The Good, The Bad, The Winless Donkeys: Week #1 Post-Game Chat

RaidersAreOne

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our defense is probably going to get tore up but man I'd love a win

I need to see what Buffalo looks like tonight. We got them on short rest.

Jimmy G is a different dude. 53-21 career record. He’s won 44 of his last 54 games he started. 

I think if Buffalo wins, they might overlook us.  If they lose we could get boat raced 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Jimmy G is a different dude. 53-21 career record. He’s won 44 of his last 54 games he started. 

I think if Buffalo wins, they might overlook us.  If they lose we could get boat raced 

This is possible. Regardless, A win here would say alot

Edited by Jeremy408

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

Delighted with the win but was a frustrating watch. There were a number of real positives - and positives in pretty important ways moving forward, but there were so many mistakes and familiar ones at that so it’s hard to shake the feeling that there will be further frustration from the same historic issues plaguing us during the season.

Jimmy was the obvious main positive. He just looks so calm and unhurried in his decisions.

But there were other big pluses that should bode well for the season and beyond. Having 3 genuinely elite players in JJ, Maxx and Adams who regardless of the pieces around them or how the opposition scheme against them will make an impact. Adam’s won’t always have someone as good as Surtain blanketing him.

I was also happy to see some positive performances from other players and units. I thought Hobbs looked back to himself, Deablo made some actual plays (after his brain fart!), Meyers looks to be a proper no. 2 and the oline did really well in pass pro.

I thought there were some promising aspects to others performances, but not consistently or without concerns. Spillane looked the part at times, even dropping back, but had one big whiff and a couple of other loose plays. Bennett looked good against the run, a very solid tackler and had that excellent PBU taken away by a debatable call. He did look panicky when targeted - which is to be expected.

The frustration comes from players still making rudimentary mistakes that they should have improved on - Moehrig, Tillery, Eleumenor. That and seeing players who seemingly don’t offer a lot, given minutes over others who seem to offer more (what do Nichols and Tillery do? Why isn’t Koonce in most of the time?)

I was going to do a review but it’s basically this 😁 

I do agree about the two vet DTs, it’s still really early in the season but I feel like we know who they are. He’s raw and inexperienced but I’m sure Silvera would add something more. I back my judgement on him. Unless Tillery and Nicholls offer something by game three I’d throw the young guy in, maybe alongside Jenkins.

I do really like CBs who tackle too. 

18 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

They have weak oline but other than Crosby nobody to fear. JA is going to dice em up. I don’t think Jimmy will be able to keep up imo

47 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is possible. Regardless, A win here would say alot

We beat Buffalo and I'm going to start to believe in this team being a legit playoff contender.  I just don't see it happening.  But if it does, SB Champs 2024!!!  Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This koonce not playing thing is annoying af. First he had to sit for chan now they tryna force feed Wilson. All he does is just ball every dam time he gets a chance 

I don’t get it, kid is explosive and is always creating pressure. I get not playing run downs as much but dude needs to be in on pass situations.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I was going to do a review but it’s basically this 😁 

I do agree about the two vet DTs, it’s still really early in the season but I feel like we know who they are. He’s raw and inexperienced but I’m sure Silvera would add something more. I back my judgement on him. Unless Tillery and Nicholls offer something by game three I’d throw the young guy in, maybe alongside Jenkins.

I do really like CBs who tackle too. 

So odd. I couldn’t tell the exact amount each player rotated in, but it seemed that as soon as they broke up the Tillery, Jenkins and Nichols line up, they began having more success. Especially when Koonce was in. 

The Tillery resign was a really strange one as it seems out of kilter with the other FAs they picked up like Spillane and Epps. Tillery seems the very opposite of the reliable, do your job type. As a purely 3rd down option, I could live with him - but I just don’t what he does well enough. And same with Nichols, who I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed in any game of his I’ve watched…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

They have weak oline but other than Crosby nobody to fear. JA is going to dice em up. I don’t think Jimmy will be able to keep up imo

Goes back to something I said earlier:

If we can play with discipline and keep the clock on our side, we have a fighting chance. Nobody on our team is likely to lead the league in sacks, ints, ff's, yardage, etc. We lack the special playmakers on D especially to even consider it. But the offense has the ability to sustain drives and limit how long an opponent can hang onto the ball and chew up the clock. The problem is our defense notoriously giving up looooooooong drives and not giving our offense a chance to go do their thing and slow roll down the field, and a lot of that comes from stupid penalties or guys being way out of position. 

We aren't gonna blow anyone out with what we have, but there's no reason we can't be in a bunch of tight contests as long as guys play with discipline. 16-15 or 40-0, a win is a win to build on. We have to accept a bend-but-dont-break D....provided they at least don't break. That was an Achilles heel last year. 

Against Buffalo I want to see the following:

1. Koonce and Young need to start. Screw the pecking order, screw whatever doghouse there is. Play the best players. The D looked more capable once those two were in the game. 

2. One minor criticism I have, which we didn't do but a lot of people seem to want us to do, is the deep ball. I don't want to see it unless it's necessary. The last thing we need to try and do is get into a shootout with our D being so unproven. I actually preferred most of the calls yesterday- a couple of deep shots from good positions, but not trying to boost up fantasy stats for the sake of it. Control the ball on O and limit the amount of time Buffalo has to grind us down. 

3. Clean up the penalties. We had way too many yesterday, and most were bad. Denver was equally undisciplined- and frankly just outright dirty in some cases- but I don't expect better teams to do the same. 

Josh is 2-0 for me this year so far. I want 9 wins total. The whole reason I avoid the "improvement" argument is that it's fairly subjective and a solid, tight, efficient 6-11 team is still a 6-11 team. But there is value to be taken from probable losses. A good showing in a loss vs Buffalo would honestly impress me more than yesterday's win- provided it's a true turning point and not a 1-off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Defense didn't surprise me in the least. I expected their performance.

However, 3rd year in this offensive system with maybe the most talented offense we've had in years and a head coach who's calling card is supposed to be his offensive genius, I expect alot better cause our only chance of being competitive is if the potential of this offense comes to fruition.

So I will be highly critical of McDaniels and his offense every week. It's the reason he was hired.

Look around the league damn near every game went under the total, it's week 1. Sheesh, and it's only year 2 in this offensive system with a new QB.

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

So odd. I couldn’t tell the exact amount each player rotated in, but it seemed that as soon as they broke up the Tillery, Jenkins and Nichols line up, they began having more success. Especially when Koonce was in. 

The Tillery resign was a really strange one as it seems out of kilter with the other FAs they picked up like Spillane and Epps. Tillery seems the very opposite of the reliable, do your job type. As a purely 3rd down option, I could live with him - but I just don’t what he does well enough. And same with Nichols, who I can’t say I’ve ever really noticed in any game of his I’ve watched…

I feel the same, Tillery can flash as a pass rusher occasionally but he’s a rotational 3rd down player only to me. Nicholls isn’t terrible but just seems like he’s kind of anonymous. Not good seeing Young getting marched back five yards 1 on 1 either a couple times.

It’s only one game of course and things can improve but it’s not a great way to start. Wilson is just so slow off the snap and upright too with a basic bull rush, despite being freakishly strong he can’t use it as his leverage is poor, he’s obviously got tons of time to add some finesse and work on his get off and getting his hips down but it just goes to show that NFL tackles are a bit harder work than sleds in TC. Wilson looked exactly like we suspected, he needs 18 months realistically but he may flash in the off game this year.

I just don’t get the reluctance with Koonce, he just flashes every time he hits the field. He has that explosiveness and agility the others (sans Crosby) lack.

• Like 1