonzalez

S3- Kam Curl

Greenland Polar Bears

Gameplan

Offensive Formations: 3WR/1TE/1RB (30%), 2WR/2TE/1RB (25%), 4WR/1RB (25%), 5WR (10%), 5 Wide - using TE (10%)

Offensive Tempo: Normal tempo this week

Designed Playcall Distribution: 45% run/Slow Mesh RPO, 30% pass, 20% playaction, 5% screens

Running game: this week we want to use Anchorage's strength against them.  We will be running right up the middle at Vea and Davis.  We want to use their aggressiveness and trust in those guys against them. We want to run plenty of traps at those 2 d lineman.  We feel that they trust those guys enough to not give any help or pressure up the gut so by running a bunch of trap plays on them we can catch them cheating to the outside and leaving the middle wide open.  When we run our slow mesh rpo this week, we will definitely use plenty of trapping schemes there as well.  What we want to do is use both the same side tackle/TE and opposite side guard evenly in performing the traps so they can't get accustomed to which side the trap is coming from.  Later in the game once Anchorage starts to adjust to the traps by bringing guys to the middle, we want to shift to our outside zone running scheme.  Look for Barkley to have a heavy load this game with him coming off the field for rest 20% of the snaps.  

Passing game: This game we want to attack Anchorage in stages.  The first stage is going to be a decent dose of quick passes, slants, crosses and 3 step drops.  We want to get the passes out quick to counteract any blitzing from Anchorage and to get the DB's to start cheating up on the quick stuff.  Once we start seeing the DB's on the quick stuff we will move to stage 2, double moves.  We want to use the double moves to get to some open deep shots.  Stage 3 will be moving to our deep choice offense, by this time we should have plenty of time in the pocket for Tua as any blitzing will have already been neutralized in stage 1.  We also will be using Barkley in all stages by using him to fill in behind stacked receivers to the flat and wheel routes trying to take advantage of his speed against the LB's.  

RPO/Screens: RPO's and screens will be up to Tua to check into based on his presnap reads.  We want the play checked into an RPO when the LB's and S's are moving into the box and screen's when it looks like big pressure is coming.   The screen check downs will be WR screens mostly with an occasional RB screen.  

First series of the game: we want to establish the run with Barkley

Defense Base Formation: 3-4 zone blitz

Run Defense:  We feel that this game could ultimately be decided by how well Anchorage can run the ball vs can we stop their run game.  We will be loading the box heavy on run downs.  We want our lineman to push upfield as much as possible to disrupt plays in the backfield and trust our LB core to clean up things at the line of scrimmage.  

Pass defense: We want to blanket the field by using a heavy amount of zone blitzing.  We will switch into various zone coverages out of our 3-4 base to try and keep the pressure on Burrow and make him 1) uncomfortable in the pocket and 2) not know who is blitzing or where and what type of zone we are running. We feel that his brain will be more focused on not getting popped that he will miss identify zone schemes and we can get some turnovers.  This will also take away the deep ball and big plays from his stars.

Within our zone looks we want to bring a decent amount of blitzes from all over the field and to keep Burrow uncomfortable in the pocket 

Defensive rotation and formations notes:  we have DT, edge, LB, and DB depth to rotate in and keep everyone well rested.  As for formations, even though our base and dominant formation will be 3-4 we do want to sprinkle in some 4-3 and Nickle formations when possible on more clear passing downs 

Anchorage Trappers

Overview:  
We have a title to defend against a talented division rival. No hangover for this team, just continued dominance into the new season. This is a tone setting game right out of the gate and we will be ultra prepared to ensure we carry over last year’s momentum.

Offense: 
3 Wide (50%), 2 Tight (30%), 2 RB (10%), 4 Wide (10%)

A 60/40 Pass/Run play split is our goal this week. 3 wide is our base and most prominently used formation. 

Combo Routes:
Utilize all of our receivers to attack different depths of the field to remain unpredictable and pick apart preferable matchups. All three of our starters will rotate heavily between X, Z and Slot and also incorporate a healthy snap share for rookie JSN in that slot role in the 3 wide as well as in 4 wide formations. Chase is our alpha and he plays the most snaps of our receivers. Weaponize Chase’s speed and physicality to challenge deep and create YAC underneath. Plenty of deep shots with outside receivers to keep safeties honest and open up underneath routes if the big play isn’t there. Njoku will be able to give Burrow a safety net as well as a seam stretcher on various route combos. Likely will provide us with an additional move TE in our 2 tight sets to play inline or big slot and take advantage of mismatches as well as giving Njoku a breather in other sets.

Passing Game Backs:
Utilization of our backs in the passing game is key and screens will be featured to allow us to take advantage of a talented yet aggressive front 7. Wheels will be used as well as getting the ball in Breece’s hands as we move him at times to a slot role out of our 2 RB sets to create mismatches against a LBer or S. Chipping with backs if we start to see heavy blitzing as well as the screen game will neutralize their pressure. 

Play Action:
Our run game will allow us to take advantage of over aggressive Greenland defenders through the play action. Feature crossers and flood zones to provide Burrow with prime opportunities to take advantage of the inexperience of some of the younger Greenland defenders falling off in coverage or being late to read the PA. 

Rushing Attack:
Primarily Zone rushing attack utilizing inside and outside zone to allow our backs to choose holes and go, taking advantage once again of over aggression from the defense. Allowing us to kick out wide edges or seal in pinched edges with some cutback opportunities inside. Sprinkle in some man blocking concepts to take advantage of and attack weak gaps in the defense especially the DT opposite Buckner, as they have some inexperience there.  

Defense:
Base Nickel against 3 Wide, Dime against 4 Wide and Empty, 4-3 against 2RB/1TE. While Nickel is our base we expect to see plenty of 4 wide as they have talent at WR and one rostered TE. Against 4 wide sets, Hufanga moves to dime backer next to JOK, Parsons moves to edge opposite Reddick and Derek Stingley plays the dime. 4-3 David Long comes on and Jaycee Horn moves outside to CB2.

Coverage: 
Heavy mix of Single High Man and Cover 3. Sprinkle of Two High Man Shell and Cover 2. In Base Man Single High, JOK has RB and Hufanga has TE/RB2. If in 4-3 David Long has RB2, with Hufanga having TE. In Base Two High Man, Parsons has RB1 and JOK has TE. Against 4 wide more zone than man. Against empty strictly zone coverages.  If Diggs is outside, Surtain has him, if Diggs moves inside he has Lamb outside. Follow presnap even in zone and adjust accordingly to disguise coverage. Shade Bates to Jaylon’s side in Single High.

Pass Rush:
Parsons will be coming often on blitzes in both man and zone coverages from various gaps throughout the game. When not blitzing he will have zone, spy, or man duties. Parsons is our RPO eraser. Rotate a strong edge group to keep them fresh. DT’s will be rotated as well but starters will see majority of reps. Incorporate stunts and twists to free up rushers and bring more chaos to confuse the oline. On some clear passing downs/situations Hutchinson will see some run as an interior rusher especially against Trey Smith. We will look to get Reddick on the weak side of the oline to take advantage of no TE and get him in space to utilize his explosive pass rush repertoire.

Run Defense: 
Gap disciplined defense with NT two gapping allowing a free flow defender, usually Parsons, to chase down ball carrier and blow up those RPOs. Hufanga is in the box often to allow for extra run support. Physical with Kmet all game long, wearing him down as their only rostered TE as well as their oline with no depth.

• Like 1

Darissaw missed a couple of snaps due to an in-game injury this week. I don't know if we can take that into account - in doubt I won't - but not having a backup OL for these kind of situations is highly questionnable.

Greenland O vs Anchorage D

Anchorage edge rushing groups is absolutely insane. That's a good problem to have of course, but I was surprised to see Micah given coverage assignments. He barely does that anymore in Dallas and - if you ask me - it's a waste of his talents. Anyway, Greenland is one of the rare teams that can contend with Anchorage pass rush. They don't have any depth but their tackle duo is spectacular. I don't know if Greenland can necessarily gas out Anchorage with Saquon, but I do think Tua has some success throwing the ball, even as Greenland extends its passing game to deeper throws

Anchorage O vs Greenland D

I have no idea how to do this one. Burrow clearly was off this week, I have to take that into account. Don't love Ragnow playing guard, but I like even less Walker slated as a 3-4 end. I think Anchorage has a lot of success running the ball in heavier sets. Unfortunately that's a limited plan of their plan, but I think they can get big runs there. Greenland giving a lot of minutes to Porter Jr., who played 7 NFL snaps, isn't good either. Though JSN being incorporated in the lineup didn't really pay off either for Anchorage. I think Hall does a lot of damage here, as a runner against a very short staffed DL, and as a pass catcher. But I don't know if I can count on Burrow this week to manufacture enough offense on a consistent basis.

Greenland 19 - Anchorage 14

Bit of a weird one to assess if I'm honest, I might be way off.

24 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Darissaw missed a couple of snaps due to an in-game injury this week. I don't know if we can take that into account - in doubt I won't - but not having a backup OL for these kind of situations is highly questionnable.

It's entirely up to you whether you want to take it into account or not.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

It's entirely up to you whether you want to take it into account or not.

Yeah that's what I thought. In this case it was 6 snaps - so I assume one drive ending prematurely. Didn't matter too much in this particular case but it might in the future

Man, I'm really torn on this.

Greenland clearly didn't put a lot of effort into their gameplan, only listing three backups on offense and planning on using 2 TE for 25% of the game despite only having one on roster (never mind active).

Anchorage has a Burrow problem, and unlike most times when a solid gameplan could convince me that the player would do better here than IRL, the issue is basic health. Burrow just couldn't throw on Sunday, and Anchorage focused on deep balls that Burrow did not have the ability to hit this week. When the QB's not right and the offense calls for a lot of passing, that's a bad time.

I don't think either of these offenses perform admirably. I feel dirty voting either way. As much as I think Greenland had a strong chance this week, the total lack of depth on offense has to matter. Anchorage in some sort of lackluster 9-7 type of game.

• Like 1

hmm.

On one hand, we have a team with an offense that was broken this week, on the other we have an offense who has to throw away a quarter of their playbook right off the plane.

Burrow just didn't look ready to be out there yet and a deep passing game strategy against a zone blitz base prob won't leave him much time to hit the deep shots

Greenland 13-10

Wow what a game.

I think Pickle should’ve committed to a more pass friendly offense. Inspite of that, spending most of the early game running at the interior of Anchorage works because Ed Oliver is the starting DT. Micah prevents huge gains from happening but a respectable 4.0 YPC is feasible. It’s obviously one week and against a much better defense here, but Tua was the best QB in the NFL last week. He’s got some weapons to do damage with and I can see them establishing themselves with a quality offensive output.

As for Anchorage’s offense, Burrow’s performance definitely puts a cap to the offensive ceiling. Like Greenland, Anchorage probably committed to the wrong aspect of their offense. Greenland also possess the best 1-2 punch at CB I’ve seen so far so a healthy Burrow wouldn’t be able to shred this secondary as he is usually capable of.

That being said, if Anchorage did commit to the running game, there is success to be had. A 3 man front featuring Travon Walker could definitely have issues with a run friendly approach. Breece could definitely replicate what he did this week even on limited volume, particularly those runs to the left (Thomas/Ragnow is fabulous)

I think we get some points on both sides but I like Tua to make a couple unexpected plays and a non healthy Burrow is unable to match it in the end. An upset for sure, but I’ll take Greenland in the best week 1 game I’ve seen so far.

Greenland 23-20

I saw 3 bench players and was skeptical but honestly the positions that they don't have on the bench aren't positions where goods would normally rotate anyways other than TE so ultimately I didn't hold it against them. I think Burrow's struggles make this a close one but I still think Anchorage has the defense to stop all of these weapons. They're one of the only teams with the CB depth to really take on this many WRs at once. I think Anchorage will have success running the ball against this Greenland front and they can still get enough out of Burrow here to get the job done.

• Like 1