The Good, The Bad, The Winless Donkeys: Week #1 Post-Game Chat

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Lol, what did you evaluate? You had already decided it wasn’t a win to be happy about it. You blindly just refer to our recent record against the Broncos. 

Unfortunately for you, you have  decided that you don’t like the FO so now can’t give an objective opinion. I’ll look forward to you trotting out some excuses each week just in case we get a win. 

What I evaluated: That we were around the same as when we beat them last time. That we actually scored less points against them then we had in the recent past(since 2021). The first round pick doesn't look like a first rounder(which is to be expected provided the fact that he was injured when we drafted him. he will need time to get in shape). Davante Adams did what Davante Adams does. I mentioned that Renfrow was non-existent(which is troubling considering he gets paid 15 million he seemed to be getting less snaps than DeAndre Carter. 

Sure I don't like the FO just like I didn't like when we originally drafted Josh Jacobs in the first round. I can be proven wrong like I hope the FO do prove me wrong. It's just more than likely they won't just like more than likely we're probably not going to be the Bills next week which once again if they do I will be overjoyed and it will be a step in the right direction. Let me show you classic homerism: What does the fact that I don't like the front office have anything to do with the fact that I don't think it really matters that we beat the broncos for the seventh straight time? It doesn't. It just triggered you so you felt like you had to defend something that had no need to be defended. 

As far as troutting out excuses each week: Who else on the schedule that we beaten for three years straight? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ptbn4lo4ysg357nma9

It's week 1. This fan base is so emotional. 

Defense didn't surprise me in the least. I expected their performance.

However, 3rd year in this offensive system with maybe the most talented offense we've had in years and a head coach who's calling card is supposed to be his offensive genius, I expect alot better cause our only chance of being competitive is if the potential of this offense comes to fruition.

So I will be highly critical of McDaniels and his offense every week. It's the reason he was hired.

• Like 1

Delighted with the win but was a frustrating watch. There were a number of real positives - and positives in pretty important ways moving forward, but there were so many mistakes and familiar ones at that so it’s hard to shake the feeling that there will be further frustration from the same historic issues plaguing us during the season.

Jimmy was the obvious main positive. He just looks so calm and unhurried in his decisions.

But there were other big pluses that should bode well for the season and beyond. Having 3 genuinely elite players in JJ, Maxx and Adams who regardless of the pieces around them or how the opposition scheme against them will make an impact. Adam’s won’t always have someone as good as Surtain blanketing him.

I was also happy to see some positive performances from other players and units. I thought Hobbs looked back to himself, Deablo made some actual plays (after his brain fart!), Meyers looks to be a proper no. 2 and the oline did really well in pass pro.

I thought there were some promising aspects to others performances, but not consistently or without concerns. Spillane looked the part at times, even dropping back, but had one big whiff and a couple of other loose plays. Bennett looked good against the run, a very solid tackler and had that excellent PBU taken away by a debatable call. He did look panicky when targeted - which is to be expected.

The frustration comes from players still making rudimentary mistakes that they should have improved on - Moehrig, Tillery, Eleumenor. That and seeing players who seemingly don’t offer a lot, given minutes over others who seem to offer more (what do Nichols and Tillery do? Why isn’t Koonce in most of the time?)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Delighted with the win but was a frustrating watch. There were a number of real positives - and positives in pretty important ways moving forward, but there were so many mistakes and familiar ones at that so it’s hard to shake the feeling that there will be further frustration from the same historic issues plaguing us during the season.

Jimmy was the obvious main positive. He just looks so calm and unhurried in his decisions.

But there were other big pluses that should bode well for the season and beyond. Having 3 genuinely elite players in JJ, Maxx and Adams who regardless of the pieces around them or how the opposition scheme against them will make an impact. Adam’s won’t always have someone as good as Surtain blanketing him.

I was also happy to see some positive performances from other players and units. I thought Hobbs looked back to himself, Deablo made some actual plays (after his brain fart!), Meyers looks to be a proper no. 2 and the oline did really well in pass pro.

I thought there were some promising aspects to others performances, but not consistently or without concerns. Spillane looked the part at times, even dropping back, but had one big whiff and a couple of other loose plays. Bennett looked good against the run, a very solid tackler and had that excellent PBU taken away by a debatable call. He did look panicky when targeted - which is to be expected.

The frustration comes from players still making rudimentary mistakes that they should have improved on - Moehrig, Tillery, Eleumenor. That and seeing players who seemingly don’t offer a lot, given minutes over others who seem to offer more (what do Nichols and Tillery do? Why isn’t Koonce in most of the time?)

Good breakdown. Moehrig had a couple of nice tackles and I thought the secondarys tackling in the main was very good. Bennett’s tackling was excellent. 

I'm watching Hondo's post-game podcast and he pointed out a nice fact: We held them to less than 100 yards on O the second half. That's incredible. 

I think we can all agree Denver looked a lot better this game than at any point last season. Their O has absolutely improved. Yet PG made some awesome adjustments and the boys held.

That's encouraging. 

• Like 5

I also want to bring up again how well our pass protection was. Jimmy G had so much time back there. The OL did great for the most part, but Jacobs was awesome in that regard too. I thought our TE's were pretty meh at blocking but that's somewhat expected with a rookie in Mayer.

I also think another reason why they looked good was the fact Jimmy G has very nice movability in the pocket and knows when/where to step up, and even take off if needed. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Defense didn't surprise me in the least. I expected their performance.

However, 3rd year in this offensive system with maybe the most talented offense we've had in years and a head coach who's calling card is supposed to be his offensive genius, I expect alot better cause our only chance of being competitive is if the potential of this offense comes to fruition.

So I will be highly critical of McDaniels and his offense every week. It's the reason he was hired.

This is year 2 my guy. Kind of nullifies the rest of your post. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Since we're most likely losing the game against the Bills:

You will be analyzing/evaluating how JMD and the whole FO is a failure.

Why would I? Just like this week isn't indicative of anything if we win because the Broncos are a worst team than us. It's also not indicative of anything if we lose next week because the bills are a better team than us. That's just objective evaluating. It would actually be more telling if we lost this last week just like it'll be more telling if we win next week. 

Now once again: notice how this has nothing to do with the front office or how I feel about them. Just reality(something that the typical homer loses grasp of in order to blindly support and defend their team).