The Good, The Bad, The Winless Donkeys: Week #1 Post-Game Chat

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

OK, so there are other people in here actually evaluating what happened today. 

The win was nice. I disagree with Hondo though, this wasn't a good team finding a way to win. 

Let's be blunt- our offensive playcalling was still what can only be described as odd. We got an unfortunate gift when they took out Meyers, because that penalty pretty well sealed it. 

I don't think the Broncos looked very good either. It looked like two mediocre teams, except one was playing In a new system with a bunch of scrubs. We seemed very reliant on penalties to get into good positions, and Denver just happened to play sloppily enough to make it happen for us. 

Pros: Jimmy looked good, Jacobs looked good, Meyers and Adams looked good, and Graham made some level of adjustment on defense to stop a mediocre offense. Credit where its due, those elements were undeniably good today. 

Cons: Blocking was scatterbrained. Our TEs weren't utilized enough, and it's not clear why. Renfrow is invisible again, and with Meyers possibly out for a bit, our offense risks looking one-dinensional again- something we've seen Jimmy struggle with in the past. Our draft class looks really pretty forgettable right now, and while it's early, we can't perpetually "wait til next year". Wilson in particular looked awful in ways a lot of the detractors feared. Pass rush outside of Crosby was best described as non-existent by design as the staff initially simply refused to play Koonce- leading me to wonder what exactly they're evaluating in practice, because it picked up once he played. The secondary, outside of Hobbs wasn't good- they came up in some big spots, but it wasn't against the Broncos A-team, and guys were out of position way too often. Russ looked vintage too often. Penalties nearly defeated us, and the inability to get off the field timely on defense is going to be a problem against better teams. 

Overall, it's nice to open with a win. That's a step forward. How much of a step is totally up in the air. Denver blew it as much as we won it, imo, and I wasn't impressed by much that they did either. What we did do was certainly something that can be improved and built on, as far as on-the-field goes. My concern is counting the chickens before they hatch, and that's going to come down to Josh’s leadership. Enjoy the win, but understand how it happened and just how far there is obviously left to go.

The Bills are going to be a huge test. I don't expect to win next week. But we can learn where this team is at even with a loss- do we compete or do we flop hard once the heat is turned up? This is a win the fans should celebrate, the players too, but to a lesser degree. It should be a motivator win, not a pride win as there wasn't a whole lot to really be proud of. It was a bad showing that was just a little bit better than an even worse showing. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What would you say our biggest issue was today? Lack of speed on O? No concept of deep passes? Discipline? Lack of playmaker on D? For me, I'd go back to what has been the issue since we had Sapp, Tommy Kelly, etc.

We have zero push or passrush threat on the IDL.

The lack of discipline for sure. 

The offense looked fast enough to me, the deep shots were going to be limited by the weather and Denver's secondary. The lack of a playmaker on D is concerning, but all anyone is asking for is a steady and consistent D. The talent we do have is enough to at least slow opponents down a bit if they get off the field and stop drawing penalties. The pass rush wasn't great, but it picked up a few times. Russ isn't great at throwing, but he's still plenty mobile- enough to probably give even "good" pass rushes some fits. 

If we played with discipline, on both sides of the ball, we win by 10+. Not sexy, but effective. Effective can win 8-9 games on its own as long as they're disciplined and playing sound football. Not gonna have many blowout wins just being effective and disciplined, but wins are wins. Without the right level of discipline, I don't think who plays makes a huge difference- it would just be more frustrating to watch. 

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

we can't perpetually "wait til next year".

Apparently we have to wait two more years until we can criticize anything 

Wilson in particular looked awful in ways a lot of the detractors feared.

This is one of those things that no one's gonna pay attention to until we lose in the same way that nobody paid attention to the fact that Cleveland Farrell couldn't get to the quarterback until the week after we beat the Broncos opening week that year

How about this one: Renfrow(15 mil) getting less snaps than deandre carter(1 mil)

the staff initially simply refused to play Koonce- leading me to wonder what exactly they're evaluating in practice, because it picked up once he played.

Koonce is clearly in the doghouse

The Bills are going to be a huge test. I don't expect to win next week. But we can learn where this team is at even with a loss- do we compete or do we flop hard once the heat is turned up?

How that game shakes out will be telling

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What would you say our biggest issue was today? Lack of speed on O? No concept of deep passes? Discipline? Lack of playmaker on D? For me, I'd go back to what has been the issue since we had Sapp, Tommy Kelly, etc.

We have zero push or passrush threat on the IDL.

Mistakes...We look like a small ball Offense. As long as we're not flagged we should slowly move the ball getting 1st downs. One holding call and it's hard to dig out of. The good news is that controls the clock and keeps the Defense fresh and off the field. We just don't have the talent on Defense. They didn't stink it up but small ball works excellent with a top 5 D. We looked rusty but not as bad as last season with zero preseason exposure for our starters. We should get better each week on O but with small ball it's not the best place to allocate resources. Winning with all the mistakes we made is good and will give the coaches a LOT of things to clean up before the next game. A day to celebrate but then back to work as next weeks game will be more of a challenge. Keep growing and get the W's when they are there for the taking. 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tyree wilson looks like he has cement shoes on. No explosion at all.

during the draft season I watched some of his games /clips on YT. I never understood the hype. Here I am watching this game and he is almost always the last one off the snap (when they let him play) by a fair amount as well. Cement shoes is a way to put it,  and it's a major flaw to have (slow off the snap) . Did he even get a stat? I don't see one on the stat sheet

nice that the Raiders won, lets see russ fail with his new coach 

• Like 1

Good:

Team won an ugly game

Passing game/Pass protection 

2nd half defense

Bad:

1st half defense 

Run blocking

Ugly:

Hit on Meyers 

A lot of teams look bad week 1 so there will always be pessimism. Guys like Jacobs and new players still getting into game shape/sync with system.

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

OK, so there are other people in here actually evaluating what happened today. 

You haven’t evaluated anything,. You pre determined before the game that if we won you would downplay it. Pretty pathetic imo. 

I will say that equally those that are using Jimmy Gs performance to take shots at DC are equally as pathetic, he’s gone, move on. 

• Like 2