GDT Week 2: Packers at Flacons

mikebpackfan

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Lol I can live with the defense having 3 good quarters and crapping the bed in the 4th, but I can't live with the offense having 3 good quarters and crapping the bed in the 4th.

What kind of take is this???

They weren't really good the entire game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

24 should be enough to win this game especially when you're missing 4 of your top 4-5 offensive players

No argument from me there.  Still doesn't let the offense completely off the hook for the Q4 implosion.  A couple plays from the offense in Q4 wins the game just as easily as a couple from the defense.  Neither side was up to the task.

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think they should be able to complete atleast one pass and get a single first down. Not really high expectations. 

Not that I disagree with it, but we're going to ignore that we had 42 minutes of "good" defense by the Packers (at least by their standards) before just crumbling under pressure.  How do you explain the fact that the Falcons went for it on 4th down more than they punted?

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The only thing that worries me about MLF is the possibility that he still doesn't view Barry as a problem.  We're talking about the guy who was reluctant to replace the worst ST coach in the league a couple years back.

This is the big question in my mind about LaFleur.  Its called "Head Coach" for a reason, which means he is responsible for all coaches hired.  Barry is sub-optimal at best but I guess LaFleur is willing to go down with him at the helm of the defense.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

No argument from me there.  Still doesn't let the offense completely off the hook for the Q4 implosion.  A couple plays from the offense in Q4 wins the game just as easily as a couple from the defense.  Neither side was up to the task.

I can't get behind the idea that the timing of the points matter. If we had scored in 4th Q instead of 3rd and still ended up with 24 I feel the same way

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I can't get behind the idea that the timing of the points matter. If we had scored in 4th Q instead of 3rd and still ended up with 24 I feel the same way

Sure, I've got no problem with that stance, but did we get a 4th Q first down? You can't have that stance regarding TOP when you have the lead. A 5 minute drive with no points is still very valuable, 3 and out multiple times is unacceptable.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Coming out of three Q4 possessions with a total of 7 yards and zero first downs does matter.  I can't give the offense a free pass on that.  I get that they'll have their ups and downs, but the Q4 offense certainly played a part in how this potential win was flipped to a loss.

• Like 3